AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

I had heard that all HD-DvD's are region free and was wondering if they will also do NTSCPAL conversion? I have a Pioneer player that is un-locked for regions and will do the conversion as well.

I have a few discs from Europe but would like to shelve the Pioneer if the XA2 can play them. Problem is they are packed away and I can'y find them to test. Anyone know if the XA2 can perform these functions?

When I come across the PAL DvD's I'll throw them in and test, but was hoping someone could answer this.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
No

The XA2 is NTSC only for sd dvd.. however, New UK version of this player - XA1 in UK will play PAL & NTSC sd dvd ( not region free out of the box though ).

Also cheaper than importing a XA2 with taxes etc as available in UK from Dabs.com for £ 540 all inclusive - out in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxxer /forum/post/0

All -

I had heard that all HD-DvD's are region free and was wondering if they will also do NTSCPAL conversion? I have a Pioneer player that is un-locked for regions and will do the conversion as well.

I have a few discs from Europe but would like to shelve the Pioneer if the XA2 can play them. Problem is they are packed away and I can'y find them to test. Anyone know if the XA2 can perform these functions?

When I come across the PAL DvD's I'll throw them in and test, but was hoping someone could answer this.

Thanks

US XA2 doea not play PAL. It just says that it is a PAL disc and can't be played.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENVAL /forum/post/0

No

The XA2 is NTSC only for sd dvd.. however, New UK version of this player - XA1 in UK will play PAL & NTSC sd dvd ( not region free out of the box though ).

Also cheaper than importing a XA2 with taxes etc as available in UK from Dabs.com for £ 540 all inclusive - out in 2-3 weeks.

How is it cheaper? 540 pounds is $1066US. That is more than $999 MSRP in US. Even with shipping you can get it cheaper from J&R.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENVAL /forum/post/0

No

I think you mean HD-XE1, not a UK XA1.

Specifications: http://www.highdefinitiondvd.eu/prod...ifications.cfm

It is great that it plays HD DVD and both PAL & NTSC DVD's. But, alas, it isn't necessarily a good solution for US residents like me:
  • Don't yet have a hack it to make it region-free for sd DVDs
  • XE1 manufacturer-suggested full list price in the UK is something like $300 more than the XA2 in the US.
  • credit card companies charge a premium of up to 4% for translating purchases from non-US currency (i.e., up to $50 in this case)
  • shipping across the pond wouldn't be cheap
  • how would a US resident get repairs on a non-US model?

So at least for the time being, it feels like I'm better off with a US model and having my Oppo 981 for my very few PAL disc (and SACD & DVD-A).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.