AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a noob when it comes to the Home Theater world, so please excuse my ignorance about certain things

I am pretty sure that I am in the market for a DLP PJ. I have found a good deal on an InFocus LP340; however it is refurbed:eek: which scares me. The X1 comes with a 5 year warranty correct?

from what I have been reading the X1 looks like the way to go with a budget minded PJ.

I am also considering a plasma TV, but I just can't justify the price vs. performance.

I think I want the X1, but I have a few questions:

Will the X1 look as good or better than most RPTV's, plasmas? big screen LCD?

will the X1 support progressive scan DVD players?

I have been reading the X1's bulb life is actually 4000hrs, but the firmware shuts it down after 3Khrs. Someone had stated that InFocus is planning on rating all X1's after a certian SN# for 4Khrs, does anyone know when this will be????

In your opinion is the X1 my best bet for a PJ priced under $1,500???

Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
Haven't seen either pj, but there have been many reported problems with the lp340 bulbs prematurely blowing up after only 200-300 hours of use. Additionally, if I had to guess based on specs I would put my money on the X1 having better overall image quality. So stay away from the lp340 refurb. The X1 is a known great deal for the money, though how you like it vs. plasma/rptv/lcd will mostly boil down to personal preferences and what performance aspects of video you value the most. Personally after having a projector for 6 months I think I would prefer a good plasma or flat fanel display, but the budget projectors like the X1 these days (all the good ones like X1, ae200/300, Z1 will be similar in image quality) are a rare combination of low price, huge image size, and decent - to - very good image quality.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Oh, and yes, the X1 supports progressive scan DVD, but the built-in progressive scan processing inside the X1 is so good you may actually get a better picture by turning it off on your DVD player and having the X1 do it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The picture quality of the X1 and other DLP PJ's is quite good. While my Tosh RP HDTV has an edge in resolution, black level, and brightness, the X1 looks nearly as good for most material. Basically it comes down to this: you'll get 90% of the image quality on the X1, plus a huge screen, no worries of burn-in, the ability to accept 720p and your PC, all for about 1/2 the cost of a traditional set 1/2 the size.

As far as the 3000 vs 4000 hours thingie goes, I believe you can reset the bulb counter to 0 whenever you want. If you want it to be a 4000 hour bulb, just reset it after the first 1000 hours. Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will stay away from the LP340, and I think I will be go for an X1 in the near future. I'll be sure to let you know how it works out

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I just recieved my X1 Demo the other day and couldn't stop watching it. I was watching DVDs on a 100" wide (yes, that's width, no diagonal) wall and everyone here thought it looked incredible.

I also have a 55" HDTV and the picture of the X1 is quite close. I also see less noise in the dvds than on my HDTV (maybe because of the faroudja deinterlacer). The picture is mind blowing for under $1,000. I didn't expect it to look anywhere close to what it did. I was dead wrong. My TV is now rarely getting used. Unless you're sensitive to rainbows (I haven't seen any) or are EXTREMELY picky (this is coming from someone who does convergence and focus on his tv way too much) you should love it.

I was amazed at the quality of the picture with ambient light too. I am projecting from my living room coffee table onto a large textured white wall in my kitchen. When my light in the living room is on (where the projector is at) the picture in the kitchen where it's being projected still looks very very good. So, we sat there and watched some downloaded files from my computer with the living room light on and the pic still looked great. I might get some screenshots later. I love this thing!

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Unless you are getting a really great deal on the LP340 (like $500), I would go for the X1.

The X1 has the same resolution and color wheel specs as the 340. However, it has much better color, contrast, and video processing. I suspect it looks brighter when calibrated for film, but I have no hard data on this point.

I have an X1 which replaced an older Infocus LP400 (a generation before the 340) and I could hardly be more pleased. I bought it as a stop-gap and am now considering keeping it until I can get 1080P at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question: The X1's native resolution is 800x600 correct? I am wondering how the image quality will be effected if I hook PC up and want to use 1024x768 or even higher. will the image begin to degrade drastically after 800x600?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
DLPs (X1) and LCDs (Z1, PT-L200U/300U, etc.) are all fixed panel displays. If the native resolution is 800x600, ALL signals it can accept will be scaled to be displayed at this resolution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of my biggest concerns is using a PJ with a PC.

You stated that any image displayed on the X1 will be scaled to 800x600. So if my PC's display setting is a 1024x768 or 1152x864 then is will be scaled to 800x600 correct? Won't this make the image look pretty crappy? I thought I read that thru the use of compression on some projectors that an image could be scaled to whatever? but I guess the X1 doesn't do this?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This is just the nature of the beast. My PT-L200U uses 858x484 16:9 LCD panels. DVDs look great and the HD output from my Motorola 5100 (Comcast), although it is rescaled to fit the panels' resolution, is fantastic. I haven't tried using a PC with the PJ so can't comment on how well it scales other resolutions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.