AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between these? They told me since I have the compact florescent bulbs in my lamps that I'd need an appliance module. I was under the impression that the modules simply toggled the power to the device - how is that done in two separate products?


Thanks,


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddoria /forum/post/15538195


What is the difference between these? They told me since I have the compact florescent bulbs in my lamps that I'd need an appliance module. I was under the impression that the modules simply toggled the power to the device - how is that done in two separate products?


Thanks,


Dave

From what I understand, the only difference is the appliance module has a 3 prong plug and is for higher amperage devices. You can use them for lamps, but you can't use the lamp modules for appliances. Also, the dimmer function of the lamp modules won't work with florescent bulbs. The X10 site has forums that provide good information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/15547503


The lamp module is a dimmer. The appliance module is a switch.

Correct. Lamp modules are designed for incandescent bulbs only, and offer a dimmer function. Appliance modules are strictly On/Off, and are also designed to handle more current.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddoria /forum/post/15538195


What is the difference between these? They told me since I have the compact florescent bulbs in my lamps that I'd need an appliance module. I was under the impression that the modules simply toggled the power to the device - how is that done in two separate products?


Thanks,


Dave

You need one of the following because of your lighting type and depending on if you would like to wire in a new outlet or not. AM466, AM486, SR227, or XPR. I would suggest the outlets seeing as they have a higher rating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves360 /forum/post/15547638


You need one of the following because of your lighting type and depending on if you would like to wire in a new outlet or not. AM466, AM486, SR227, or XPR. I would suggest the outlets seeing as they have a higher rating.

I have dimmable CFLs from Neptune
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
The correct thing to do would be to use XPDi3 switches from X10. They are heavy duty dimming decor style wall switches. Combine those with the dimming energy savers or what ever type of dimming bulb you would like and you shouldn't have any flickering at low settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,489 Posts
Just to emphasis what has already been said...


The lamp modules dim. I also believe that they allow a small amount of current to flow through the switch when they are at 0%. So there is no true OFF with the lamp modules.


The appliance modules turn off and on. There is no dimming capability. They also are truely OFF and don't allow any power through the switch when turned off.


It's this power leak on the lamp modules that prevent you from using them on fluorescent lights.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts

Quote:
I also believe that they allow a small amount of current to flow through the switch when they are at 0%.

Same as the appliance modules. This current is required to power the X10 receiver.

Quote:
It's this power leak on the lamp modules that prevent you from using them on fluorescent lights.

The fact that fluorescent lamp ballasts are not resistive loads would be the real reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts

Just to emphasis what has already been said...

The appliance modules turn off and on. They also are truely OFF and don't allow any power through the switch when turned off.



This isn't true. The appliance modules have a load sensor which sends out a small current. This can be very annoying, and thankfully there is a site which has pictures and details of how to mod this not to do that, and make it truly a

ON/OFF.


Say you turn on your appliance with X10. Then you walk by your appliance, and manually turn it off. Well the sensor current can tell you did that, and it will put the appliance module to OFF, to match the appliance. Problem is, sometimes this sensor causes the module to turn back on by itself, after you just turned it off. real pain. The mod is easy, just cut one wire, now it's ON/OFF and that's it.

http://idobartana.com/hakb/Modifying...nce_module.htm


Scroll down to the "Defeating current sensing"
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top