AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started so innocently when I decided to check all the fw versions on all of my machines and upgrade as needed. I powered all of them up and began to check them. I then started with my TV and all went good. I then turned to my virgin (no upgrades) XA2 and noticed that it would not respond to the remote or any of the buttons on the front. I then noticed that to power it down I had to hold the power button for about 10sec (reset?). I continued to power it down, unplug it for different amounts of durations, all to no avail. I put a number of discs in and they all would start on their own and play fine but the player would not respond to any inputs given to it. At this point panic began to set in as I thought that my beloved XA2 has just bricked itself. My last ditch attempt was to try and do an upgrade to it and see what it would do. I proceeded to upgrade to 2.7 and all went well. The player is working again but it appears that the picture quality has been severely degraded. This player has always been an outstanding up converting player but now it seems it is no longer up converting. Anybody have any thoughts on this. Did I do something to damage my player? Will upgrading to 4.0 help me? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I followed the instructions of the upgrade to the letter. Is there another step that I may have missed? Like initializing. How does one do that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I did that originally but can't remember. I just did it to make sure and it seems like that may have helped. The picture seems to look better but i will keep testing to be sure. Any thoughts on what happened to the player in the first place. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made no changes to anything and after this happened I went back into the setup menu to verify if anything had been changed and nothing was changed.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwrench /forum/post/15489151

I made no changes to anything and after this happened I went back into the setup menu to verify if anything had been changed and nothing was changed.

Choose the "picture" button on the XA2 remote AFTER a DVD is loaded, and it will pop up a picture screen in the upper left hand side of the screen. Choose a number and enter "edit."

This is what I use:

Contrast: 3

Bright: 0

Color: 3

Tint: 0

Selective Color: 3

Edge Enhancement: 2

Mosquito: On

Block: Off

Random NR: On

If you have all zeros and everything is off when you first go in there, this could very well explain why you think something is broken. The XA2 picture settings properly tuned surely makes a difference to me. Make sure you choose the correct number that you just changed the settings on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes everything is 0 and off but this is the way the player has been setup since I got it. A friend and I adjusted the TV to the player via avia and the picture all this time has just been stunning to say the least. What made me think the player broke was the fact that it stopped responding to any input. All it would do is play a dvd nothing else and I mean nothing. The only way to power it down was to hold the power button for several seconds and this came out of the blue. I had done nothing to the player. There had been no power surges plus it is connected to a surge protector. It only started to respond after I upgraded to 2.7. I just finished watching Star Wars I sd with it and it looked good. That was the beauty of this machine it up converted sd so well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts