AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help with setting up scene lighting with my x10 system. Currently I have 4 different sets of lights on 4 different x10 dimmers. I have a palm pad remote that i can turn them on/off or dim them with, but each light has to be operated individually. What I would like to do is be able to use a separate button on the remote that would turn all the lights off or on, or maybe dim two of them and shut two others off. Basically, set up a couple of macros for the lighting depending on the lighting mood I'm in.

Here's the deal, I know you can do this with one of the wired controllers, but that's no good. I'm building my room to hide wires, not add to the mess. So, I'm curious if there is a way to do it with one of the wireless remotes. I couldn't find one on the web that does it, so I'm asking you guys.

The one thing I did find was the pc receiver/sender and activehome software. I know that you can control the lights and create macros with this software from a PC, but can you use a wireless remote to execute one of the macros you create? I don't want to have to sit at a laptop in the theater room just to control lights. If this is possible to control with the wireless remote, it would work great because my server is in the room next to the home theater, so I wouldn't have to haul a PC into the theater room. I could hook the X10 device up to the server and let it command from there. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
What kind of lights are you dimming?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, sorry. I missed that on the remote. Does the remote let you program all the lights to dim to certain levels?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbacklund
Ok, sorry. I missed that on the remote. Does the remote let you program all the lights to dim to certain levels?
The IR543 is a IR receiver that sends out X10 commands. It is needed so you can use an IR remote to control the modules. You will need an IR remote that has X10 commands. I used one from Radio Shack to program my learning IR remote.

The IR543 does not have enough functionality to program the scenes in the modules.

To program scenes in the Switchlinc/Lamplinc modules you will need either the PC software solution I provided the link for or an X10 Maxi Controller. The PC software is lot easier to use.

The each module can be programmed for multiple different scenes(preset levels). I have 6 modules(set up as 1 to 6). I have programmed the 6 modules to respond X10 "ON" commands for modules 7, 8, 9 & 10. When I send X10 "ON" for 7 modules 1, 2, 4 & 6 turn off and 3 & 4 goto their lowest level. Send 8 "ON" and 1 & 2 goto lowest 3 & 4 goto second level and 5 & 6 turn off. And so on.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P
To program scenes in the Switchlinc/Lamplinc modules you will need either the PC software solution I provided the link for or an X10 Maxi Controller. The PC software is lot easier to use.
It's doable with just the Maxi Controller, but it's a lot easier with software. What type of remote are you using?

I have 5 dimmers, and am using a Pronto paired to an IR543. I set up macros in the Pronto to dim the lights to a certain level at certain times. (e.g. Pause turns the rope lights and lobby lights on) The IR543 is in my equipment closet and hooked up to my IR distrobution system. The links above lead to good equipment and information.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am looking at doing a basic one-room config that will allow me to control 3-4 lamps via my Harmony 880. The only question I have is do I need to buy an X10 IR remote, basically the cheapest one I can find, in order to teach the Harmony the IR commands to create various scenes. My goal is to have the Harmony fire off a command to the X10 IR543 at the same time I hit Play while I am in the DVD activity, that will slowly dim the lights to off. When I hit pause, it will bring maybe 1 or 2 lights up to about 33% brightness. When I hit stop, it will bring all the lights up to full brightness or whatever I decide is an acceptable brightness.

My guess is that I will need to set all these scenes up with an actual X10 IR remote, then learn them into the Harmony - am I on track?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynotheman
I am looking at doing a basic one-room config that will allow me to control 3-4 lamps via my Harmony 880. The only question I have is do I need to buy an X10 IR remote, basically the cheapest one I can find, in order to teach the Harmony the IR commands to create various scenes. My goal is to have the Harmony fire off a command to the X10 IR543 at the same time I hit Play while I am in the DVD activity, that will slowly dim the lights to off. When I hit pause, it will bring maybe 1 or 2 lights up to about 33% brightness. When I hit stop, it will bring all the lights up to full brightness or whatever I decide is an acceptable brightness.

My guess is that I will need to set all these scenes up with an actual X10 IR remote, then learn them into the Harmony - am I on track?
Programming the scenes must be done with a Maxi controller or PC software, programing sequences are more complex than can be done thru an IR remote. Once the scene is programmed the scene will activate with a simple on command for the lamp number assigned to the scene( it will be a virtual lamp number, not one that actually exists). If the 880 does not have pre programmed X10 commands then purchasing a cheap X10 capable remote to teach is 880 is the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.