AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Xantech for complete theater control?

369 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  sbradley02
We'll be using Xantech for control of our main and second floor systems in the new house. I'm considering using it for our theater system as well. Has anyone used Xantech for complete control of their home theater, and how well did it work out?

Thanks,

Seth
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "complete control".

Xantech repeater systems are often used in theaters, to distribute IR signals. They also make other useful devices, such as the GateKeeper system, and the URC-2 learning remote -- probably the most versatile non-touchscreen remote available.

What, exactly, do you want to do?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Golden
I'm not sure what you mean by "complete control".

Xantech repeater systems are often used in theaters, to distribute IR signals. They also make other useful devices, such as the GateKeeper system, and the URC-2 learning remote -- probably the most versatile non-touchscreen remote available.

What, exactly, do you want to do?
It needs to do complete automation, for instance, you press the DVD button on the URC-2, and the pre-pro will switch to DVD, the projector (and maybe amps) will be turned on, the scaler switched to the proper mode, etc. The tricky part of these systems is keeping track of the on state of components, for instance, if everything is off when you hit the first source button, you want to turn everything on, but if everything is already on, you don't want to turn it off, by sending another "power" code (since most pieces of equipment have a single button for off and on). An alternative would be to keep power switching and source switching separate.

Seth
See less See more
The URC-2 alone should be able to do all of that, if discrete on/off/input commands are available for your components. Without discrete IR codes, the GateKeeper would be able to automate the switching.

There are other brands that could do this as well, but you asked if it could be done with Xantech only -- and the answer is "yes" :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Golden
The URC-2 alone should be able to do all of that, if discrete on/off/input commands are available for your components. Without discrete IR codes, the GateKeeper would be able to automate the switching.

There are other brands that could do this as well, but you asked if it could be done with Xantech only -- and the answer is "yes" :)
I spent awhile on the phone today with Xantech, and was impressed with all the I/O options they offer, at a reasonable price. I think I'm going to go with Xantech.

Thanks,

Seth
Also check out their new "MAC1" Mini-macronizer product. It allows your handheld remote to send one IR command and it then issues the long series of IR commands to turn on/set inputs etc.

You won't have to hold the remote pointing at the IR receiver while all those commands are issued.

We have not tried one yet but it looks interesting. That and a Color Pronto Pro would be a nice option.

George
Quote:
Originally posted by George P
Also check out their new "MAC1" Mini-macronizer product. It allows your handheld remote to send one IR command and it then issues the long series of IR commands to turn on/set inputs etc.

You won't have to hold the remote pointing at the IR receiver while all those commands are issued.

We have not tried one yet but it looks interesting. That and a Color Pronto Pro would be a nice option.

George
While I could probably get away w/o it for the other systems in the house, the Home Theater would need it for sure.

Thanks,

Seth
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.