AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

X1 vs Dell 3200MP

7K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  Tyro 
#1 ·
I had just about made up my mind to buy the X1, than I went to Pro... Cent... and noticed Dell introduced the 3200MP. An DLP projector with XGA resolution for around $2200. What are peoples opinions of Dell projectors (build quality, internal scalers, etc.) Just curious what other people thought.

#2 ·
Interesting you should mention that. I am in the same quandry. I was all set to purchase the X1 when I heard about the Dell 3200MP.

Seems like the choice comes down to SVGA with Faroudja for $1599 vs. XGA with (Pixelworks?) for $2100.

Anyone know if there is a visible difference between SVGA and XGA on a DLP projector?

Does a Pixelworks chip work as well as Faroudja? I will be watching a fair amount of cable and need to know which projector will work best.

#3 ·
Hmm,

That 3200 looks a lot like the Hewlett-Packard xb31 spec-wise. And the case design looks real similar too. Anyone know if that 3200 is a rebranded xb31? If so, it sells for a lot cheaper. Anyhow, if the performance is similar as the specs indicate you can look up other forum members' reviews of the xb31. It looks like the xb31 lost out to the Sharp m20x in the

#4 ·
I can pretty much guarantee that the Dell is not a rebranded HP... Right now there is not a lot of love between the two companies. Enough so that Dell won't partner with them unless they absolutely had to.

Now it might be something similar to the person who makes HP's projector for them, but I don't know that. More than likely the same company that made the 3100 is making the 3200. Don't let chassis appearances fool you...

#15 ·
Does anyone know if the Dell 3200MP fixes the following problems with the Dell 3100MP?

1) Keystone does not work correctly with progressive YPbPr inputs. You'll get a green border surrounding the image.

2) Contrast and brightness do not work correctly with all interlaced inputs. When the contrast is decreased, whites correctly become darker, but blacks become brighter! When the contrast is increased, whites correctly become brighter, but blacks become darker!

I also wonder if Dell will actually support the Dell 3200MP with video (composite, S-video, component) inputs. When the above problems, with the 3100MP, were reported to Dell, this was technical support's answer:

"We can't work with all DVD players. There's a problem with your DVD player. We only guarantee the projector to work with a Dell product. What you're doing is like putting a GM motor into a Ford car."

Remember, there are no Dell products which output composite, S-Video, or component video.

...vch

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by austin1
Interesting you should mention that. I am in the same quandry. I was all set to purchase the X1 when I heard about the Dell 3200MP.

Seems like the choice comes down to SVGA with Faroudja for $1599 vs. XGA with (Pixelworks?) for $2100.

Anyone know if there is a visible difference between SVGA and XGA on a DLP projector?

Does a Pixelworks chip work as well as Faroudja? I will be watching a fair amount of cable and need to know which projector will work best.
The X1 has a PixelWorks chip and the Faroudja chip. We chose to use the Faroudja chip for deinterlacing because it does a much better job than PixelWorks does. We still use the PixelWorks chip for its other functions such as GUI, scaling, keystone correction, and color space conversion.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tintinet
My Inspiron notebook has S-Video out.
I stand corrected. What I should have written is:

There are no Dell products which output ONLY composite, S-Video, or component video.

The issue that I'm trying to raise is that Dell will refuse to acknowledge any problems when the 3100MP is connected to any standard video device, such as a VCR, DVD player, or camcorder. Dell will INSIST that the problem is with the VCR, DVD player, or camcorder. Dell advertises that the 3100MP:

"Supports full range of television and video standards including NTSC, PAL, SECAM and HDTV (480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i)."

However, there are obvious problems with the interlaced brightness and contrast controls and with the 480p and 720p keystone feature. What I'd like to know is if Dell has actually fixed the problems with the 3200MP, or if Dell continues to insist that the customer's video equipment, which works fine with everything else, is defective.

...vch

#22 ·
From gotapex.com:

Dell 3200MP DLP multimedia projector. It`s tiny at just 3.5lbs, has an incredible 1800:1 contrast ratio, 1300 ANSI lumens, XGA native resolution, and even includes DVI input. It`s compatible with both PAL and NTSC, and can take HDTV inputs (1080i, 720P, 480i/P). It`s normally not eligible for any sort of discount code, but this time it is! It`s $2199 - 10% = $1979.10! This is a very hot deal. Replace that old tired TV, and get an image up to 292.8" diagonal (yes, that`s about 24 and a half FEET). To find it, search for: 3200MP2

Get coupon from any deal site.

Use ebates to get another 3% or so off.

#23 ·
In response to vch's post:

The green bar problems in 480p and 720p that the Dell 3100MP had appear to be fixed in the 3200MP.

Dell tech support definitely needs to have their clue-bag refilled. In past dealings with them, though, I've found that it's highly dependent on who you get on the phone. Calling them in the morning (US time) increases the chance of tallking to someone who has a clue and in general, calling back (even right away) will net you a different tech who may be better (or......)

#24 ·
In response to Bob William's post re: pixelworks and faroudja chips:

I'm assuming the X1 uses a PW-1xx (166 maybe?) for the graphics engine/scaler and the faroudja for the hardware de-interlacing. Can you share what video decoder it uses?

A 3200MP teardown revealed the PW-166-20TK graphics engine AND a pixelworks PW-1230 hardware de-interlacer. The PW web site has the datasheet, features, etc for the 1230, but the feature list is similar to the faroudja chip. It definitely has motion adaptivity and 3:2 pulldown.

I just wanted to make this clarification because it's common to say "pixelworks de-interlacing" and what that really means is that the system is using the SOFTWARE de-interlacing capabilities of the PW graphics engine (in this case the PW-166), which is really just another scalar function. Frankly, this is a stretch of the term "de-interlacer".

In the case of the 3200MP, "pixelworks de-interlacing" means an actual hardware de-interlacing processor, separate from the graphics engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.