AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that presentation mode has a brighter image than film, but I can't find anything in the manual to distinguish between video and film. Of course my own eyes will be the final judge but I am curious as to what any technical difference might be.

Greg Matty

·
Registered
754 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, film mode eliminates the white segment on the color wheel. It's supposed to reduce total light output significantly, but improve contrast ratio quite a bit.

When you go to presentation mode, the white segment is reactivated, and you get 1000 lumens.

I'm sort of wondering if the presentation mode might not be better for viewing football with the guys, with some lights on.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kidd Digital
I'm sort of wondering if the presentation mode might not be better for viewing football with the guys, with some lights on.
No doubt presentation mode is better for sports when you have lots of ambient light. But you will lose a lot of the subtle shades of gray. It is certainly easy to toggle between these options with your presets.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Video mode Vs film mode is supposed to have different gamma setting accoring to Bob at Infocus. Not that I can see any difference.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here is my preferrence:

Prsentation mode- Sport event with 50-75% ambient light.

Video mode- HD/SD TV viewing at 30% ambient ligth.

Movie mode- DVD viewing at zero ambient light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.