AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Whoah... reading the FAQ it appears that as part of the transfer you have to re-download everything? I have over 100 Rock Band songs that are registered to my current console and a handful of arcade games I rarely play that aren't.

Can anyone verify that you need to re-download all content?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
sort of, if the content is on your console you select "download again" but it doesn't, it shoots to 100 and you are done. still, it is a clunky solution and I wouldn't want to have to do it for a ton of stuff. If this one ever dies or I upgrade, it's going to be a royal pain to go through all my rock band tracks.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 /forum/post/14167351

sort of, if the content is on your console you select "download again" but it doesn't, it shoots to 100 and you are done. still, it is a clunky solution and I wouldn't want to have to do it for a ton of stuff. If this one ever dies or I upgrade, it's going to be a royal pain to go through all my rock band tracks.

well if you download songs as packs it wouldn't be all that bad.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/14167423

well if you download songs as packs it wouldn't be all that bad.

I took my profile over to a friend's house who was having a Rock Band party so we could play all my songs. Downloading them all at once was a colossal chore, not to mention that there is a limit to the amount of downloads you can queue up at once. I always buy the packs if I think I am going to wind up buying most of what is available and it still sucks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My initial testing indicates that this works as advertised. I had my 360 replaced but kept the hard drive earlier this year. I have Rock Band DLC downloaded on the old console and new ones with the new console (all on the same hard drive, of course). After doing their steps, it consolidated the licenses to all be for my new console. For the tracks that were purchased from my old console, I did have to redownload each individually (yes, its a bit of a pain), but almost all tracks took just a few seconds to download (as if it was simply downloading some new authorization). A few tracks that were updated by Harmonix (the Police tracks for me) needed to be redownloaded completely because I believe those were reissued and I never bothered to redownload them before.

Anyway, beginning to end the process took me about 30 minutes for about 30-40 RB tracks and a handful of programs to re-authorize (most of the time spent figuring out my password and testing to make sure it works). I tested it by playing a few of the old tracks in Rock Band with my CAT5 cable unplugged (previously, it would just hang Rock Band if I wasn't on Live).

Overall, I wish it were simpler, as it does require logging into xbox.com on a computer and manually selecting each piece of DLC to re-download (even if the download took just a few seconds for each).... but I can't complain as this fixes perhaps my biggest gripe about MS's DRM model. I'm happy knowing that I can take my console to a friend's house w/o having to go online in order to play a bunch of the Rock Band tracks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Finally! Thank you MS. I had held off on purchasing any xbox live games since I had my console replaced and had to go through the nightmare of trying to get my purchased games playable again. It may be a bit of a pain, but as long as it doesn't involve multiple calls to unintelligible support lines for long periods of time with very little effect it's a definite improvement, and a very welcome feature.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathrandir /forum/post/14167949

Finally! Thank you MS. I had held off on purchasing any xbox live games since I had my console replaced and had to go through the nightmare of trying to get my purchased games playable again. It may be a bit of a pain, but as long as it doesn't involve multiple calls to unintelligible support lines for long periods of time with very little effect it's a definite improvement, and a very welcome feature.

Amen brother...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
SO, it says that if you had your machine replaced as a repair that the licenses are already transfered and all you have to do is redownload? I had mine done a littel over a year ago. I wonder if this applies to that swap also. I will have to go home and try it out.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L /forum/post/14171259

SO, it says that if you had your machine replaced as a repair that the licenses are already transfered and all you have to do is redownload? I had mine done a littel over a year ago. I wonder if this applies to that swap also. I will have to go home and try it out.

you should be able to tell when you log onto the tool on xbox.com. Mine had 2 serials show up with various licenses on each. I think it was sometime last summer/fall that they started transferring licenses for you on returns.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay /forum/post/14171236

As long as your Xbox doesnt die within the next 12 months....

They appear to have thought of that. Hopefully their process actually matches this, as my console that was repaired a few months ago did not have the licenses transferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbox Content Transfer FAQ /forum/post/0

What happens if I transfer licenses from one console to another, and the second console needs to be repaired? Can I use the transfer tool again right away?

No, but the licenses for your content will be transferred automatically during the repair process. You may need to download the licenses again. Follow the instructions at the Console After Repair page.

After reading that, maybe my licenses really were transferred. I can't remember if I tried re-downloading XBLA games to see if they'd work offline again.

·
Registered
909 Posts
So if my cable connection goes offline for whatever reason I can play my xbox live games? Amazing.

This must have become a pretty huge issue seeing how many 360s broke.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts