AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thought this might be useful for X1 owners on the fence to upgrading to a 4805. I had an X1 (flashed to a 4800) for a year and just got the 4805. You all know the spec differences, so I won't elaborate.

The first thing I noticed was the case was slightly different. Instead of a dark grey/light grey case, it was all light grey. There are a few more buttons on the unit too. It has built in RGB composite cables, so no more dongle for hi-def signals for me. The unit ships with a much better remote. Not only is it lighted, it has some nice features such as User Settings and Contrast and Brightness. Plus it's a WHOLE lot more responsive. I think the sensor on the 4805 is better because I used to have to go around to the front of my X1 to have it see the signal, but the 4805 is able to see the signal from behind the unit, bouncing off a wall.

Menus are much more advanced with more options like translucent menus, more color correction control and gamma control. The unit is more responsive and reacts to the remote much faster, it's just zippier. This is something that bothered me about the X1. It just seemed to be two steps behind what I was doing; not so with the 4805.

One thing that threw me (literally) was the THROW. This has a shorter throw and I was pretty upset to have to move the mount on my X1 closer to the screen to accommodate. The picture was about 4 inches larger all around than the X1 on the same screen. Not a deal breaker, but an annoyance I didn't anticipate since I thought the units were so similar.

Warm up time seems much shorter. The X1 would take about 5 minutes to get to full brightness but this one is ready to go in about a minute. It also beeps when you turn it on (you can turn that feature off).

The 16 x 9 native picture is really nice. It was one of the motivating factors to upgrade since I hated having dark grey bars above and below the 16 x 9 screen I made.

Okay, so, how's the picture? I'd say it's about a 40% improvement. Not earth shattering since the X1 was pretty good, but contrast and color are much better. Interestingly, it doesn't seem quite as sharp. I haven't had time to really fine tune the focus but text doesn't seem as tack sharp.

Screen door seem much larger and more pronounced on the X1, although I've read the opposite to be true. I sit pretty far back so screen door and even resolution aren't a problem.

Colors are really punchy and I can view the picture with a 60 watt lamp on and a little daylight coming in with no problem; something I couldn't do with the X1. This projector is much more tolerant of daylight than the X1. There are even "Bright Room" settings and a Hi-Power option that shortens the lamp life and runs a loud fan. It's not necessary for me to have this on, however.

Rainbow is less than the X1 as expected with the faster color wheel, although I wasn't too sensitive to RBE. It also is a smoother, more stable image. Hi-Def looks really good as does DVD through my upscaling Zenith. The picture is so much better that I now see the flaws in my system, like a small ripple in my screen and the slightest banding in solid areas from my cheap 50 foot component cable run.

Fan noise is less than the X1 in "low power" mode but much higher in "high power" mode. Since I run in low power, it's better than the X1.

Overall this was a worthwhile upgrade for me that cost about $350. I would say the max upgrade factor for me would be about $500 before it's not worth it. If you don't have a projector, a 4805 is a no brainer for the money. If I sat closer to the screen, I'd consider the hi-def offerings out there, but for half the price, this unit fit the bill nicely!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Nice review....

I was wondering though why you couldn't just play with the zoom lens a little bit to accomodate the change in the throw rather than having to move the projector.... Or was the height of the picture the problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was zoomed out all the way and could only go larger. When I put up the X1 I thought having any zoom at all would degrade the picture. Now I am having a different problem. Sometimes the picture on the 1080i or 720 goes all wonky and is really oversaturated and pixelated. If I reset the projector it goes normal. Not sure if it's a setting, my cabling or there's something wrong with the unit. Will wait and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Try pressing the auto-image button on the remote.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowser1
I was zoomed out all the way and could only go larger. When I put up the X1 I thought having any zoom at all would degrade the picture. Now I am having a different problem. Sometimes the picture on the 1080i or 720 goes all wonky and is really oversaturated and pixelated. If I reset the projector it goes normal. Not sure if it's a setting, my cabling or there's something wrong with the unit. Will wait and see if it happens again.
How big is your screen?

Greg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should read the manual, but what's the auto image do? I didn't have that on the X1. Re the screen, it's about 101" long. I guess I could build a slightly bigger screen but it's easier to move the ceiling mount up another 4 inches. In the words of Maxwell Smart, "I missed it by *that* much."

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The auto-image button will resync the source.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why is this necessary? the x1 didn't need to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
The auto-image button will resync the source.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The original 1.02 firmware on the 4805 has this problem. It is fixed in the 1.13 firmware so you don't have to use the auto-image button, it will resync automatically. The 1.13 firmware has some problems of its own (See sticky) and many are still using the original firmware.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Wowser,

Just to add some useless info but the X1 actually does have an auto image button, it's not on the remote but on the PJ.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So, how is the 4805 hooked up to a PC? can you really tell the lack of resolution?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
To add yet more useless info, in the X1 menus you can set it so the "effect" button on the remote activates auto-image. I have the effect key learned to my universal remote and use it fairly often when running off the HTPC, where the image sometimes gets a bit offset. Hitting auto-image fixes it. Never have this problem on the component input from my cable box, though.

wowser: Getting back on topic, after spending some time with the unit do you still think the 4805 is not as sharp as the X1? I'm surprised by that statement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.