AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few x264 movies that I'd really like to watch. I have coax out on my mobo connected to amp. All other formats play great other than this. I've tried VLC with the SPDIF audio setting and Windows Media Player Classic but the audio stutters. (VLC detects the audio track as DTS 5.1)

I tried installing FFDSHOW but that trashed my audio for all formats.

Can someone please point me in the right direction on this one? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I installed AC3 filter 1.46 but VLC still stutters when I choose SPDIF for audio.

It's a bit strange. The only program that I can play x264 smoothly with is VLC. If I try something like Media Player Classic I only get 20FPS on average. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information out there on x264 playback. I have read through several threads and am still pretty confused!

Is there a simple way to play x264 at 25FPS and maintain the DTS audio over SPDIF?

Here are my specs if that helps at all:

Nvidia 8500 GT

Pentium Dual 2180 @ 2ghz

2gb ram

asus P5N-E

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
First remove any codec packs you have installed.

Use Media Player Classic or Zoom Player.

Get the latest Haali Media Splitter

Get the latest ffdshow video decoder OR buy CoreAVC

Use the ac3filter you have.

Set the preferences accordingly to use these filters.

This should work, unless you have other junk that's interfering.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
You probably have the infamous x264 "20fps bug", where the PDVD decoder screws up the frame rate when you play x264-created content on graphics cards with VLD acceleration (eg 8500/8600, ati 2400/2600 and 3000 series)

Two solutions:

1) Use IDC Changer to patch the video to 4.1, then it'll play perfectly (do a forum search for it) with the PDVD decoder.

2) Use MPC HC beta to play it, this has internal h264/vc1 decoders that support acceleration, and don't suffer from the 20fps bug:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=960

The latter is less troublesome, since you don't need to patch every file before playing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Core AVC, MPC, and now AC3 Filter. I have PowerDVD as well though. When I look at an x264 movie in Media Player Classic it says it using the PowerDVD/AVC for video.

See screen:

Is this the problem?

edit: arfster, just saw your post...i'll give it a go!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
strange, that media player classic beta wont play the files...just a black screen and I cannot advance through the movie at all.

Is there a better player for DVD's than PowerDVD? Maybe I can just uninstall PowerDVD as it seems to be the problem. I need to play DVD images from hard drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arfster, the IDC changer did the trick. I can now play files in Media Player Classic at the correct frame rate. Thanks so much!

Last question....how do I know if I'm getting the true DTS audio mix in MPC? I imagine I have to play around with the AC3 filter settings? Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts