AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To any knowledgeable HD DVD guys still left out there;

I know HD DVD is "dead", but I never could bring myself to jump on the Blu Ray bandwagon....

I also chose BETA over VHS.............

I've got an XA1 vintage FEB 2006, I found an update disc (Ver. 2.4) that was the last update I did to this player.

Aside from being finicky with slightly damaged discs, it has served me well.

Recently, my friend who has an HD A2 ( I bought 3 at Wal Mart for $99 and sold him one ) gave me all his HD DVD's. He has an OPPO Blu Ray now.

So I popped in Battlestar Galactica, it would start playing the first chapter and literally SHUT OFF. I powered up the player TWO MORE TIMES and tried to play with same result.

Some months ago, it would not play "300". But I did watch it a year earlier with NO problem. I noticed a comment on disc rot?

I have 2 NIB HD - A2's in my closet, but I don't want to use them till this one REALLY dies. I'm a "former audiophile" who went mainstream from components to a receiver, etc. I have been very happy with the XA1, even with all its quirks.

I called the TOSH number for support and it doesn't appear that there are humans to talk to now. The recording directs you to www.acclaim.toshiba.com ??

So I will go to that site now, but if there is anyone still trolling this forum that can help, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Do you know what firmware version the A2 has? I would verify it has the latest firmware. Also, some disks, especially Warner have Disc rot and degrade over time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I'm using the XA1.

The firmware is 2.4. I know there is a 4.0 version. I guess I have to burn a DVD-R and try loading it up.

It's only this movie series and aside from the movie "300" not playing anymore, the player works fine. Slow in setting up but fine.

I'm actually afraid the 4.0 update will CREATE more problems............But I will try it.

Thanks for reply as I know this is a dead format, so I appreciate the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts