AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edit --- a new X1 question posted by me on down in this thread.

Well, I have run out of things to watch on the X1. Since I learned today TimeWarner won't be here Monday ( Dec 27 now), I am connecting my old VHS player again. If you saw my review of the X1, you remember the first picture I saw came from the VCR.

Now the problem. I can't display a picture from the VCR. I have temporarily mounted the projector and thus have no composite cable long enough. So, I decided to use my receiver as the input selector. Connected the DVD and VCR to the receiver and connected the receiver via S-video to the projector. DVD works just fine. VCR does not. Nothing but a blue picture.

When I connected the VCR last week it went in the composite input. All was fine. So, am I doing something wrong now? S-video won't accept old composite signal via receiver?

Help me please! I want to watch something different!

patrick

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Most receivers will simply pass through the S-video input to the S-video output and similarly the composite to composite. They generally don't interconvert. (You probably wouldn't want to BTW. Converting S-video to composite is a sin against all that is holy in the HT world. And converting composite to S-video is trickly and your projector probably does this as well as can be expected.)

Hence, when you only run an S-video cable to the projector, you are only going to be able to feed through those program sources that had S-video into the receiver.

You need to run a composite cable to the projector. I have all kinds of cables running to my projector so that whatever I am playing gets fed through.

Composite cables are quite simple, really just a good cable with two RCA connectors. They are available everywhere in different lengths. An audio cable will generally do if of very good quality. Watch for interference.

BTW: all of this would be true regardless of what kind of projector you are using, it really is not an artifact of the X1.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rlsmith. Not what I wanted to hear.

So I understand you correctly, vcr-composite to receiver and receiver s-video to projector will not display vcr picture. Right?

thanks

patrick

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
patrick,

May I suggest that the JVC S-VHS machines (which also have S-video output) are a better bargain that the Panasonic models, if you go that route.

You can probably get an appropriate composite cable for $20-40 depending on the length that you need.

Receivers that map the composite to S-video are performing Y-C separation. This is a tricky business (actually almost impossible to do perfectly) and often the Y-C separator in your projector will do a better job. I don't know about the X1 specifically but Infocus is always pretty strong on video processing.

There are some third-party Y-C separators on the market. One that was well considered was from Faroudja, I think the model was VP-150. You used to be able to get these for about $150 from Ebay. You could use such a separator to convert composite to S-video between the VCR and your receiver. The VP-150 was quite good at doing this and even has a time base adjustment (useful to correct color that is not synced with the luminance). The better JVC S-VHS machines contain digital time base correction which does the same thing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it ok to hijack my own thread? If so, then I have another question on the X1.

Background - The X1 has 3 Aspect ratio selections 1- Native 2 - 16:9

3- 4:3.

Monsters Inc allows me to select either the Widescreen version or the Full screen version. I can only assume the Widescreen version is 16:9 or close and the fullscreen version is 4:3 or close.

So, when I select the Widescreen version on the DVD and select Native on the X1, the image size is approx. 70 x 34. When I select 4:3 the image size is 79 x 42. Selecting 16:9 badly distorts the image so no point talking about it.

When i select the fullscreen version on the DVD, select Native on the X1 the image size 69 x 50. When I select 4:3, the image size is 79 x 52. Selecting 16:9 stretched the image.

My question, what the heck is going on here?

As I was doing the image size measurements alone, they could be off by an inch or two.

thanks!

patrick

·
Registered
90 Posts
You should check your DVD players display setting. There should be a setting for picking a 4:3 or 16:9 display. I'd try setting it to 16:9 and then viewing the widescreen version of the movie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.