AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I use the VGA input almost exclusively so I really can't say. When I do use the Svideo input it is because the source material is inferior so I would use the middle or lower settings.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dosen't sharpest give you more details? Using a lower setting just blurs out the image a bit...

If so, then I have to assume a more 'blurry' image might even be preferable? And looking at the post results, a out 5 out of 7 don't use the sharper settings...

And what would be the correlation between sharpness and projector resolution?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grandarf
Dosen't sharpest give you more details? Using a lower setting just blurs out the image a bit...
Increasing the "sharpness" setting adds Edge Enhancement and most people go overboard with it.

Here's some interesting related articles on EE, sharpness, and image adjustment errors:

* Ultimate Guide To 'Edge Enhancement'

* Basic TV Adjustment - ( part one / part two )

* Eliminating Image Quality Issues

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:
Dosen't sharpest give you more details?
Nope.. to the untrained eye it looks like it has higher detail, but in fact, a softer setting creates a more natural image wtih more detail in highly-detailed scenes. calibrating with Avia whcih i just got, i have it on the second to last soft setting, 'softer?'. However, im still tempted to crank up the sharpness sometimes, but i resist myself.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
this has been asked before many months ago.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Quote:
Nope.. to the untrained eye it looks like it has higher detail, but in fact, a softer setting creates a more natural image wtih more detail in highly-detailed scenes. calibrating with Avia whcih i just got, i have it on the second to last soft setting, 'softer?'. However, im still tempted to crank up the sharpness sometimes, but i resist myself.
Well said!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Only use sharpness for S-Video (Xbox, till get VGA adaptor)

DVD/HD TV is VGA from HTPC, so sharpness setting is not needed. VGA from good source/video card, is soooooooooooo much cleaner than S-Video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.