AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard that while using the XA2 it is much better to set HDMI to AUTO and Optical to BITSTREAM, or else you get low volume playback? Can anyone help me.. because the way I have it now is HDMI: PCM and Optical: PCM.... I dont know if I put it like that or changed the Optical to where it is now.... does anyone have this issue or know what im talking about? Ive heard it a few times now here...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one huh.... id love this answered and I know atleast 2 others who would love it too.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX /forum/post/0

Ive heard that while using the XA2 it is much better to set HDMI to AUTO and Optical to BITSTREAM, or else you get low volume playback?

Hi,

It's quite possible I missed or forgot the links regarding the HD-XA2, so if you don't mind could you provide a link(s) to where you read about this low volume applying specifically to the HDMI outputs of the HD-XA2 ?

It should be noted that there are different issues involved with regard to experiencing low volume when using the analog outputs of any player, i.e., HD DVD, Blu-ray, DVD-Audio or SACD. This sticky thread discusses a fundamental issue when using any player's analog outputs. LFE, subwoofers and interconnects explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX /forum/post/0

Can anyone help me.. because the way I have it now is HDMI: PCM and Optical: PCM.... I dont know if I put it like that or changed the Optical to where it is now.... does anyone have this issue or know what im talking about? Ive heard it a few times now here...

Without intending to be a smart aleck, why not try changing the SPDIF settings and see if you experience a change in volume on your HDMI output? (I would try it for you on my HD-XA2, but I don't have an HDMI enabled preamp.)

There are a number of links describing a low volume problem on the HDMI output as it pertains to the HD-A2. Apparently the output on the HDMI connection is unintentionally affected by the SPDIF optical settings (as well as how the player upscales content). This unintuitive and confusing interaction apparently occurs even if there is no SPDIF optical connection.

Here's a link describing the situation for the HD-A2. HD-A2 HDMI Audio Issue?

In addition, the HD-A2's user manual discusses a similar, but opposite volume interaction. The manual describes an interaction between the HDMI settings that causes low volume on SPDIF and analog connections, rather than the HDMI output as has been reported by a number of forum members.

On page 53 of the HD-A2 manual in the Notes at the end of the Digital Output HDMI section:

Quote:
Note

Setting Auto or PCM will reduce output level of multi

channel sound from the ANALOG AUDIO OUTPUT jacks and

the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT BITSTREAM/PCM jack if you:

- view the playback picture on an HDMI TV connected to

this player.

- play an HD DVD video disc of a certain type, recorded in

linear PCM format.

In this case,the output level will be restored by setting to

Downmixed PCM.

In reviewing the manual for the HD-XA2 there are no such references to interactions between the HDMI and SPDIF settings. Of course that certainly doesn't guarantee that there aren't any quirky interactions between the HDMI and SPDIF settings on the HD-XA2, but it gives us hope that Toshiba is aware of these unintended interactions, and hopefully may have made some corrective changes in their later model player.

In order to determine whether the HD-XA2 also suffers a problem, it would be helpful for you and other HD-XA2 owners with HDMI receivers to specifically comment here on whether you detect any significant changes in volume on the HDMI outputs when changing the SPDIF settings.

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, its fine... Ill have to check tonight... later tonight that is when im able to sit down for 15 minutes and judge. HDMI AUTO is probably the best bet I think.. then Ill play with the SPDIF settings, I guess it doesnt matter if HDMI is on AUTO or PCM...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.