AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the X1 demo from Infocus. I get to keep it for 10 days, but I don't think I will. I will be buying this awesome projector as soon as I get the measurements for my mount and screen and test it at home. So far I spent some time with it in the office, and it ROCKS!

The colors are so real, the display from a cheapo apex dvd played though an s-video cable is really good. Really.

I noticed some rainbows, just like with our older Infocus (lp435z) but they don't bother me much. BTW I cannot believe that we spent almost $8000 on the lp435z four years ago. What a piece of junk it is compared to X1 -and it was an XGA too!

I noticed that the rainbows are much less pronounced when in "film" mode - I guess that would be because the white segment is off. I also adjusted the overall brightness and contrast, but haven't had much time do do more. I guess I got used to it a bit as well, 'cause I didn't see any rainbows at all after 10-15 minutes. Unless I got a glowing white object against a totally black background. And what blacks they are- I swear they have to be the deepest blacks of all the (budget) PJs I saw.

I will spent the night with it tonight, oh yeah!

Can anyone confirm if the white segment is off in both film and video modes? I didnt see much change between these two presets, only in gamma perhaps. So I guess it is. According to the manual you can further adjust those prests and save them - is it true? I didn't have time to try it yet...

Pixellation is NO PROBLEM, the imperfections of the source (dvd and the player) are actually more obvious then the display device limitations themselves. I think watching a superbit reference quality material from a decent player though component cables will actuall yield even better results. I ca't wait to see that!

Oh boy, I'm so happy.

Everyone in the office wants one now, I might bring you more business, you know who you are :)

This turned out to be a mini-review, but I just had to say it.

My mind is made up.

I saw a Hitachi, an LG, a Sanyo PLV-Z1 and the Sony HS10 and I tell you one thing: for the money this thing CANNOT BE BEAT. Here in Canada the next one in its price range is $500 more (Sanyo) and the Panasonic isn't even availble - at least here in Vancouver. Nobody was able to give me a quote on it anyway.

Now I don't care. I'm getting the X!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yesser that piesek sure does get excited! Anybody got a towel handy?!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say, you're pretty funny for a deadman :)

Looking at your motto (quote: "I'm not cheap I'm economical...")

you have to agree with me- X1 has to be one of the best ways to spend $1200 hard earned cash. I get excited when I get my money's worth, that's all. Plus I'm actually quite enthusiastic about things in general - that is if they are as cool as this PJ. And yes, I've got my own towel handy, I was prepared, you know...

piesek

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

Almost 100 hours using the X1 and I love it!!! As you, I was a owner of other Infocus projector, the LP-340B and it doesn't match the quality of the X1.

If you were impress with it, try this combination and you won't believe the picture quality you can get:

1. obviously the X1

2. a good progressive scan DVD, like the Panny RP-82 or XP-30

3. use the component outputs of the DVD player and the X1 VGA input (a

breakout cable needed)

4. a gray finished screen (I recommend ScreeGoo paints, specifically

the Digital Gray finish)

5. and a pitch black room environment

With this settings, you can't believe what you see!!! you can visit my site and see how good the X1 can look.

Home Page

·
Registered
454 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone confirm if the white segment is off in both film and video modes? I didnt see much change between these two presets, only in gamma perhaps. So I guess it is. According to the manual you can further adjust those prests and save them - is it true? I didn't have time to try it yet...
- Yes, the white is off during film/video. Check out the menu when you flip between film and presentation.

- Yes, there are 3 user modes that you can save. Select film, manuipulate it some and save it under user1/2/3. I have my nighttime setup saved starting with film mode and my daytime mode set, starting with presentation mode.

Enjoy. I like mine too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually found the info about the demo program on this forum.

There is no link from anywhere on the InFocus page and I think it is a differnt company that is doing that for Infocus.

The url is http://www.infocus.com/evalexpress

Keep it in mind however, that this is not meant for "private persons" but infocus resellers that need to demo the product to their customers, I think.

However I ordered it using my company's info and I got it, eventhough I am not a reseller. I guess as long as there is a business name an address on it it could work.

I got it from a Canadian "branch" of the program and it was a last X1 available at this time and it was shipped overnight. The people there are super nice and helpful, btw.

