AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Now that the Austin shoot-out is over, does anyone have anything to add to this thread as far as just the X1 vs the Dell? After viewing both is the Dell worth the extra $500?

The screen shots that Jeff lemke posted look really amazing:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=227446

Does the X1 throw a similar image to these?

I was all set to order an X1 but after seeing these screen shots..........

Quite a few people have comented on the Dell unit in the After Action Report thread from the Austin shootout.

My thoughts on it are detailed over there, but the summary is:

Oh my god this thing is small. It's hardly larger than a Windoze PDA. About the size of an old Apple Newton. Pretty much pocket sized. Really, you could easily drop it into virtually any laptop carrying bag.

Picture looks quite good for such a tiny device. I personally wasn't as thrilled with the colors compared to the other units. However, the jury is split on this one. Quite a few other folks thought he colors were best on this unit. Personal taste I guess.

However I think almost everyone, took serious issue with the rainbows on the unit. Now this may have been because, that unit was playing more of the 5th element, and Starwars (actual movies) vs the others that were playing Monsters Inc. most of the time. For some reason, Monsters created virtually no rainbows on the X1. But when Starwars, or Lord of the Rings were playing I saw quite a few. So the content may have been a factor in the difference between the perception of the X1 and the 3200. But regardless, unless you're watching only animation, the comments still apply. The bottom line is: Rainbows were a SERIOUS problem on this unit. It's just the test was unfair to see if they were equally as bad with the X1. (same wheel speed from what I understand)

hope that helps.

-Jason W

Thanks Jason, that does help.

I understand the rainbow phenomenon and realize that I will just have to see it myself to decide if it affects me. That is why I was going to order the X1 or the Dell and I guess I was just trying to figure out which one of these projectors to order and test.

Size is not an issue for me as I will mount the pj on a rear shelf and leave it there. So aside from the rainbow issue and the size of the unit, was there a major difference in the image from one pj to the other? The screen shots that were posted with the Dell just looked so good, I did not know if the X1's would be comparable or if the extra resolution of the Dell make it superior.

Craig

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator123

Does the X1 throw a similar image to these?

Yes, the X1 will throw an equally bright and stunning screenshot of Shrek. Unfortunately, you can't really tell anything from a screenshot that will help much in evaluating a pj. Almost all screenshots look pretty good.

I'm guessing the 3200 will have the advantage over the X1 in resolution and pixel structure. It's an XGA pj, so should should see (in theory) more detail and less pixel structure. One of the (minor) complaints about the X1 is that it does have a viewable pixel structure to many people if you sit closer than 1.5X.

I personally love my X1. The one to one pixel mapping it does with dvds delivers a highly detailed, sharp picture with no scaling errors.

I'd lean more heavily toward people's opinions who have seen both pjs in terms of which one puts out a better picture than I would screenshots. They look great, but they just aren't very accurate.

mike

I've seen both and they each have advantages.

The Dell 3200 displays a very bright image and is very strong in shadow detail. Like any bright/high contrast DLP projector, rainbows will probably be more pronounced. I understand the Dell was projecting on a high gain screen so I bet that emphasized any apparent rainbows. A better test would be to project the image on a grayhawk. My hunch is that the image would look incredible and that rainbows would probably not be any more of an issue than they are on the X1. Just a hunch!

Flooper, thanks for the comments. I know there are alot of factors affecting screen shots, so if you say your X1 produces images similar to those, that is good enough for me.

However, based on my setup with a 52"x92" screen and my seating being only 11' away, that calculates to only 1.43X screen width, so I guess I am concerned about the pixel structure from that distance. I find my 400Q acceptable at this distance, but in your review, the screen door or pixel structure was the one area that you did rate the 400Q ahead of the X1. Also, I have read a bunch of posts saying you need to be AT LEAST 1.5X on the X1. That is why I am kind of curious about the Dell. If it does everything the X1 does and has less pixel structure due to the XGA, then it might be the one for me, given my viewing distance of 1.4X.

Gator,

Good reasoning. And I think you're probably right. I sit about 1.5X back from my X1 on a 92" wide screen, and I do see pixel structure from time to time, expecially in really bright scenes. It's not bad, but it is there...and it is definitely more pronounced than what I used to see with my 400q. The Dell sounds like it might be the better choice for you. From what I've read on the Texas shootout thread, it's one heck of nice pj.

Another thing in the Dell's favor is the 30-day return policy Dell has (I think!) You could try it out for a while, and determine if you see rainbows. If you do, you could always return it and get an lcd model, like the Z1 or AE300. When I got my X1, it only had a 7 day return policy.

mike

Gator,

I was at the shootout and saw both. The X1 was excellent as was the Dell. The Dell had more detail and better colors. The rainbows didn't bother me at all on either projector. If you can't see them somewhere, order the Dell and try it for 30 days. If the rainbows become an issue, send it back and get the X1 with the 5 year warranty. Either way, I don't think that you will be disappointed. Remember though, you could take the money you save by buying the X1 and get a really nice screen. The screen will be kept a lot longer than the projector. You can then upgrade in a few years when rainbows are no longer an issue. Just something to think about.

-Bruce

I have seen both and I own the 3200MP. I was planning on buying the X1 as a second projector and was leaning toward it this time around to save some cash but I have decided to purchase a second Dell instead. The two have very comparable PQ when seated the proper distance but that's the problem. I don't sit 1.8x to 2x the width; I sit closer which makes a big difference when comparing these two projectors. I currently sit 5.5ft from an 80-inch screen which is just a shade over 1x the width and for the second projector I plan on sitting 8 to 9ft from a 120-inch screen which again is about 1x the width. I can't sit that close with the X1 unless I'm watching a movie about a voyeur or stalker who watches people through a screen door or window which really limits my movie selections.:D The rainbow issue regarding the Dell being worse than the X1 is bull. I have seen the X1 three times now and my wife and I see rainbows more easily on the X1 than the 3200MP but in both cases they don't bother us to any great extent. The other big advantage I see is being able to connect a HTPC to the Dell with a DVI to M1-DA cable to get a digital signal instead of analog. I still think the X1 is a great projector especially for the money and I have convinced a friend to purchase the X1. I just feel the 3200MP is better if you want a bigger screen but are limited to how far you can sit from it.

CO1 - That is great info. Thanks. I guess we can all agree that 1.0X is definitely too close and 1.8X to 2.0X is probably ideal for the X1, but 1.4X-1.5X is questionable. Mike "Flooper" said he sits 1.5X back from his, and only sees the pixel structure occasionally on bright scenes, so it can not be too bad. I am curious what the typical or average viewing ratio is for X1 owners.

With Infocus giving a $100 rebate the difference between these two projectors is now around $600 to $700, which is substantial to me. At the current price and with the 5-year warranty, I think I will have to at least give the X1 a try. As Bruce mentioned, I am sure I will be wanting to upgrade again in a couple of years, so I would rather save the cash now and put it toward a better projector in the future. This is assuming I can live with the pixel structure and "potential" rainbows on the X1. If not I guess I will just keep my 400Q for another year or so and see what is available then.

Finally, I want to know why somebody didn't warn me that I was going to have this constant desire to upgrade perfectly good equipment when I first posted on this forum and decided to get into this "hobby"!!!!! :)

I sit about 12 feet back from my X1's 8 foot wide image and agree with Flooper. I only see pixels in bright scenes. More specifically I see pixels on text or any large area of solid white or light color. In most cases it's just text.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.