AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it advisable to put a UV filter to protect the lens of the X1?

If yes, what would this size and brand be?

- Ed

·
Registered
238 Posts
Actually, lenses minutely 'scratch' every time one physically cleans them, no matter how it's done. Photographers use UV filters to keep the lens surface covered so the replaceable filter gets damaged and not the valuable lens surface.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Well I only use a lens brush. Small scratches are not going to show up on the screen anyways, in any case I am sure it would be a nice preventative measure though.

I dont know the exact size but all you have to do is take the lens cap with you to a photographer suppy store and you could match it up to something.

I may look into a lens as well...actually I would like to experiment with a few effects lenses to see if I can improve the blacks/greys.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The X1 has a plastic housing around the lens that isn't threaded. However, you can screw a threaded filter into the plastic and it will stay on after about 1/4 turn. I believe a 67mm works, but do a search to be sure.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I use 67mm filters for the x1. It will not hold up though without a rubber band. I have mentioned this in my thread x1 crazy mod thread.

James

·
Registered
105 Posts
i'm confused. one person here says 67 mm. another says 62 mm. faq says 62 mm also. which is it? big difference between 67 and 62.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

The 62mm filter fits inside the lens opening

The 67mm filter fits on the outside of the lens

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all who contributed to my question...I think I might stick to 62mm so that I can still put the plastic cap back onto the projector.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
While im very impressed with my X1 in both colour, shadow detail and sharpness (esp taking the res into consideration) i find it sometimes a bit bright for my liking. While one can pull back the brightness this is at the expense of shadow detail, and full "off" or full "black" is still the same.

I have read here about Neutral Density filters which can cut back the light and hence make the "full black" darker.

Doing a quick search they don't seem to expensive, they seem to be rated at 2x, 4x, 8x etc.

What is best suited for the X1, does anyone have experience in using one?

Would a 2x be enough or should i go a 4x ND?

Which of the below is more suitable

1. Neutral Density Filters

These filters should suit your normal picture taking requirements and offer lens protection.

2. HMC Neutral Density Filters

HMC Filters are made with 3-coatings on each side for reduced flare and are much better than the standard monocoated filters. Flare is less prevalent and pictures taken against the light are better. HMC Filters allow for 97% Light Transmission.

Thanks

Danny

·
Registered
226 Posts
I tried the HMC 2x neutral density filter over the weekend. Reading some posts here I thought it would help. But I removed it yesterday during the Giants game because it just dimmed the image that I could just not seem to compensate with a recalibration. It wasn't so bad with DVD but SDTV was too dark and lost the brilliant colors

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jake14mw
Is there such a thing as a "clear" filter, to use just for protecting the lens?
I haven't seen a filter that is literally clear, but a UV filter is usually used for what you are talking about. They are commonly used to protect your lens, and really only cut down on haze a bit.. it shouldn't lower your lumens at all (or negligibly, like any piece of clear material would). I always buy these for lens optics..

One thing I wonder though is if this would trap any excess of heat in? I guess it must not be a big problem since so many folks run filters on their projectors.

-Adrian

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
fsihhead, now much did it cut down the "not light" or "full off" amount of light?

puddytay,

Thanks for the offer, im in Australia so its a bit hard :) I'll get one today from local shop 2x

Any other filters that are good to add?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I purchased an ND2 filter last night and am impressed with the outcome.

full "black" is now better and blacks in picture are better plus glare has been reduced substantially for brighter scenes.

I wonder though if a ND4 may be better as i still found after a nites viewing it to be a little bright soon (especially when tired)

Will and ND4 have the same effect on top of the ND2 as the ND2 did on the standard ouput?

I sort of want to got 50% of an ND2 again, is there anything to acheive that?

Thanks

Danny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.