AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
From gotapex.com:

Dell 3200MP DLP multimedia projector. It`s tiny at just 3.5lbs, has an incredible 1800:1 contrast ratio, 1300 ANSI lumens, XGA native resolution, and even includes DVI input. It`s compatible with both PAL and NTSC, and can take HDTV inputs (1080i, 720P, 480i/P). It`s normally not eligible for any sort of discount code, but this time it is! It`s $2199 - 10% = $1979.10! This is a very hot deal. Replace that old tired TV, and get an image up to 292.8" diagonal (yes, that`s about 24 and a half FEET). To find it, search for: 3200MP2

Get coupon from any deal site.

Use ebates to get another 3% or so off.

In response to vch's post:

The green bar problems in 480p and 720p that the Dell 3100MP had appear to be fixed in the 3200MP.

Dell tech support definitely needs to have their clue-bag refilled. In past dealings with them, though, I've found that it's highly dependent on who you get on the phone. Calling them in the morning (US time) increases the chance of tallking to someone who has a clue and in general, calling back (even right away) will net you a different tech who may be better (or......)

In response to Bob William's post re: pixelworks and faroudja chips:

I'm assuming the X1 uses a PW-1xx (166 maybe?) for the graphics engine/scaler and the faroudja for the hardware de-interlacing. Can you share what video decoder it uses?

A 3200MP teardown revealed the PW-166-20TK graphics engine AND a pixelworks PW-1230 hardware de-interlacer. The PW web site has the datasheet, features, etc for the 1230, but the feature list is similar to the faroudja chip. It definitely has motion adaptivity and 3:2 pulldown.

I just wanted to make this clarification because it's common to say "pixelworks de-interlacing" and what that really means is that the system is using the SOFTWARE de-interlacing capabilities of the PW graphics engine (in this case the PW-166), which is really just another scalar function. Frankly, this is a stretch of the term "de-interlacer".

In the case of the 3200MP, "pixelworks de-interlacing" means an actual hardware de-interlacing processor, separate from the graphics engine.

Thanks for the update DBono.

Now, I wonder if Dell will actually acknowledge that there's a problem with the Dell 3100MP and offer a 3200MP as a replacement to any disgruntled 3100MP owner!

...vch

Quote:
Originally posted by DBono
In response to vch's post:

The green bar problems in 480p and 720p that the Dell 3100MP had appear to be fixed in the 3200MP.

Dell tech support definitely needs to have their clue-bag refilled. In past dealings with them, though, I've found that it's highly dependent on who you get on the phone. Calling them in the morning (US time) increases the chance of tallking to someone who has a clue and in general, calling back (even right away) will net you a different tech who may be better (or......)

Quote:
Originally posted by DBono
In response to Bob William's post re: pixelworks and faroudja chips:

I'm assuming the X1 uses a PW-1xx (166 maybe?) for the graphics engine/scaler and the faroudja for the hardware de-interlacing. Can you share what video decoder it uses?

A 3200MP teardown revealed the PW-166-20TK graphics engine AND a pixelworks PW-1230 hardware de-interlacer. The PW web site has the datasheet, features, etc for the 1230, but the feature list is similar to the faroudja chip. It definitely has motion adaptivity and 3:2 pulldown.

I just wanted to make this clarification because it's common to say "pixelworks de-interlacing" and what that really means is that the system is using the SOFTWARE de-interlacing capabilities of the PW graphics engine (in this case the PW-166), which is really just another scalar function. Frankly, this is a stretch of the term "de-interlacer".

In the case of the 3200MP, "pixelworks de-interlacing" means an actual hardware de-interlacing processor, separate from the graphics engine.

Dbono--

This chip stuff gets a little confusing. I need some help filling in the blanks:

1) The X1 and the 3200MP use a similar (perhaps the same) pixelworks graphics engine/scaler. So the performance in the ________? area will be the same for both machines.

2) The X1 and the 3200MP both use a hardware de-interlacing chip. The capabilities of both chips seem similar. So can we say that their de-interlacing performance will be about the same?

3) The video decoder (is this hardware or software or ?) for both machines is unknown. The video performance of the X1 is stated by most to be very good. Anything you can tell us about the video performance/processing of the 3200MP?

Any conclusions (or strong hunches) that you could help us draw, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by HerbH
Dbono--

This chip stuff gets a little confusing. I need some help filling in the blanks:

1) The X1 and the 3200MP use a similar (perhaps the same) pixelworks graphics engine/scaler. So the performance in the ________? area will be the same for both machines.

2) The X1 and the 3200MP both use a hardware de-interlacing chip. The capabilities of both chips seem similar. So can we say that their de-interlacing performance will be about the same?

3) The video decoder (is this hardware or software or ?) for both machines is unknown. The video performance of the X1 is stated by most to be very good. Anything you can tell us about the video performance/processing of the 3200MP?

Any conclusions (or strong hunches) that you could help us draw, would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm not really qualified to talk about video performance. My interest in home theater has been pretty short-lived and I have not been exposed to that many projectors and the ones I have seen have been primarily business oriented. My standards have not evolved to the level of many people in this forum and I have only seen one rainbow in my life (and I'll be pleased if I never see another!). I'm still basically blown away by any 100" plus image, even when others would pick it apart.

