AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all, I just recently started re-purposing an old Core 2 Duo ( E6850 ) pc with 4GB of DDR2 800 to be the main HTPC at my new place powering my 70 inch Sharp .  Since it's the main attraction on my wall, I'd like to make sure that the picture going to it is the best it can be (within reason).  Currently I have a GT 430 I bought for $20 after rebate back in early 2012.  It seems to do well enough with what I've thrown at it so far, but I'm curious if upgrading to a GTX 650ti I have sitting spare in another PC would bring me anything but more heat generation.

As of right now I just play Comcast cable (mpeg-2) via an HDHOMERUN Prime hooked up to a server using serverwmc as the PVR backend, along with my collection of blu ray movies, dvd seasons of tv shows, and various other media I've collected over the years (mostly MKVs, some AVI files, etc).  From what I've read, the hardest thing on these GPUs is image upscaling from lower resolutions.  Would I gain anything in terms of upscaling options/performance from swapping the GT 430 out for a GTX 650ti ?  I've been reading things regarding MadVR type setups but that seems to be a mostly windows thing.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I wouldn't waste any additional money on that hardware. Just throw together a new Intel setup once Broadwell arrives and you'll be happy. If you insist on tossing a new card in there, the GTX 750 is the way to go - though I don't know how it works with XMBC at this point - as it has a low-power video decoding mode and does not require any additional power to use in normal operations.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

After reading a bit more about my options, I think I'm going to try and use XBMC in windows with MPC-HC as an external player using some form of MADVR.  It sounds like that's the best, though from what I've seen the differences aren't huge.  That being said, when you're 13 feet  away from a 70 inch tv you'll notice everything.

I also feel as though I've been a little vague in what I'm planning.  I already have the 650ti, it (was) just sitting in a computer that already had a 7970 as I used to be a more avid WoW player, and would often play something else on my main screen (Rome 2, etc) while having WoW in windowed mode on a second monitor  (the 650ti).  I haven't had much time to play any games lately and I certainly don't play WoW as much.  For sitting on a second screen I think the intel HD 4600 will be more than enough until I close it and reopen it on the main screen.

Plus it'll be cooler for the 7970 and hopefully quieter.  I also have an OCZ vertex 64

GB SSD that I can throw in there to help boot times (yes, the original vertex, back when only OCZ and intel had consumer SSDs and they were almost $3/GB)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts