Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little one on one picture comparison between my

X1 and HT1000.

The HT1000 excels in three primary ways.

1. more pixels = larger image size without screendoor (but you already knew that)

2. less rainbow. For me it's a lot less rainbow. In fact, the rainbow

is so much less frequent it's not really an issue for me any more

and 3. It's better on the low end (black level and shadow detail)

BUT, and I'm not just blowing smoke up the X1's butt when I say this,

the X1 picture to my eyes is about as pleasing when it comes to every other aspect

of picture quality including color. And "3-dimensionality". And contrast in general (again except for the low end).

Even compared to a DLP that costs almost 4 times as much, it's definitely

no slouch. And, dollar for dollar, it still delivers by far and away the best home theater picture I've ever seen.

Bob

· Registered
1,103 Posts
How can the "Sultan of Cheap" possibly have an HT1000 - AND - an X1! It flys in the face of everything that's cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!

You, Sultan, are a disgrace to your cheapness!!!!

The only exception to this would be if you found the HT1000 for a great price AND with a risk free demo (i.e., no penalty for return).

gp

(P.S. I had the X1 for awhile but didn't want to put up with the rainbows. Their significantly reduced nature on the HT1000 provides great pause.... Tell me more O great swammy!)

· Registered
5,574 Posts
That confirms my general impression as well.

I have an X1 and after several weeks of tuning and configuring, I am really impressed.

I have not had the HT1000 in my HT to compare as you have, but I think the X1 compares quite favorably.

As always, cost must be taken into account.

Bob Smith

The Peasant of Cheap [I cannot afford the "Sultan" title. :)]

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Bob

We are waiting for the HT1000 VS Betsy thread.

BTW

Since I'm an XG1352 guy I'd be interested to hear how you feel the HT compares to Kenny G's old setup. I know its by memory but I won't hold you to it.

Can you tell my anti D***** crusade may be wavering?

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The movie picture made with KennyG's XG110LC (the one with young perfect tubes and after he spent an ungodly number of hours adjusting it to sheer perfection and beyond), was the best I have ever seen in any theater (home or commercial). Nothing else I have seen comes close.

· Registered
813 Posts
The truth is that the "snobs" at the >5K forum are tired of our continuous praise of the unit, and want us out given the unit's recent MSRP reduction. ;)

Kidding aside, the HT1000 can now be had for around $3500 if you shop around (including $500 NEC rebate). That is quite a good prize for this picture quality. BTW, I also own an X1.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
When you say the HT1000 has far less rainbow artifacts than the X1, are you saying you see them less often or that they are still present but don't stand out as much? (I was also wondering on faster single chip DLPs if rainbows would still be present but appear closer to the object causing the rainbow).

Have you compared scenes where rainbows are clearly present from one PJ to the other? If so, what are your observations (specifically)?

Sultan, I see you are the Sultan of BS now vs. the Sultan of Cheap. Does this have anything to do with the HT1000 purchase or have you gone to the dark side?

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gregg,

I'm seeing the flashes much less often and when I do see them they

they are shorter duration. Yes, where I saw them in scenes before I'm not

always seeing them now.

I'm going to have to take back what I said in the first post. This HT1000

was not adjusted properly by the CRT guy I got it from. I just got around

to the first attempts to get it straightened out. It's becoming a whole nother animal. I'm afraid the X1 is not going to measure up to it as well as I thought. And I'm not through with it yet.

· Registered
1,639 Posts
-does the X1 have sealed optics?

-is there a difference in light spill between the two?

-what about inputs (i don't remember seeing a dvi input on the X1 at BB :confused:, i thought it had one )

-what about the noise level of both units (i assume you already have it put in eco mode)?

how about control over the image?

-does the X1 have extensive 3d reform/keystoning options? (this may end up being a much more useful feature for me than i would have guessed)

as for rainbows-

the difference between the HT1000 (4x) and the LT150(2x +white segment) seemed to be tighter and less frequent (the HT) and 'looser' and more freqent (LT).

i've become acclimatized to the effect, so i could live with it on the LT (an FL day fitler and aging bulb helped as well), but i was very pleasantly surprised w/ the HT in this area.

its much more enjoyable not to see them at all rather than to just not let them bother you.

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does the X1 have sealed optics?