What really surprised me the 1st time I saw it was the SVGA HP sb21 with a 1080i source. I would not have expected that an SVGA projector could look so good! The source does help. It seems to me this is pretty subjective anyway, so I really would recommend a side-by-side. I have dealt with Dell equipment a fair amount and they will honor their 30 day return policy. I've never talked them into paying the shipping to return it, but that's a pretty cheap ~20 day evaluation.

I think Genesis (who bought the company that bought Faroudja a while back) would claim that the Faroudja chip out performs other silicon. I have not personally seen a good side-by-side demo of the Faroudja DCDi vs the PW 1230, but the 3rd hand info I've heard makes it sound like it's a wash. Regardless, it's clear that Faroudja has the brand recognition advantage!

anyone who has taken the plunge w/ the Dell 3200MP, please feel free to pipe up, i am *this* close to ordering one of these, but would really like to hear what some others think of it so far... note: i will be using it w/ an HTpc (Radeon-based) so am not too concerned about the projectors internal scaler, i will be feeding it in its native resolution... thx all, hope to hear from someone..!

..bump? really interested in this unit, but can find little to no information about it on the web. anyone know if this is a short or long throw system? i have only 14' to play w/ in my room, and really want a 100"-120" diagonal screen, which i think rules out the X1 for my application... having no experience w/ FP's before but really impatient to get one, this looks like the best deal on an XGA DLP unit i see anywhere w/ good looking numbers; i am just concerned about maximum screensize, realworld contrast and image clarity. if anyone who had played w/ a 3200mp could chime in and give some impressions, i would be greatly appreciative..!

I received my Dell 3200MP today, purchased for $1979.10 delivered from Dell Home using a 10% off coupon. Initial impression was WOW! Awesome resolution, I had to strain with my face literally next to an 8’ wide screen to even see ANY screen door effect, or pick out any individual pixels. It was literally like sitting in the front row at a movie theater. Connected to my laptop the picture seemed perfectly smooth.

So I gave it a stress test hooking it up to my Replay TV using the S-Video connection. I could definitely see the loss of resolution, but also noticed the ‘rainbow effect’ for the first time. I really thought this was effect was overblown and wouldn’t affect me, but I have to tell you it was very noticeable, and frankly quite disturbing.

Next, I connected it directly to my digital cable using S-video, strangely the rainbow affect seemed lessened. So, then I connected it to my Sony progressive scan DVD using the composite input, and the picture was much improved, I strained but couldn’t find any rainbow affect at all. The picture was absolutely awesome. Go figure?

There is a white level adjustment on this projector, it comes factory set at 2 (range 0-10), I found 0 the best setting for movies. How this changes the white range of the color wheel, I have no idea, but it doesn’t seem to change the overall brightness very much. This is a very bright projector and I had no problem seeing the output with four 60 watt light bulbs on in the same room.

The zoom however is pretty limited. You’d be better off checking the spec’s on their website, but I thought the range was very small. My room is about 20’ long, at which I could project on my 8’ screen no problem, but I couldn’t at about 12’. This is not a short throw lens.

Bottom line, for broadcast 4:3 picture, it’s probably not the best solution. For high quality movies, DVD, HDTV, computer output, I’m sure you’ll be impressed.

I’m still undecided if I plan to keep this projector. I’m going to do some more testing tomorrow using my HTPC with a Radeon 9700 PRO to test more computer output, gaming, etc. I also have an X1 on the way and will test them side by side.

Anything specific you’d like to know about this unit? I’m by no means an A/V expert, but with your guidance I should be able to give you any feedback your interested in. I also have a Canon A40 digital camera if you want me to post any screen shots.

briggsbw, thx to you so much for your reply, everything that you posted really excited me about this unit, but the throw distance really has me worried... i only have 14' to play w/, so i might be out of the running already on this point. but yes, any screenshots you could provide would be greatly appreciated, many others will be very curious to hear about your impression between this unit and the X1, thx again to you friend..!

briggsbw,

Thanks for your review.

What kind of screen are you using...size, aspect ratio, material, grey or white? Does the 3200 support HDCP? Also, what is the native aspect ratio of the 3200? I'm hoping it's 16:9 so there isn't light spill and a loss of resolution when watching 16:9 sources.

Thanks,

Andrew

Quote:
Originally posted by shinoSetsuna
briggsbw, thx to you so much for your reply, everything that you posted really excited me about this unit, but the throw distance really has me worried... i only have 14' to play w/, so i might be out of the running already on this point. but yes, any screenshots you could provide would be greatly appreciated, many others will be very curious to hear about your impression between this unit and the X1, thx again to you friend..!
The user guide for the Dell is at

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/acc/s52941/english/

They have a geometry table somewhere in there - under installation I think.

Briggsbw,

Thanks for the review. Many people are very interested in this machine.

How loud is it? This was big concern from the specs.

Is there a big difference between the S-video and progressive component inputs (ie how good is the on board de-interlacer/scaler)?

Is Dell allowing a easy return on these projectors if you don't like them?

Thanks for taking the time to post

I have had a 3200 for a little over a month. Right now I am feeding my seven month old and typing with one finger so I'll try to take the time to write a full review tomorrow.

For DVD performance, I really like it alot.

Rainbows are more of a problem than my last DLP which is the only drawback.

Very bright.

If 37db is loud then my last Projector (PLUS 1100) must have been 150 db.

Great Contrast.

I'll try to give more details tomorrow.

Jeff

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.