AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a lovely one. My one and a half year-old XA2, which was bought new for over 1K Canadian and has had moderate use *at best* has begun dropping frames, making its image stutter and jerk. This is top-of-the-line quality from Toshiba?? Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution short of sending it off for a costly repair? I'm very disappointed to say the least.

·
Registered
27,413 Posts
IS this occurring at all resolutions?

Do you have a new display or scaler?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/15515586

IS this occurring at all resolutions?

Do you have a new display or scaler?

I haven't tried it at any other rez than 1080P (the native rez of my display) but have not done anything to alter the settings of my display over the past year, nor have I added a scaler or any new gear. My PS3 does not replicate the problem, nor do any of my other video components. This is clearly an XA2 issue. Nobody else has experience this?

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyboy /forum/post/15516801

I haven't tried it at any other rez than 1080P (the native rez of my display) but have not done anything to alter the settings of my display over the past year, nor have I added a scaler or any new gear. My PS3 does not replicate the problem, nor do any of my other video components. This is clearly an XA2 issue. Nobody else has experience this?

I have had mine for almost 2 years now, glitch free! I still use the XA2 frequently for HD DVD's and also for all my SD DVD's. The PS3 in my opinion does not do as good of a job upscaling as the XA2....

Back to your issue, I would try using your HDMI cable from the PS3 and plugging it into the XA2, see if it may be a bad cable. Cables are not always forever, they can go bad.

·
Registered
824 Posts
XA2 is still going strong here, no problems like you describe. like the other posters have said, upgrade the firmware to 4 if you haven't already.

Also, try clearing the persistent memory,etc,etc,etc . . . .

·
Registered
572 Posts
One idea. If you have your frame rate set to 1080p/24 and are watching 30fps source video, then it can look like it's dropping frames and stuttering.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
1080p24 versus 1080p60 issue?

How about some other bits of information like your displays resolution, if it can handle 1080p24 and what discs are having the issue.

Maybe you switched on 1080p24 mode or 1080p60 or 1080i60 mode on by mistake and maybe some DVDs are being upscaled twice?

Are you having issues with DVDs or HD DVDs?

The Reon in the HD XA2 is hands down better than the PS3 for standard DVD upconversion if your settings are right.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i am getting stuttering when watching SD DVDs. my settings are set to 1080p/24 with and panasonic ae900 projector. yes, it accepts this signal and have had zero issues up until the last month or so. i only use this for SD DVD viewing and have not changed any setting or equipment. runs from XA2->Onkyo 605->projector. i haven't watched any HD-DVDs lately, but will later today to determine if this is apparent on HD discs as well.

·
Registered
572 Posts
1080p/24 will not work with all DVDs. It depends mostly on whether the content was shot and edited at 24 fps. If it's stutters, switch to Auto and then switch back when watching something else. When using the wrong fps I've seen it either stutter or the picture quality will look poor with lots of jaggies and line-doubling appearance.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean /forum/post/15586355

1080p/24 will not work with all DVDs. It depends mostly on whether the content was shot and edited at 24 fps. If it's stutters, switch to Auto and then switch back when watching something else. When using the wrong fps I've seen it either stutter or the picture quality will look poor with lots of jaggies and line-doubling appearance.

thanks, i will definitely give this a try next time i watch.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Mine started to stutter too a while back and then it got to the point of not playing discs, YMMV.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I have recently noticed what looks like frames being dropped. I was watching my Star Trek TMP DVD a few days ago, and there are a number of scenes showing this behavior. One good scene in this DVD that shows this is when the Enterprise launches from Earth and does its pass by Jupiter. In both shots, the Enterprise jerks along as it flys through the scene. Thinking it might be the DVD, I tried it in my ps3, and the motion of the ship was smooth. This happens at every resolution and framerate on my XA2, except 1080p24. Sadly, I get very bad combing artifacts with this disk at 1080p24.

I even tried switching it to 480i output on component, and it STILL showed this frame dropping on this disk. This suggests to me that my XA2 is not deinterlacing properly, and as well that the XA2 is actually not capable of outputting raw 480i from DVD, but it is rather actually deinterlacing 480i to 480p, and then converting back to 480i for output.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this is new behavior from my XA2, or if it has always been doing this and I didn't notice it before. Previously when I had watched this particular DVD, it had been at 1080p24.

I tried both firmare 2.7 and 4.0.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts