AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm currently leaving the X1 in standby mode where i faintly hear the fan. turning it completely off seems to be better, for one thing, no dust will constantly enter the system due to the fan running in standby mode. what are your opinion on this?

trent

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have not touched the actual projector to turn it off in over a month. I just use the remote. Could it be accumulating dust inside?

·
Registered
311 Posts
My ceiling mounted X1 is connected to a UPS. I always turn the UPS off after a minute or so after turning the X1 off with the remote :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
For safety reasons, I think it is better to be hard off, in case the power trips or gets cut off and gets restored, (happened to me) the X1 would come on by itself, and if left unattended with the lens cap on, could pose a fire hazard.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am a new X1 owner with 8 hours on the bulb after ~2 weeks. I have the unit plugged into my Panamax surge suppressor line conditioner. I let the projector/fan run for about 10 to 15 min's after shutdown and then use the hard swith to power it off when the exhaust feels almost completely cool.

Randy

·
Registered
185 Posts
I handle mine the way rfisher does his. If you don't turn it off completely, the fan will over a period of time pull enough dust and dirt into the machine to require you to clean the filter more often. I checked my filter at 250 hours and it was still completely clean.

Richard

·
Registered
101 Posts
rgs, I handle my X1 the same way as you and have about 70 hours but since your filters are clean at 250 hours, do you cover your X1?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wait a few minutes, or until the green led on the projector stops blinking and then I hard power the projector off. I used to leave it on, but after a power "blink" the projector came on and ran for about 4 hours one day.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I still don't see the logic in being afraid to shut it down without the remote. There is no warning in the manual about that, other than to not turn it back on before it has had time to cool. This subject has been brought up before (search failed me looking for it) and nobody came up with a convincing arguement that we should be turning it off with the remote. The lamp will just cool more slowly (which seems to me would mean less stress) if you don't have the fan blowing on it. I read some posts previously saying that the lamp could heat up and explode, but that's nonsense because the lamp is off.

I usually shut it off with the remote out of convenience, sometimes it gets left on overnight, sometimes I hit the switch. I'm not too worried about the power supply fan, just from my experience with computers that I leave on all the time with fans going full speed. If I forget to hit the switch and leave it running overnight, no big deal. I just make sure it's not going days and days. Usually I can hear it in the quiet of the morning, so I go hit the switch.

I think the best piece of advice in this thread is to make sure that the projector isn't going to turn on when the power comes back on after a blackout. Especially with the chance of it going on and off a couple times, that could blow your lamp. I have mine plugged into a surge protector that remains off after a power outage until you hit the reset switch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
To each his own. Infocus has said there's no problem shutting it off with the switch, but I prefer to use the remote and let it cool for 5 minutes or so before turning off the switch on the premise that if turning it on slowly helps to lengthen bulb life (the reason Infocus makes the bulb take about 30 seconds to achieve full brightness) letting it cool down slowly may also do so. Sometimes I also forget and don't turn it off with the manual switch until the next morning. But I burn wood for heat so the house is dusty anyway, and for me, the less dust I suck into the projector the better.

As far as rapid power cycling is concerned, if the X1 is turned off with the switch, it won't turn on again for about a minute, a safety precaution that Infocus has built into it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd leave the fan on for a few minutes while the projector cools just to move the air past the bulb instead of letting the hot air sit in the "projection booth" as it were. There wouldn't be a convection current to move air past the bulb and heat could build up within the projector.

Of course, I'm not a thermal dynamics scientist, so this could be a bunch of hot air.

*chuckle*

·
Registered
454 Posts
I turn it off with the remote then hit the switch an hour later or the next day or when I notice it is still on.

When I turn it off with the remote the fan runs full speed to cool down the machine, but only for a minute or so?. Is this normal? I thought it would run longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.