Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10605

"The original plan was UKP 249, but now that Sony is talking about the PS3 being expensive, UKP 299 is looking more likely," according to one source - although it was admitted that this pricing is a "best guess" based on information from Microsoft, not an official figure by any means.

Even allowing for the higher tax rates here in Europe, a UKP 299 price point would translate as around $500 in the US, which is significantly higher than is currently anticipated by most market watchers - among whom the general consensus is that the system will launch at $300, suggesting a UK price point of under UKP 200.

Ugh. So if MSFT has the gall to launch at $500...Imagine how the PS3 *might* be priced.

Wait and see I guess. They can both sit on the shelf and collect dust at $500 or more for all I care.

It's been a long time since Santa brought me toys....but I can't see the average parent plunking down $500 for little Johnny's new video game console under the tree. Maybe if Mom and Dad use it too.

Again, just more speculation.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
It will not cost $500. Sorry if you live in Europe and will be paying more, but in the States, it will not cost $500 no matter what they end up charging overseas.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
This is for Europe. I seriously doubt it will be that expensive in the US, especially since J. Allard went on record stating it would be around $300. Expect a price to be between $300-$349. Now, they might launch 2 different versions of the 360 with a more expensive version offering more featuers like bigger HDD, comes with HD cables, web cam, etc. Then they might sell that for $500. But, don't expect $500 to be the standard price of the 360.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Bundles...got to love the bundles.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A $200 premium over what it costs in the states? Yeah...now there's a good plan for gaining marketshare. I don't think it will happen on either side of the pond, but you never know. If Sony opens the door to lose a few dollars less per console, why not?

*turning into*, Dean? Where have you been? ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope not, i think original was about £300 but not more

cant see it been more than, i hope its about £200

then get some bundles sorted with some games to make it a bit cheaper

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
This forum is turning into the next gen console speculation & fortune telling area....
This ain't any different than any of the display forums. Heck, they now have both Official and Unofficial CEDIA rumor threads, and the official one requires money up front to get to.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Quote:
A $200 premium over what it costs in the states? Yeah...now there's a good plan for gaining marketshare.
Do you understand that consoles always sell for more in Europe? Systems over there right now are selling at a 33% premium over our price, and at launch it's usually higher.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael St. Clair
Do you understand that consoles always sell for more in Europe? Systems over there right now are selling at a 33% premium over our price, and at launch it's usually higher.

No, I didn't, that wasn't the impression I got from the article.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael St. Clair
Well, that may not be completely accurate. The XBOX and PS2 are both only about $20-$30 more in the UK. Not sure about mainland Europe.

Still, just about all consoles are priced higher upon release in Europe over the States. Doesn't look like the 360 will be any different.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro
A $200 premium over what it costs in the states? Yeah...now there's a good plan for gaining marketshare. I don't think it will happen on either side of the pond, but you never know. If Sony opens the door to lose a few dollars less per console, why not?

*turning into*, Dean? Where have you been? ;)
True, I should have said 'become'.

That's all this forum is about lately is trying to guess what will happen with the next consoles.

How Successful they will be

How powerful they will be

How much they will cost

When they will release

What company will win

How much the games will cost

And God forbid you have a negative opinion on the last one. I guess people like paying as much as humanly possible....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
If the UK Xbox originally sold for £300 then it was about $450-500 US (in translation.) The original Xbox did NOT sell for $450-500 here.
The £:$ ratio wasn't nearly so bad when the original xbox launched.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
I can guarantee that £300 was at least more than $450 back then.
£300 was $432 at an exchange rate of 1:1.44.

Edited for typo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.