AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted a great HOWTO in the XBMC forums yesterday, so I thought I'd share the link here for people that don't peruse those forums --> http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44019

It's a step-by-step guide for setting up an XBMC box from the Ubuntu Minimal CD installation, complete with autostarting XBMC from boot, setting up HD audio, lirc, and suspend/resume.

Very nice work, olympia! Thank you!

Note that XBMC now has initial support for connecting to mythbackend for watching live tv and recorded programs. Also, mythfrontend (or any other program) can be launched from within the XBMC interface.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Intel 35/45 platforms also have preliminary support for 8 channel LCPM over hdmi in linux (if equipped) although not quite ready for prime time those looking to build a linux box for xbmc (or anything for that matter) may want to keep this hardware in mind

It looks like TrueHD and MTL decoding is coming from libavformat so full blu-ray rips should be able to be decoded with NO down sampling and sent lossless to your amp via hdmi in the future

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
It looks like TrueHD and MTL decoding is coming from libavformat so full blu-ray rips should be able to be decoded with NO down sampling and sent lossless to your amp via hdmi in the future

unless the BD has only the DTS-MA track...

·
Registered
36 Posts
From what I've read DTS-MA is backwards compatable, so if we can bitstream it your reciever should be able to decode DTS at least. Not that any of this is implimented though

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Also, mythfrontend (or any other program) can be launched from within the XBMC interface.

This intrigued me, I have already set up mythbuntu using XBMC as a frontend (which was not to bad) for the purpose of replacing the aging TV(dying) in the room of my two youngest daughters (ages 2 and 3&3/4's).It worked fine while I was testing and setting it up in my office but has become problematic in production. I was setting it up for now just to watch live TV (Dish DVR's output on channels 4,59,61,63 ),DVD's and VHS tapes via the composite inputs on a PVR150, The longterm plan is to migrate the DVD's/VHS Tapes to a file server.

The first snag in production was that XBMC would not connect to the local myth-backend because there was no network present (but it's local?), I was still in process of deciding (wireless(easy) vs wired) and thought I could get away with delaying it for a little while. Anyway 3 hours and some crawling/cursing/drilling/scavenging there was a nice new network outlet mounted in the wall of their room.

Snag number 2 TV playback kept stopping, Mythtv "LiveTV" is not exactly live tv, everything is recorded then the recording is played back if there is no guide data present the recordings are done in 30min intervals (10:00-10:30,10:30-11:00) and apparently some people have a problem (Me included) where the transition fails which I have read quite a bit about but no solution so far.

Snag number 3 oops the hard-drives full, this one occurred the yesterday and I have not really looked into it except to delete all the "livetv" recordings, which are supposed to be overwritten/deleted (So I've read), but did not occur mythbuntu just crashed and would not restart.

Other annoyances the dvd drive in the pc is an old(old) one and is showing it's age(dying), I have a new one on order but figured I could use the dvd drive in the dvd/vcr combo unit which works except (it stops every thirty minutes see above) and there is buffering/delay so using the dvd players remote to navigate menu's takes more patience then I have.

So back on topic (sorry needed to vent)

After I read your post I went searching, previous searches for watching livetv on XBMC had resulted in use mythtv(see above). Are you referring to this plugin http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35739 or is there another way?

Does anyone have any recommendations for an app to launch to watch tv on one channel (using the Dish remote to change channels) and watch the composite inputs on a pvr-150

I have been playing with mplayer (mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0) but ivtv-tune does not seem to be properly tuning the channels (it look like it is tuned about a half channel off but tweaking the frequency's did not give a good picture either), I not sure how to select the composite inputs,if I let myth tune the card then open /dev/video0 with mplayer it works. mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:channels=59 -vo xv tv:// fails "ioctl request buffers failed"

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colej /forum/post/15615078

...After I read your post I went searching, previous searches for watching livetv on XBMC had resulted in use mythtv(see above). Are you referring to this plugin http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35739 or is there another way?...

I was referring to this method --> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Xbox_Fron...MythTV_Support

If the backend is on the same machine, then substitute the ip address with 127.0.0.1

If you'll break off your other issues into separate threads, we'll probably be able to help you better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok I'm using the first method listed there, but the plugin looks promising, so thanks for making me redouble my search efforts.

I was using 127.0.0.1 xbmc appears to have a check for network connectivity that stops it from attempting to connect. I briefly contemplated installing a second NIC and seeing if I could trick it with a crossover cable and some ifconfig work but decided at the end of the day installing the network connection was the better solution.

Anyway the plugin looks promising, I can research/test TV apps on my own, I am not really interested in getting myth to work, I don't think it is the solution I am looking for. I am not looking for DVR which is myth's main goal, I have 2 (DISH 622(HD) and 522(SD)) so every install of myth I have done over the last 4 years or so has been looking at the myth plugins which xbmc is better at.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colej /forum/post/15616475

Ok I'm using the first method listed there, but the plugin looks promising, so thanks for making me redouble my search efforts.

I was using 127.0.0.1 xbmc appears to have a check for network connectivity that stops it from attempting to connect. I briefly contemplated installing a second NIC and seeing if I could trick it with a crossover cable and some ifconfig work but decided at the end of the day installing the network connection was the better solution.

Anyway the plugin looks promising, I can research/test TV apps on my own, I am not really interested in getting myth to work, I don't think it is the solution I am looking for. I am not looking for DVR which is myth's main goal, I have 2 (DISH 622(HD) and 522(SD)) so every install of myth I have done over the last 4 years or so has been looking at the myth plugins which xbmc is better at.

I think "localhost" works for the ip address, also. I haven't encountered the network connectivity check you mentioned as all of my boxes are connected to a network.

Unless I'm mistaken, you'll need to have mythbackend working properly in order to use a mythtv plugin in xbmc, in which case, it's easier to use the method I linked to. So, it is advisable that you tackle mythtv first -- especially if you received an MCE remote / IR blaster with your PVR-150 as this will make changing channels much easier.

The impression is that mythtv is primarily a DVR, but all I mostly do with it is watch live tv. The native support for it in xbmc is quite good and includes deinterlacing and aspect-ratio overrides.

The problems you mentioned are all solvable:

1 -- try "localhost" as mentioned above. If that doesn't work, edit /etc/hosts

2 -- you'll need a subscription to " schedules direct " ($20/yr), so your frontend will have to be networked to your backend (if it isn't local) and your backend will require internet access

3 -- you can set how much hard drive space is to be preserved (1 GB by default) and how long to wait before auto-expiring (deleting) recordings (1 or 2 days by default, can't remember)

4 -- Your dvd annoyance will disappear when you install your new drive or rip your dvds to the backend or a file server.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts