AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I've been having issues with WMC in my W7 64bit machine.

I can't stand how is a pain to get subtitles in MWC, how it has issues with DVDs ripped via Handbrake, how it doesn't support some formats, etc.

Because of this I decided to give XBMC a try. I downloaded it last night and I must say I'm impressed. I like the front end and the fact that it has its own decoder. Thats a big plus for me, now I can use rip my dvds with no issues. I can now use subtitles, I can play with the picture settings within XBMC. So far I'm happy. I have not played with it much yet. So I was wondering if some of you can help me with few things:

- How can I add plugins? (step by step)

- How can I change skins?

- Is there a Netflix, Hulu, trailers plugins?

- Anything I should do to to make it as complete as possible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olisito /forum/post/18270062

I can't stand how is a pain to get subtitles in MWC, how it has issues with DVDs ripped via Handbrake, how it doesn't support some formats, etc.

Thanks!

not to derail your thread here but that statement confounds me.

I'd hate to see you give up on 7mc, becuase of problems that are easily fixed.

dont use handbrake to rip dvds unless you are compressing, and win7 contains every decoder you need, with the exception of a mkv splitter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18270087

not to derail your thread here but that statement confounds me.

I'd hate to see you give up on 7mc, becuase of problems that are easily fixed.

dont use handbrake to rip dvds unless you are compressing, and win7 contains every decoder you need, with the exception of a mkv splitter.

Unfortunately thats what I'm trying to do...

I use handbrake to compress DVDs. I have lots of DVDs and little hardrive space.

I have a 3 disk array that i back up all my stuff and the total of space I can safely back up in my array is 1TB.. without compression my movies are 1.9TB.

I need to compress them.

For the last few months I've been doing everything I can to be able to use WMC to my needs and this issue with compression is something I've been not able to fix unfortunately.

I like WMC and I want to use it, but I just ran out of options

·
Registered
25 Posts
As far as the compression issues go, you should evaluate what your time is worth. How much is each hour of your time worth? Now how many hours in total have/do you give up in order to rip, then compress each DVD, and then spend trying to get them to play on your HTPC?

Now if that value is even the slightest bit greater than $190 USD, you may be better off just buying a new 2TB drive to increase your storage. You may find that you'll be happier because you'll have more space, possibly better quality rips, and more time to spend with your family or just enjoying those nicer quality rips and working HTPC.

All that aside, definitely spend a few days browsing and searching the xbmc forums. If you still haven't found what you need, then just ask and they'll be happy to help.

Skins are easy. Just find where you installed xbmc, then go to the system\\skins folder and put the skin folder you downloaded (aeon, mediastream, etc) into it. Open xbmc and go to settings, then appearance, change skin, enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts