AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed the build of my system and am ready to install the OS. I planned on using Windows 7 Professional x64, but wanted everybody's opinion on 32bit vs. 64bit. I have 8gb of ram, so would prefer x64.

How are the following items under x64:

1. Blu-ray playback

2. MKV playback (Video codecs, FLAC codecs, etc)

3. MKV Ripping

Can you find a complete set of x64 codecs?

I plan on using media center primarily.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here's what I use for Windows 7 x 64

* MPC Video Decoder x64 for DXVA hardware accelerated AVC and VC1 decoding

* Matroska Splitter x64 for playback of MKV and MKA files

* ffdshow x64 for playback of various video types and multichannel audio such as FLAC, DTS Master Audio, AC3 Dolby True-HD

This is a pretty decent guide on how to set it all up.
http://jvance.com/blog/2008/12/15/Di...itCodecs.xhtml

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaclennan /forum/post/17034682

Here's what I use for Windows 7 x 64

* MPC Video Decoder x64 for DXVA hardware accelerated AVC and VC1 decoding

* Matroska Splitter x64 for playback of MKV and MKA files

* ffdshow x64 for playback of various video types and multichannel audio such as FLAC, DTS Master Audio, AC3 Dolby True-HD

This is a pretty decent guide on how to set it all up.
http://jvance.com/blog/2008/12/15/Di...itCodecs.xhtml

Can I use the standard player in Win 7 media center with this codec? Can the default player recognize MKv file type? Or do I have to use MPC-HC? If so How do I set the media center to use MPC-HC as the default video player?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not entirely sure if you can set MPC-HC to be your default video player while using just Windows 7 Media Center. I know that you can use a media organizer such as MediaBrowser so that you can tell a certain external program to load when you choose to play an MKV. You can set the default player for each file type.

If I'm not mistaken, Media Center uses the 64-bit version of WMP. So as long as you setup WMP to play MKVs, so should Media Center. All it takes is that registry hack for it to recognize MKVs. I don't think it recognizes them as video files though, but when you select the All Files under Type, you should be able to select a movie and play it as long as you setup the right codecs.

So yes, in short, the standard player for Media Center will play MKVs with FFDshow for audio (FLAC, Dolby TrueHD, AC3), the MPC decoder for video, and the registry hack to allow MKVs to be recognized.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaclennan /forum/post/17038989

I'm not entirely sure if you can set MPC-HC to be your default video player while using just Windows 7 Media Center. I know that you can use a media organizer such as MediaBrowser so that you can tell a certain external program to load when you choose to play an MKV. You can set the default player for each file type.

If I'm not mistaken, Media Center uses the 64-bit version of WMP. So as long as you setup WMP to play MKVs, so should Media Center. All it takes is that registry hack for it to recognize MKVs. I don't think it recognizes them as video files though, but when you select the All Files under Type, you should be able to select a movie and play it as long as you setup the right codecs.

So yes, in short, the standard player for Media Center will play MKVs with FFDshow for audio (FLAC, Dolby TrueHD, AC3), the MPC decoder for video, and the registry hack to allow MKVs to be recognized.

There is absolutely no problem using MPC-HC with 7MC as long as you get the correct x64 versions. I wrote a thread about this not too long ago. Basically, you need MPCVideoDec.ax, FFDShow, and the Matroska Splitter all in x64 version. With a few registry tweaks you can set the default to these and set your video renderer to EVR.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree.. overall 64 bit only benefits those who are encoding/transcoding/remuxing(slight benefit).. 64 bit is inherently slower under some conditions, good support but less then 32 bit and only real value is dealing with larger data sets.

If your just playing movies and/or gaming then 32 bit is a better platform - right now.

If you dont mind minor changes to your application deployment then 64 bit platform works wonderfully -

My office PC where I do encoding and remuxing of movies, including gaming is 64 bit

My HTPCs are all 32 bit - browse the web and play movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth /forum/post/17039026

If you aren't encoding, it doesn't matter. If you are using x264 to encode stuff, get 64-bit.

Although the 32 bit codecs and stuff seem a little bit more "tested" if you care.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextguy /forum/post/17039490

There is absolutely no problem using MPC-HC with 7MC as long as you get the correct x64 versions. I wrote a thread about this not too long ago. Basically, you need MPCVideoDec.ax, FFDShow, and the Matroska Splitter all in x64 version. With a few registry tweaks you can set the default to these and set your video renderer to EVR.

Yea, but that's not actually using MPC-HC, just the MPCVideoDec.ax codec. Rotelmania was asking if he uses that guide I posted, will 7MC play the MKVs or will he have to use an external player like MPC-HC. Yes 7MC will play your MKVs once you apply that guide...but I'm curious if the default player in 7MC could be changed to an external player of choice.

I wasn't sure, if someone really wanted to, if you could set MPC-HC as the default player for MKVs in 7MC. The way that 7MC works by default is it plays videos with WMP x64. I'm not sure if that could be changed in 7MC so that an external player is the default player.

Such as when the Slysoft Player eventually comes out. What if we wanted to use it over WMP to play movies in 7MC, could we? I use MediaBrowser and it has settings for a default external player to be set for each file type you use (ISO, MKV, TS, etc). Can that also be done in 7MC?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yea, I didn't think so. But all you have to do is install MediaBrowser and use it to load an external player. Can't go wrong with that, now you have a nice front-end and the ability to load an external player of choice.