I hope this helps, as it helped me a LOT. I couldn't find any demos here locally and the "business" ditributors I contacted pretty much ignored me.

I wouldn't buy from them anyway, as their prices were way to high.

A lot of places use the $100 Infocus rebate to advertise the "net" price and make it look good, but you can find one for a really great price if you search on the net, or in this forum for that matter.

piesek

·
Registered
718 Posts
Costco in Canada carries the X1. With their return policy you can "demo" longer than 10 days if you really need to. I don't know if rainbows will bother me or my family but I see Costco as a great way of finding out with this projector. BTW, how long should it take watching a DLP like the X1 to notice whether or not rainbows bother you ??

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed rainbows immediately. I can actually induce them at any time, as long as there is a white (or generally bright) or glowing spot on the screen against a dark background - best example being a flame, or a car headlight or white on black credits.

It is interesting that white objects in animated movies (such as Toy story) do not create rainbows for me, just a "real" film.

I do not know how long it takes to find out if it bothers you, I think you should give it some time to find out - I personally learned to controll it. Any rapid eye movements across the screen will produce this effect for sure. You do this subconsiously, scanning the screen just like you scan the road and everything in your field of vision when driving - without really thinking about it.

Sometime this movement is forced, when an object is actually moving rapidly across the scren and you have to follow it - but that is not nearly as bad.

The sceen size makes a big difference - the smaller the screen, the less "scanning" you will do. The contrast setting does it for me too - if I "tame" the picture a bit it the rainbows get much easier to control.

I know about rainbows from this forum and I was looking for them. My wife and kids don't know about them and they didn't say anything about the X1 apart form how amazing this PJ is. I personally learned how to relax and concentrate on the movie and I don't see them anymore unless I want to - it took me about 20 hrs total to achieve that. BTW In my case it was never as extreme as in some other posts where people got headaches and nausea. The rainbows are a non-issue for me and my family is not bothered by it. And frankly I don't care about other people as I bought it for us, not to show off. Rainbows are certainly a shortcoming and perhaps an annoyance, but not quite as evil as some might make you believe.

piesek

·
Registered
382 Posts
I will second that motion, piesek!

Rainbows have become less and less of an issue for me, and after a couple days, they are pretty easy to avoid on the X1. When they do happen, they don't bother me. I think if someone drops in for a night to watch a movie there may be a chance of rainbows, but I think probably not judging by the people we've had see the X1.

Ryan

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got an X1 Demo today...........I just filled out the form put my place of employment in as the business and my home address as the ship address and UPS delivered a X1 today ( 3 days later) So far I'm pretty impressed. The Lt150 has a slightly better picture but this projector is much quiter. Also the video processor does a much better job making S-Video Sat signal watchable.

Chris

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got an X1 Demo today...........I just filled out the form put my place of employment in as the business and my home address as the ship address and UPS delivered a X1 today ( 3 days later) So far I'm pretty impressed. The Lt150 has a slightly better picture but this projector is much quiter. Also the video processor does a much better job making S-Video Sat signal watchable.

Chris

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sent the demo X1 back last wednesday. And right away I ordered my own. And the mount. And the screen. I can't wait.

This demo program is amazing. Truly amazing. It only adds to the overall appeal the X1 has. And just to think that some call it a "hype".

piesek

·
Registered
240 Posts
Has anybody done the comparsion between the infocus X 1 and the panasonic AE 3000 , not forgetting the Snayo Z1

I am not sure if indeed the DVI output from the A E300 is worthed extra px to pay ..

IS DVI really that good when powering from the PC , as compared to VGA ??

·
Registered
240 Posts
Has anybody done the comparsion between the infocus X 1 and the panasonic AE 3000 , not forgetting the Snayo Z1

I am not sure if indeed the DVI output from the A E300 is worthed extra px to pay ..

IS DVI really that good when powering from the PC , as compared to VGA ??

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
That screen may arrive before the money order does... I ordered it last night,,, and it was already in stock.

I have just finished a wide screen light grey goo screen on parklands... It will be the equivilent of a 140" diagonal screen. I will let you know how it pushes the envelope. The CRT white has a higher gain @ 1.6 and the image was stunning @ 105" diagonal...no problems whatsoever.

Will have a hd satelite on it hopefully by Friday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.