AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I opened a thread over on the XBMC/Kodi Forms requesting a vertical stretch be added. Explaining a lot of us would like that this feature to be added to XBMC. Here is a link to the thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222882. Of course some one came in and said it already had that feature in which as you can see in the thread I explained it did not work. I happen to have a 2.35:1 computer monitor to help with this lol. They acknowledge that the vertical stretch no longer worked as intended. The reason I'm posting over here is so that I can get as many people that are interested in this, to post in the thread I opened on XBMC/Kodi so they can see there is a need for this to be fixed. Thanks

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
James,

Thank you for the thread, I've been using OpenElec for a long time, but have never used that feature. That would be a great feature to have in when I put my theater room together. Currently none of the Sony 4K projectors do a vertical stretch, even with 1080P content, unless I'm mistaken. This would make an upgrade more likely for me. Does it work with live TV?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I was going to reply that it never work for Blu-Ray rips because the issue was it only looked at the video dimensions, not the file aspect ratio. The answer I always got was "you need to have properly encoded files!". :mad:

But I guess that "crop black bars" is intended to resolve that? Seems like a kludgey way to do it instead of just allowing the stretch to work on any video file.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I was going to reply that it never work for Blu-Ray rips because the issue was it only looked at the video dimensions, not the file aspect ratio. The answer I always got was "you need to have properly encoded files!". :mad:

But I guess that "crop black bars" is intended to resolve that? Seems like a kludgey way to do it instead of just allowing the stretch to work on any video file.
What do they mean by properly encoded files?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
They mean the AR should match the video dimensions, so it should be encoded to 1920x810. Explaining to them that the Blu-Ray consortium chose to encode the black bars wasn't helpful in convincing them to change it.
Essentially have to run every video through handbrake or something. That would be a mighty lengthy process if you haven't already converted them.

Another option is using a Lumagen processor, but that's quite an expense. It's something I'm considering, but when they go 4K.

·
Registered
76 Posts
James,

Thank you for the thread, I've been using OpenElec for a long time, but have never used that feature. That would be a great feature to have in when I put my theater room together. Currently none of the Sony 4K projectors do a vertical stretch, even with 1080P content, unless I'm mistaken. This would make an upgrade more likely for me. Does it work with live TV?
The Sony 4K projectors can vertically stretch 1080P with no problem. :) It's 4K that is the issue right now but should change once 4K becomes more available. Thanks for the info on OpenElec. I didn't know about them before.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Unfortunately that seems to be par for the course if functionality doesn't fall within Kodi's narrow view of how things should work.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
In the mean time, I will be interested in a Sony PJ. I also just built a HTPC using a chromebox and Kodi, do PJ's like the Sony VPLH50 vertical stretch.....

You would be interested in Kodi doing it for added versatility, or is one better than the other

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Without quality scaling this is a pointless feature to incorporate into XBMC. For those looking for this functionality, just set MPC-HC as your default player in XBMC and use MadVR to do the scaling. Both JINC and NEEDI3 scaling will be leaps and bounds better than the rest of the scaler solutions out there for vertical stretch from a PQ standpoint.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Without quality scaling this is a pointless feature to incorporate into XBMC. For those looking for this functionality, just set MPC-HC as your default player in XBMC and use MadVR to do the scaling. Both JINC and NEEDI3 scaling will be leaps and bounds better than the rest of the scaler solutions out there for vertical stretch from a PQ standpoint.
Is that windows only?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Is that windows only?
I don't know if either MPC-HC or MadVR has support for other operating systems, but what I've said still stands. Without a quality scaling solution I don't see the point in using it. So if it is added to XBMC it better be something worth using. And if you've spent all that money on an anamorphic lens you owe it to yourself to add in high quality scaling for the vertical stretch. So if using Windows instead guarantees that, you should use it.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I don't know if either MPC-HC or MadVR has support for other operating systems, but what I've said still stands. Without a quality scaling solution I don't see the point in using it. So if it is added to XBMC it better be something worth using. And if you've spent all that money on an anamorphic lens you owe it to yourself to add in high quality scaling for the vertical stretch. So if using Windows instead guarantees that, you should use it.
I agree quality is most important. For that reason I'd use a Lumagen, but I'm not going to install Windows. It's too bad there's not better open source alternatives.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I agree quality is most important. For that reason I'd use a Lumagen, but I'm not going to install Windows. It's too bad there's not better open source alternatives.
I switch between my Lumagen and MadVR. I think MadVR does a better job, but then again, I don't have issues with using an HTPC. Everything always runs smooth for me. The Lumagen's main purpose for me is to auto-calibrate my projectors.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I switch between my Lumagen and MadVR. I think MadVR does a better job, but then again, I don't have issues with using an HTPC. Everything always runs smooth for me. The Lumagen's main purpose for me is to auto-calibrate my projectors.
Thanks for the tips on the Madvr and media player classic.. Just set it all up on my 2.35:1 monitor. It's only a 29inch monitor so I can see a little difference on the picture. But it does seam to look better with the Madvr. Also media player classic does all the stretching I would need for a animorphic lens so Thanks.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the Madvr and media player classic.. Just set it all up on my 2.35:1 monitor. It's only a 29inch monitor so I can see a little difference on the picture. But it does seam to look better with the Madvr. Also media player classic does all the stretching I would need for a animorphic lens so Thanks.
Yeah, I have a 21:9 monitor too (LG 34UM95). I use MPC-HC and MadVR renderer to do all my scaling/stretching for it. Remember it's not the player that does the stretching, it's the renderer. Though I think that's what you meant. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.