And I definitely agree with those who say 64-bit is not needed for a HTPC unless you are encoding / transcoding / remuxing. I use 64-bit because my PC is an all-in-one unit. It is my rig for gaming, video editing, browsing, music, CAD, and will eventually be my server once I decide I want to build a dedicated HTPC for the living room. A few of my needs demand more memory...thus 64-bit is a must. But when i do build my dedicated HTPC I will probably stick with 32-bit.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
windows 7 x64 (as did vista) runs 32bit apps too. So it is a non-issue. (something XP 64bit has some problems with)

They way some posts are talking (out their ass) as if it is an either/or issues. It isn't.

Get x64 bit. You can run all the 32bit apps/filters/codec whatever or 64bit ones (they are a bit limited.. but so what). You just can't run a 32bit program using x64bit filters... or the other way around.

Quote:
If your just playing movies and/or gaming then 32 bit is a better platform - right now.

wrong.

In fact, because of directx issues memoney leak issues, 64bit vista (vs 32bit vista) has been the better choice for a long time. Also, because most games are 32bit and many have mem issues - using a 64bit OS lets the apps use the most resources it can as it isn't sharing a system wide ~3gig limit on ram.

You will get no slow down running 32bit apps in a 64bit vista or windows 7. Do some searches on techsites - their are a lot of benchmarks to show this.

The only thing you won't be getting is a nice bump in speed when you run in a program in native 64bit. Yeah, there are some super minor increases in selected apps (encoding.. maybe). You really won't notice it. Most of the software you'll be running will be 32bit. nothing wrong with that thougth...

blah blah blah. Get 64x version of windows
Anything you can run in 32bit windows you can run in 64bit windows (vista/windows 7)

Though, it is true that WMC is 64bit and thus can only use x64 filters/codec. But that isn't much an issues anymore (and only if you run WMC.) The defualt IE/WMP are 32bit (but there are 64bit versions too).

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielin /forum/post/17044672

windows 7 x64 (as did vista) runs 32bit apps too. So it is a non-issue. (something XP 64bit has some problems with)

They way some posts are talking (out their ass) as if it is an either/or issues. It isn't.

Get x64 bit. You can run all the 32bit apps/filters/codec whatever or 64bit ones (they are a bit limited.. but so what). You just can't run a 32bit program using x64bit filters... or the other way around.

wrong.

In fact, because of directx issues memoney leak issues, 64bit vista (vs 32bit vista) has been the better choice for a long time. Also, because most games are 32bit and many have mem issues - using a 64bit OS lets the apps use the most resources it can as it isn't sharing a system wide ~3gig limit on ram.

You will get no slow down running 32bit apps in a 64bit vista or windows 7. Do some searches on techsites - their are a lot of benchmarks to show this.

The only thing you won't be getting is a nice bump in speed when you run in a program in native 64bit. Yeah, there are some super minor increases in selected apps (encoding.. maybe). You really won't notice it. Most of the software you'll be running will be 32bit. nothing wrong with that thougth...

blah blah blah. Get 64x version of windows
Anything you can run in 32bit windows you can run in 64bit windows (vista/windows 7)

Though, it is true that WMC is 64bit and thus can only use x64 filters/codec. But that isn't much an issues anymore (and only if you run WMC.) The defualt IE/WMP are 32bit (but there are 64bit versions too).

I still disagree, if we are talking about a personal computer, I would say go for it. But just for a HTPC, I would just stick to 32 bit and not have to keep 2 copies of filters, codecs, etc.

I do agree that some people seem to think that x64 is some kind of magic bullet, when in fact some things in native 64 bit apps will actually be slower than their 32 bit equivalents. But from what I have read it (not sure how true), x264 does see a ~10% increase in performance sometimes.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBordello /forum/post/17034632

How are the following items under x64:

1. Blu-ray playback

2. MKV playback (Video codecs, FLAC codecs, etc)

3. MKV Ripping

Can you find a complete set of x64 codecs?

I plan on using media center primarily.

For BD playback and creating MKV, you will use only 32-bit applications anyway (TMT, PowerDVD, AnyDVD HD, eac3to etc.) that work fine with Windows 7 x64.

For MKV playback with the 7MC internal player: Two important (IMO) filters are missing in x64:

- madFlac: This only bit-perfect FLAC decoder is available only for x86 (as madshi, the author of madFlac, uses Delphi). There are a couple of x64 alternatives (non bit-perfect) though.

- ReClock: This important tool (for bit-perfect audio via WASAPI exclusive mode as well as many other tasks) is also only for x86.

FLAC+madFlac+WASAPI exlusive mode could improve audio quality tremendously over the other audio processing methods (except for HD audio bitstreaming via Xonar HDAV1.3, which is limited to the external player TMT). Otherwise necessary x64 filters are available.

Configuring filters for 7MC is not so trivial, though, in particular if you want to play various file formats in MC properly. I wrote two posts:

- A Quick Guide to Playing M2TS in WMP12/7MC

- DirectShow Decoders Used in WMP12/7MC

Enough complicated in x86, let alone x64...

IMO x86 is the way to go for HTPC (for now) if you care about audio/video quality as well as simplicity (no need of dealing with two sets of filters).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts