AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting a "new" player, that doesn't stutter/blur. I've been reading for hours but am becoming almost even more confused...if there is a summary that I haven't found I'd love to see it, if I get enough help here, I willl summarize in a chart/posting (for future generations ;-)

Currently I use my xbox360 (in Living Room) as the front end to play videos stored on my main PC in my office. The 360 feeds into my Denon AVR 886, which feeds a 48" Mitsubishi 1080i rear projection set.

I am building a home theater, in the basement, will get a 100-110" screen w/ suitable projector. That will be the easy part.

What's got me confused is the server/player....the things I hate about the 360....no mkv support, sketchy other codec support, sketchy 5.1 audio, no catalogue/jukebox...

I really don't feel the need to rip a lot of DVDs, from the basement, but would like to be able to stream from my PC or other "server", most of my videos are already on two 500Gb external drives, where I imagine keeping them...

I'm wondering about:

Pros/Cons of an old modded Xbox running XBMC

From what I found here
http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMC_Fea...nd_resolutions

it doesn't look like I will get any HD satisfaction? is that correct?

Pros/Cons of an streamer, maybe xTreamer

Pros/Cons of a dedicated Linux PC running XBMC? Other?

Pros/Cons of a dedicated Windows PC running XBMC? Other?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Original Xbox - No HD, no x.264.

Xtreamer - Minimalistic interface, loud fan, dubious reliability, sketchy manufacturer.

XBMC under Windows or Linux - Requires more configuration than a standalone player, but once it' set up you will have the best AV quality with the best UI available. Some would argue that Windows Media Center is better, but it's only a matter of preference.

There is a step between the Xtreamer and a HTPC, and that's the Popcorn Hour C200. It hasn't actually shipped yet, but it's supposed to be the best standalone streamer made. There are 3rd party UI mods for it that are not quite as nice as XBMC or MCE, but they're significantly better than the Xtreamer or similar devices.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Candre that helps, I'm going to try to get XBMC Live working on an old PC....may have a problem with the crappy old video card onboard "Intel Extreme Graphics OpenGL 1.3
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-004662.htm

and the (AGP slot hard to find cheap)...if I like it I suppose I will buy a new Mobo

Looks like Ubuntu for XBMC...

What about this
http://www.amahi.org/apps

using Fedora and Jinzora or uShare?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Western Digital HD media player v2.0 is released soon and is meant to be good for the price. The v2.0 has a network port added and from what I've read ( LINK ) supports virtually every codec currently required.

I would agree that Linux is a good basis for a file server if you have the knowledge.

There are AGP cards available such as ATI 3650 for

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been messing around with XBMC lately, and it is pretty awesome once you figure it out. Looks sweet, feels smooth. Does everything I wanted and more.

The media streamers are good, but on most of them the gui is crap and slow, which is a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have actually been messing around w/XBMC lately and am looking for a good solution now....(Infact, I have just procured an Xbox 1 for my first mod....) I DO love XBMC, I have really enjoyed setting up my menus and all the functions, but I have had a few issues...the streaming movies, from Navi X...(cool feature), drop constantly. Sometimes I have a buggy "script error, when downloading/streaming. I have not really seen any "manual" online to show the setup steps, this would be very helpful. I am running the latest build of Aeon Skin. I have not yet perused the XBMC forums...on my short list to do...

I have not streamed any of my stuff yet. My "server" is the upstairs PC, my basement PC will not load XBMC, as it is an ME machine...hence the "new" Xbox....

Very minor point, I have a "movie showtimes" plugin that shows a California zip...I have not, as of yet, found the setting that will put it in my zone...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. /forum/post/17019984

I have actually been messing around w/XBMC lately and am looking for a good solution now....(Infact, I have just procured an Xbox 1 for my first mod....) I DO love XBMC, I have really enjoyed setting up my menus and all the functions, but I have had a few issues...the streaming movies, from Navi X...(cool feature), drop constantly. Sometimes I have a buggy "script error, when downloading/streaming. I have not really seen any "manual" online to show the setup steps, this would be very helpful. I am running the latest build of Aeon Skin. I have not yet perused the XBMC forums...on my short list to do...

I have not streamed any of my stuff yet. My "server" is the upstairs PC, my basement PC will not load XBMC, as it is an ME machine...hence the "new" Xbox....

Very minor point, I have a "movie showtimes" plugin that shows a California zip...I have not, as of yet, found the setting that will put it in my zone...

Bring any questions/issues about XBMC you have to this thread and there are alot of posters who can help you out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=635294

1 - 7 of 7 Posts