AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XA2 now plays multi region NTSC and PAL DVD. This is how I did it. I started with XA2 2.8 firmware but with capability to play multi region NTSC DVD as modified by XE1 2.5.0.1 fw.


1. Back date to XA2 1.3 fw - hex change for fw version is required

2. Up date to XE1 2.5.0.1 fw - hex change for model no. is required

3. Up date to XA2 2.7 fw - as 2.8 fw gives occasional black out


Credits are due to AVS members who shared with us in this forum which enable me to achieve this. I would like to thank Bud-man for sharing how he hacked his A2 to achieve NTSC and PAL capability, Nikeajax and The Doctor for showing us how to back date firmware and change hex. Also to Pitou for directing me to the site to download XA2 1.3 firmware.

Edit: CAUTION - Read post #76 before you proceed !!!!!



Yoong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoong /forum/post/13006832


My XA2 now plays multi region NTSC and PAL DVD. This is how I did it. I started with XA2 2.8 firmware but with capability to play multi region NTSC DVD as modified by XE1 2.5.0.1 fw.


1. Back date to XA2 1.3 fw - hex change for fw version is required

2. Up date to XE1 2.5.0.1 fw - hex change for model no. is required

3. Up date to XA2 2.7 fw - as 2.8 fw gives occasional black out


Credits are due to AVS members who shared with us in this forum which enable me to achieve this. I would like to thank Bud-man for sharing how he hacked his A2 to achieve NTSC and PAL capability, Nikeajax and The Doctor for showing us how to back date firmware and change hex. Also to Pitou for directing me to the site to download XA2 1.3 firmware.


Yoong

I'm trying this out at the moment. I agree thanks to everyone mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Can someone give me links to the firmware needed please?

My XA2 coming in on Wed has firmware 2.7 installed,and I have a 2.7 firmware disc from Toshiba,but need the rest.

And what needs done with the hex editor?

Simple instructions for a newbie/tech challenged HD-DVD fellow supporter would be very nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCooper /forum/post/13006959


YES YES YES. It works, Pal on the XA2. I'm a very happy man. Damn SD never looked so good.


Which version of firmware did you back date to?


Yoong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received quite a number of request for more details and links. Here goes;



1. How to Back Date firmware and Hex editor download site;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=960656



2. What to Hex edit in the XE1 2.5.0.1 firmware, post#60 by Nikeajax;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=981941&page=2



3. XA2 1.3 firmware download site;
http://www.spannerworks.net/reference/10_11a.asp



4. Hex converter;
http://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-dec...converter.html


The site where I downloaded XE1 2.5.0.1 firmware has been removed.

5. EDIT: XE1 2.5.0.1 Firmware download
http://rs104.rapidshare.com/files/84..._FW251_RCF.iso


I am in my mid 50s and am not a geek. By following the above, I was able to do it; so can you. As a matter of fact, 10 days ago I have not even heard of hexcimal!!!


Best of luck



Yoong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
yoong, at step 3 did you upgrade to 2.7 using the XA2 or XE1 firmware version?


Did you use official 2.8 version?


Thanks!


Pitou!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoong /forum/post/13008336


I received quite a number of request for more details and links. Here goes;



1. How to Back Date firmware and Hex editor download site;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=960656



2. What to Hex edit in the XE1 2.5.0.1 firmware, post#60 by Nikeajax;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=981941&page=2



3. XA2 1.3 firmware download site;
http://www.spannerworks.net/reference/10_11a.asp



4. Hex converter;
http://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-dec...converter.html


The site where I downloaded XE1 2.5.0.1 firmware has been removed.


I am in my mid 50s and am not a geek. By following the above, I was able to do it; so can you. As a matter of fact, 10 days ago I have not even heard of hexcimal!!!


Best of luck



Yoong

Hi Yoong,


Thanks for taking the time to do this! With the recent clearances on ubid and Overstock, there will be a lot of new XA2 owners to take advantage of this (me included!)


There are still a couple of ?'s I have - because of the possibility to brick players, every one understandably wants to be careful.


Here are my questions:


1) Can you start with any FW version before you do Step 1 (Back date to XA2 FW 1.3), or must you start with a certain FW version?


2) In all referred to hex changes, what you're doing is hex editing the ISO file, followed by burning edited ISO onto a CD, right?


