AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to connect my work PC to my home server with no luck. Anyone know how set it up in XBMC 13.2? I have the PC connected remotely I just need to know how to setup XBMC.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are asking but if you want to get you video files from the server onto XBMC you go into the Video -> Files menu and than "add files". Within the add files you want add a path to your server, preferably with the IP address than select the folder and identify the content.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I think that by far the easiest method is to use the mediabrowser add-on http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9144-getting-started/

Assuming you have or can install a mediabrowser server. It's honestly a top-notch metadata manager for Kodi if you want nothing else from it, but you get a fairly straightforward way of managing all your media through one external port. I use the free DDNS name (you get to choose) from my Asus router. You can enter the external address into the XBMC add-on, and it will pretty much handle the rest

If you don't need transcoding then you could fight through the VPN route

Honestly the mediabrowser option is just dead simple. It can transcode or direct stream over HTTP (configurable max bitrate). You will need to make sure your temporary transcoding path in the mediabrowser server (advanced playback settings area) is a UNC share. All of your media folders in mediabrowser's server should also be UNC shares or given a path substitution.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure exactly what you are asking but if you want to get you video files from the server onto XBMC you go into the Video -> Files menu and than "add files". Within the add files you want add a path to your server, preferably with the IP address than select the folder and identify the content.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_management
That won't work. I am trying to stream over the net from my server at home to my work PC. I am stuck as to how to connect XBMC to my server at home.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
That won't work. I am trying to stream over the net from my server at home to my work PC. I am stuck as to how to connect XBMC to my server at home.
XMBC doesn't really have a client/server setup, you'll need to setup a VPN to make the home PC look like it's local at work. You might (theoretically) be able to point it to your home's IP address, but without a VPN you'd have to open the SAMBA/CIFS ports to the world which is a really bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought that is what the "ADD NETWORK LOCATION" was for? Does this not work in Kodi?

Attachments

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I've never used that, and I'm not sure what HTTP source is for. But everything I've seen in XBMC/Kodi seems to be setup for local (LAN) sources. I don't know what you'd need for an HTTP server for that to work.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You'll need a web server that allows the user to browse the directory. You'd have to have a SSL Certificate and authentication set up, otherwise you'd open your network to anyone. And you'll have to keep the server meticulously maintained, otherwise you could accidentally open your network to anyone, including the MPAA and RIAA, who could then (theoretically) accuse you of freely providing copyrighted material.

Unless you've managed a secure web server before, I would highly, highly caution against this.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Definitely Media Browser (or Emby, or whatever they are calling it these days). It integrates nicely with Kodi (XBMC) using the Media Browser plug in.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've never used that, and I'm not sure what HTTP source is for. But everything I've seen in XBMC/Kodi seems to be setup for local (LAN) sources. I don't know what you'd need for an HTTP server for that to work.
You'll need a web server that allows the user to browse the directory. You'd have to have a SSL Certificate and authentication set up, otherwise you'd open your network to anyone. And you'll have to keep the server meticulously maintained, otherwise you could accidentally open your network to anyone, including the MPAA and RIAA, who could then (theoretically) accuse you of freely providing copyrighted material.

Unless you've managed a secure web server before, I would highly, highly caution against this.
You are better off using Media Browser. I've done Plex too, but MB seems to work better for me.
Definitely Media Browser (or Emby, or whatever they are calling it these days). It integrates nicely with Kodi (XBMC) using the Media Browser plug in.
Thanks for all the help guys.

I have an ASUS RT-AC66U wireless router and how about using the ASUS DDNS service via the routers VPN? How safe is that?

EDIT: Looks like PPTP has a bad wrap.

http://www.securitykiss.com/resources/tutorials/openvpn_pptp/index.php?lang=de

1 - 12 of 12 Posts