HT1000, yes. X1, don't know.

is there a difference in light spill between the two?

if you mean the spill above and below a letterboxed image (gray bars), yes there is considerable difference

if you mean spurious light, i haven't been bothered by that with either one.

-what about inputs (i don't remember seeing a dvi input on the X1 at BB :confused:, i thought it had one )

no DVI input on the X1

-what about the noise level of both units (i assume you already have it put in eco mode)?

I was never bothered with the X1's noise level. But in econ mode, the HT1000 is damn near silent. And even in econ mode and with the iris stopped down, there is IMO still plenty of output. Enough that I won't be reluctant to try the FLD filter.

how about control over the image?

-does the X1 have extensive 3d reform/keystoning options? (this may end up being a much more useful feature for me than i would have guessed)

yes, both horizontal and vertical keystone and cornerstone

and like the X1's keystone, it doesn't appear to me to introduce any significant artifacting.

as for rainbows-

the difference between the HT1000 (4x) and the LT150(2x +white segment) seemed to be tighter and less frequent (the HT) and 'looser' and more freqent (LT).

i've become acclimatized to the effect, so i could live with it on the LT (an FL day fitler and aging bulb helped as well), but i was very pleasantly surprised w/ the HT in this area.

its much more enjoyable not to see them at all rather than to just not let them bother you.

I agree

· Registered
1,280 Posts
WIth the light spill top and bottom on the X1 (i only want to run a 16:9 screen) would having black felt top and bottom absorb almost all this light making it un noticable?

I can get a larger than I need screen cheap, and was going to attach felt masking to it.

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a variable aspect ratio screen, spoonfed, so will have to defer to others as to how effective the felt masking might be. But I'm guessing it would do the job fine.

btw, ckolchak, you left out one important comparison question...

How much do they each cost?

answer: one is 3.5 times more expensive. Does the HT1000 deliver 3.5 times the oerformance? No. No more than a Ferrari delivers 10-20 times more performance than a Camry.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
I saw the X1 (well a 4800) in store with only thin black felt mask on screen (rest of 4:3 "fell off" screen into background - black). I didn't not notice any spill in shop, so im hoping heaps with black felt i can acheive the same at home, and would like ppls experiences.

D

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Robert, did you demo the Epson TW100 or the Sony HS10? I'm wondering how they would compare for about the same price or less. I see the when viewing 16:9 sources the HT1000 is really only 1024 X 576 (not far from my 960 X 540 L300u). I know the TW100 and the HS10 both have better resolution (and no rainbows), but I'm not sure if that makes up for their lack in contrast?

· Registered
1,639 Posts
spoonfed,

when i was looking at material for my masking set-up, the felt i saw looked like it had tiny, shiny strands thru-out it and i was worried that those particles would 'sparkle' or be noticeable in the light spill, so i opted for black velvet, which just seemed to suck up all light in the store.

the felt might work, but even with the light absorbing qualities of the velvet, i still had to mask part of the light spill back closer to the projector (with a piece of wood and cardboad).

the velvet did give a nice, clean edge to the image though- and i had a coupon for 50% on the material at the time, so it ended up being the same as the regular price per yard of felt.

Quote:
btw, ckolchak, you left out one important comparison question...

Does the HT1000 deliver 3.5 times the oerformance? No. No more than a Ferrari delivers 10-20 times more performance than a Camry.
i admit my first impulse was to hopefully point up the superiority of one over the other (hell, i bought it too, gotta try to feel justified every chance i can get) but after thinking about it a few minutes i edited it to just the basic questions without the ignorant crowing.

i'm honestly curious as to just how much of the performance of the NEC that the infocus can achieve at its price point.

Darinp probably had the last word on what constitutes price vs value vs performance and questions like "is 'A' really worth X times the price of 'B' ".

i would love to be able to comfortably afford the new Marantz HD2+ (or even the older HD2) but i can't.

it might as well not exist as far as my situation is concerned.

if you can't afford something, the point is moot.

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Noah,

A CRT projector dealer took it in trade from an NEC dealer to make a sale on a CRT projector. He took it out of the box to play with it just to satisfy his curiosity, put 5 hours on it and then sold it to me with warranty and rebate. I saved $400 from the new street price. It was a good deal since it's like getting a little discount on a new unit. And I was close to pulling the trigger on one at the full price. So made me very happy.

Just didn't want you to be thinking I was able to find a steal on it. ;)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.