AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just about made up my mind to buy the X1, than I went to Pro... Cent... and noticed Dell introduced the 3200MP. An DLP projector with XGA resolution for around $2200. What are peoples opinions of Dell projectors (build quality, internal scalers, etc.) Just curious what other people thought.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting you should mention that. I am in the same quandry. I was all set to purchase the X1 when I heard about the Dell 3200MP.

Seems like the choice comes down to SVGA with Faroudja for $1599 vs. XGA with (Pixelworks?) for $2100.

Anyone know if there is a visible difference between SVGA and XGA on a DLP projector?

Does a Pixelworks chip work as well as Faroudja? I will be watching a fair amount of cable and need to know which projector will work best.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hmm,

That 3200 looks a lot like the Hewlett-Packard xb31 spec-wise. And the case design looks real similar too. Anyone know if that 3200 is a rebranded xb31? If so, it sells for a lot cheaper. Anyhow, if the performance is similar as the specs indicate you can look up other forum members' reviews of the xb31. It looks like the xb31 lost out to the Sharp m20x in the

·
Registered
379 Posts
I can pretty much guarantee that the Dell is not a rebranded HP... Right now there is not a lot of love between the two companies. Enough so that Dell won't partner with them unless they absolutely had to.

Now it might be something similar to the person who makes HP's projector for them, but I don't know that. More than likely the same company that made the 3100 is making the 3200. Don't let chassis appearances fool you...

·
Registered
59 Posts
For Dell, use ebates.com when ordering and get an additional $40 rebate check by mail. Finally cost is approx $2050 with free shipping.

·
Registered
778 Posts
No mention whether the colorwheel is RGBW or RGBRGB, but at the price it could be a very nice projector. Somebody buy one and let us know!:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dell 3200 Issues:

Expected ship date is 12/27.

Don't know the throw.

Don't know wheel speed.

No coupons appear to apply to this unit, yet.

Too little info and too long a wait to jump yet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check this out!!!!

It uses the same DLP DDR chip that NEC uses in the HT1000.

This is going to be very interesting. Wait for a $300 coupon off $2000 from DELL and this might be the deal of the year 2003 at around $1700

·
Registered
463 Posts
The specs are similar to the HP xb31. Contrast is listed by Dell as 1800:1, but does not specify ANSI. The xb31 is listed as contrast 1800:1 and ANSI 450:1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know if the Dell 3200MP fixes the following problems with the Dell 3100MP?

1) Keystone does not work correctly with progressive YPbPr inputs. You'll get a green border surrounding the image.

2) Contrast and brightness do not work correctly with all interlaced inputs. When the contrast is decreased, whites correctly become darker, but blacks become brighter! When the contrast is increased, whites correctly become brighter, but blacks become darker!

I also wonder if Dell will actually support the Dell 3200MP with video (composite, S-video, component) inputs. When the above problems, with the 3100MP, were reported to Dell, this was technical support's answer:

"We can't work with all DVD players. There's a problem with your DVD player. We only guarantee the projector to work with a Dell product. What you're doing is like putting a GM motor into a Ford car."

Remember, there are no Dell products which output composite, S-Video, or component video.

...vch

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vch

Remember, there are no Dell products which output composite, S-Video, or component video.

...vch
My Inspiron notebook has S-Video out.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by austin1
Interesting you should mention that. I am in the same quandry. I was all set to purchase the X1 when I heard about the Dell 3200MP.

Seems like the choice comes down to SVGA with Faroudja for $1599 vs. XGA with (Pixelworks?) for $2100.

Anyone know if there is a visible difference between SVGA and XGA on a DLP projector?

Does a Pixelworks chip work as well as Faroudja? I will be watching a fair amount of cable and need to know which projector will work best.
The X1 has a PixelWorks chip and the Faroudja chip. We chose to use the Faroudja chip for deinterlacing because it does a much better job than PixelWorks does. We still use the PixelWorks chip for its other functions such as GUI, scaling, keystone correction, and color space conversion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tintinet
My Inspiron notebook has S-Video out.
I stand corrected. What I should have written is:

There are no Dell products which output ONLY composite, S-Video, or component video.

The issue that I'm trying to raise is that Dell will refuse to acknowledge any problems when the 3100MP is connected to any standard video device, such as a VCR, DVD player, or camcorder. Dell will INSIST that the problem is with the VCR, DVD player, or camcorder. Dell advertises that the 3100MP:

"Supports full range of television and video standards including NTSC, PAL, SECAM and HDTV (480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i)."

However, there are obvious problems with the interlaced brightness and contrast controls and with the 480p and 720p keystone feature. What I'd like to know is if Dell has actually fixed the problems with the 3200MP, or if Dell continues to insist that the customer's video equipment, which works fine with everything else, is defective.

...vch

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.