3) In Step 1 (Back date to XA2 FW 1.3), you mention "hex change for FW version is required". Can you tell us the exact hex change you have to make?


4) In Step 2 (Update to XE1 2.5.0.1 FW), you mention "hex change for model no. is required". Can you tell us the exact hex change you have to make?


5) In Step 3 (Update to XA2 FW 2.7), no hex changes required, right?


Again, thanks a lot! I know this information is probably available in some of the thread links you linked us to, but it's great to have it all in one place so there's no chance of misunderstanding.


Also, if you find any active links to XE1 2.5.0.1 FW, please let us know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/13008504


yoong, at step 3 did you upgrade to 2.7 using the XA2 or XE1 firmware version?


Did you use official 2.8 version?


Thanks!


Pitou!

Pitou,


I used XA2 2.7. I believe both are the same, not sure though.

The 2.8 was official, unedited


Yoong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/13008590


yoong,


Sorry to ask again, but I can use the official US XA2 2.8 firmware iso and I'll keep PAL support?

Pitou,


I did not try using 2.8v. It should support PAL.


Yoong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Sorry I meant official US 2.7 XA2.


In fact I meant you used the US XA2 and not the EU XE1 firmware version, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Will this work with A2 as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitakura /forum/post/13008525


Hi Yoong,


Thanks for taking the time to do this! With the recent clearances on ubid and Overstock, there will be a lot of new XA2 owners to take advantage of this (me included!)


There are still a couple of ?'s I have - because of the possibility to brick players, every one understandably wants to be careful.


Here are my questions:


1) Can you start with any FW version before you do Step 1 (Back date to XA2 FW 1.3), or must you start with a certain FW version?


2) In all referred to hex changes, what you're doing is hex editing the ISO file, followed by burning edited ISO onto a CD, right?


3) In Step 1 (Back date to XA2 FW 1.3), you mention "hex change for FW version is required". Can you tell us the exact hex change you have to make?


4) In Step 2 (Update to XE1 2.5.0.1 FW), you mention "hex change for model no. is required". Can you tell us the exact hex change you have to make?


5) In Step 3 (Update to XA2 FW 2.7), no hex changes required, right?


Again, thanks a lot! I know this information is probably available in some of the thread links you linked us to, but it's great to have it all in one place so there's no chance of misunderstanding.


Also, if you find any active links to XE1 2.5.0.1 FW, please let us know!


1. Yes you can start with any version

2. Yes

3&4. Pls read links. Instructions posted there are very clear

5. No change required



Yoong
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoong /forum/post/13006832


My XA2 now plays multi region NTSC and PAL DVD. This is how I did it. I started with XA2 2.8 firmware but with capability to play multi region NTSC DVD as modified by XE1 2.5.0.1 fw.


1. Back date to XA2 1.3 fw - hex change for fw version is required

2. Up date to XE1 2.5.0.1 fw - hex change for model no. is required

3. Up date to XA2 2.7 fw - as 2.8 fw gives occasional black out


Credits are due to AVS members who shared with us in this forum which enable me to achieve this. I would like to thank Bud-man for sharing how he hacked his A2 to achieve NTSC and PAL capability, Nikeajax and The Doctor for showing us how to back date firmware and change hex. Also to Pitou for directing me to the site to download XA2 1.3 firmware.


Yoong

Yoong,


What do you mean by FW 2.8 giving occassional black out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoong /forum/post/13008684


1. Yes you can start with any version

2. Yes

3&4. Pls read links. Instructions posted there are very clear

5. No change required



Yoong

Thanks.


Just curious, which (1.3 or XE1 2.5) gives you PAL and which gives you region free?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoong /forum/post/13008336



The site where I downloaded XE1 2.5.0.1 firmware has been removed.


Yoong
Warning: FW in link below not verified to work. Use at own risk. (But if you use and it works, let us know!)



Here's a link to XE1 firmware referred to as "2.5.1". I don't know if it's identical to the XE1 2.5.0.1 FW that Yoong used, but I suppose you could verify the exact version# by checking hex code. I've downloaded it, but can't try it as my XA2 hasn't arrived yet.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...66#post6340366


Check post#2 by Drenco.
 
1 - 20 of 405 Posts
Top