AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a picture quality difference between ripped DVDs played through XBMC on my Apple TV 2 and the DVDs in my blu-ray player. The picture from my blu-ray player is superior - I'm not going to say its overwhelming but it's enough to prompt me to post this. I was hoping for equal quality so I could put away my dvd collection without regrets. Is this PQ difference to be expected or am I doing something wrong that can be fixed?

I have a Sharp 37" LCD, a Panasonic blu-ray player and a Yamaha RXV-671 receiver. Everything's set to 720p. I used DVDFab to rip the DVDs using Full Disc and DVD9 quality. Should the quality be the same meaning I missed a key setting somewhere in the process or on one of my components?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would guess that your blu ray player is doing some enhancement/upscaling to the DVD's to improve the perceived picture quality over the streamed Apple TV playback. I'm not very familiar with the ATV, but I assume it's simply passing through the stream of the ripped disc. Sounds like you ripped 1:1 copy, so there should be nothing there causing a difference. Like I said, many blu ray players (the PS3 being a notably good one) do a great job of upscaling dvd content to HDTV's, and I suspect you are seeing the benefit of that from your disc player.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the response. Couldn't a receiver upscale the stream? I have all my components piped through my receiver with a single hdmi out to the TV. Maybe I could get a better picture from the atv by tweaking my receiver settings?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts