AVS Forum banner

Would you return your XBone for a PS4?

  • Yes

    Votes: 10 13.7%
  • No

    Votes: 63 86.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know that this topic has been beaten into the ground. I`ve had my XBone for about 2 months, but due to a few hardware issues and returns I have a couple of weeks to still return it if I choose. I certainly like the hardware, despite the short Kinect cord not working with my PJ setup. I`m trying not to put too much stock in the sales figures coming out, but after seeing 6 million PS4 units moved despite their scarce availability it has me wondering if this console war has already been won. Sure Titanfall is coming out next week, but with the disparity in hardware sales I`ve got to think that the big exclusives in years to come are going to favor the lower priced, higher powered and more popular PS4. If you had the opportunity to return your Xbox for the PS4 at this point, would you do it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
not only would I not, but I was talking to the gal at Gamestop the other day, and she had a ps4 sitting on the counter. I asked about it, and the person before me had just returned it... for an xbox one. I asked if that was common, she said it happens more than I would think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
Definitely not. I love the whole Xbox One experience, the games, the controller. Plus Xbox Live is my preference. Given the choice to go with a software company vs a hardware company? I'll go with the software company to provide a better experience.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,583 Posts
An anecdote to counter an anecdote.


Anecdotception
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog  /t/1521262/xbone-vs-ps4#post_24446646


Definitely not. I love the whole Xbox One experience, the games, the controller. Plus Xbox Live is my preference. Given the choice to go with a software company vs a hardware company? I'll go with the software company to provide a better experience.

Both angles are required. You can't program your way around bad hardware decisions and bad hardware won't overcome poor software. Neither company are exactly setting the world on fire with their supposed strengths. Microsoft is getting it's ass handed to it regularly by Apple and Google. Sony is more hardware generic then they wish to be.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,868 Posts
Neither has bad hardware. Because one has better hardware doesn't make the other's bad. My A4 Quattro isn't an S4 but that doesn't make it bad.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pcweber111

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans  /t/1521262/xbone-vs-ps4#post_24446685


Neither has bad hardware. Because one has better hardware doesn't make the other's bad. My A4 Quattro isn't an S4 but that doesn't make it bad.

Neither has bad software either, the two need to compliment, and that's where the magic is.


I also consider the games to be the most important "software", not the OS. I don't hold a controller in my hand (or wave my arms in the air) playing the "OS".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
What matters most is price. I cannot help but think MS will adjust their price down everywhere this summer, fall at the latest. Sony as a company is having serious issues with profits. Its not likely they can drop the PS4 as fast as Microsoft (Flush with profits) can drop the One. We will see price parity and then just as the PS3 finally started selling the One will (IMHO). We are a few months into a five to eight year cycle. Not quite ready for doom and gloom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
My two cents: If you can only afford one console then yes return it for a PS4. If you can afford both over the next year or two, keep it. I have both and don't regret the decision. But, if forced to choose, I would easily take my PS4 over my Xbox One and that's coming from a guy who's been with Xbox since the launch of the original Xbox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
while Sony might have a ton of future games in the pipeline but I still wouldn't return my XBOX One. I don't even mind that I won't get the game (TitanFall) for free like the people who have better discipline and decided to wait.


In my household, the XBOX is getting a ton of use. From the wife enjoying voice commands (because we have a 3 and a 1 year old) since she always has something going on. No time for a remote. That integration is great with OTA TV and streaming (netflix/hulu/Amazon/Vudu). I cannot imagine if I didn't have it at this point. Now I can see myself getting another XBOX One actually so if anyone is on the fence and want to go PS4, I will gladly take your XBOX off your hands.


I'll get a PS4 when the games catch up and I get bored of TitanFall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
No way I would return mine. I would be more inclined to return my ps4 for a second Xbox one if I could find a reason to have one. That or just for credit to cover a bunch of games coming out for the Xbox.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone  /t/1521262/xbone-vs-ps4#post_24446814


What matters most is price. I cannot help but think MS will adjust their price down everywhere this summer, fall at the latest. Sony as a company is having serious issues with profits. Its not likely they can drop the PS4 as fast as Microsoft (Flush with profits) can drop the One. We will see price parity and then just as the PS3 finally started selling the One will (IMHO). We are a few months into a five to eight year cycle. Not quite ready for doom and gloom

huh? Microsoft is not "flush" with profits from XB1. Even if the company has successes in other areas of business that are no way related to the Xbox brand that does not permit them to be stupid in the Xbox division. We've seen the hardware breakdowns, at no point is MS going to be able to cut the price of the hardware because other completely unrelated divisions are profitable. It's possible that that the Xbox team could look at future sales and marketplace and decide to take more of a loss on the hardware, effectively subsidizing it with software attach ratio, but it won't be because Microsoft Office or Windows 8 is funding it. Microsoft is a publicly traded company with a board and investors that expect a return. If anything the association under the Microsoft umbrella is more likely to see the brand sold than it is to be irrationally bailed out.


I agree that it's too early to declare Xbox the loser, and that price is critical. The only path I see is to cut the hardware anchor (Kinect) that is keeping the console considerably more expensive or substantiate it as something that every gamer must have to warrant the extra cost. One of the two must happen or Sony is going to blow it wide open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,958 Posts
I have both and have been loving both. If I could only keep one, it would probably be the PS4 simply because the games at this point perform better graphics-wise, and with the PS4 controller much improved over the previous generations, I don't mind gaming with it nearly as much. And this is also coming from a guy who bought all multi-plat games last gen on the Xbox (my Gamerscore is somewhere around 67,000). This gen so far, the multiplats (well, the only one I have so far is AC4; I toyed with the idea of getting Thief), I bought for the PS4. But if you can afford both, definitely get both as there are some great games on the Xbox One.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Microsoft is flush with case, a pile that is growing rapidly. The Xbox is not about selling game systems to Microsoft it is about services and tie in. OneDrive subscriptions, Xbox Music subscriptions and getting their products into households. The favored term is synergy. Microsoft uses the Xbox to bring people into their ecosystem. Every hear of the OS Android? Google gives it away to bring people into their ecosystem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone  /t/1521262/xbone-vs-ps4#post_24447054


Microsoft is flush with case, a pile that is growing rapidly. The Xbox is not about selling game systems to Microsoft it is about services and tie in. OneDrive subscriptions, Xbox Music subscriptions and getting their products into households. The favored term is synergy. Microsoft uses the Xbox to bring people into their ecosystem. Every hear of the OS Android? Google gives it away to bring people into their ecosystem.

It's only valid to a point and it can only bleed till a point permissible by the board and investors. If it were merely about the ecosystem tie-in, they would have already dropped it to $399, no point in waiting 4 to 6 months if that's the inevitable end game. Why waste all that time developing "synergy". If you were right, it would have released at $399 when Microsoft already knew they were getting beat in hardware after Sony announced $399.


Google's ecosystem is a little different, they have many cloud based products. Microsoft doesn't have much of an ecosystem that is remotely successful to Google's level. Also Google gives software away, not hardware, which is what you're saying Microsoft is going to do by effectively being bailed out by other divisions within the company.


I think you're creating a fictitious point in time in the future when it makes to drop the hardware price, when the justifications you claim for doing so, would allude to a price drop already having had occurred.


e:, if what in bold is what is most important, it's all the reason for gamers to ditch the platform. I can't speak for all gamers, but I prefer the point of my gaming console and the manufacturer of said console, to be about games. Not cloud storage tie-in and music streaming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
 http://www.windowsazure.com/
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://outlook.com
http://onedrive.com
http://www.skype.com


These are services Microsoft is counting on for growth. (not my opinion, that's from the former CEO, the present CEO and investor calls dating back to 2010). These are services that they need to hook folks on before they get invested in other services. Obviously they have tied these services in to Xbox for a reason. Titanfall is using Azure (EA is paying for that, though reportedly at a nice discount), Onedrive and Skype are on the One and guess what you get when you sign up for your MS account... an account that ties into the other services.


Will it work? Nobody can say but Microsoft has invested in making it happen and given that the first thing the new CEO said was "We are a devices (Xbox) and services company" (Cloud services) we have no reason to think Xbox is going ANYWHERE. And again, they have the cold hard cash to stay invested. Microsoft is not a fly by night .com, they are a decades old business that's been making money for investors for every quarter other than the one with write-down (And not the Xbox write-down, the 6.2B aQuantive one)


As for gamers and the Xbox... I point you at Titanfall. That's a significant investment in core gamers. One Sony could have made... but did not. (Obviously EA is beholden to shareholders and went with the deal that made financial sense)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,433 Posts
Hi Davi8915, It really depends on what your focus is in owning a console. If it is for things like Skype and the NFL package then you should definitely stick with the Xbox One. The Kinect is a reasonable percentage of the costs, I believe some people have found ways to get extender cables. If you do keep the system you should look into that if you care about voice and motion controls. If your console priority is for gaming then the PS4 is the way to go as the vast majority of games look and run better on the PS4 due to significantly more powerful hardware.


IGN has a comparison chart you can check out as well. It doesn’t cover every aspect but it is a good start.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates


Exclusive games should also be factored in, be it Halo, Mario or The Last of Us. Each console has them. So you should factor in which exclusives you want. You could compare exclusives between the two systems last year to see a rough idea of what you can expect this generation.


You can always get a more than one of the three consoles as well, or all three depending on your budget.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365  /t/1521262/xbone-vs-ps4#post_24447022


huh? Microsoft is not "flush" with profits from XB1.

He didn't say it was flush with profits from XB1. He said it was flush with profits which is completely accurate. Fact is MS can afford to run losses on the division that Sony can't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts
I wouldn't return my Xbox one for a PS4

I wouldn't return my PS4 for an Xbox One


The only option is to have Both. These aren't expensive things. People spend more on Coffee, Alcohol, smokes etc then I do on gaming with all the consoles and PC.


It's about priorities, and mine is gaming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
I own both, and my Xbox One probably gets used 40+ hours per week, while the PS4 gets used roughly once per week when I check to see if there is anything worth playing (still waiting btw). It's ironic to me that the PS4 is considered the "gamer's choice" yet there are very few compelling exclusives currently available on it. I know that situation will improve over time, and both consoles will end up with a bunch of great exclusives. Right NOW, however, the best games are on the X1.


Unless finances are extremely tight (I get the impression most of us are middle-aged professionals), I see no reason not to own both platforms. PS4-only gamers will really be missing out come March 11th. Similarly, those who only own the X1 will be missing out once Uncharted 4, etc, come out on the PS4.


If we're looking at the companies themselves, Sony is in big trouble. They have already sold off their PC business, they are looking to spin off and drastically reduce their footprint in the TV market, and their phones/tablets have zero relevance in their respective markets. The PS4 is one of the only successful products left in their consumer electronics business, and I wonder if that is enough to sustain them long-term. For the good of gaming and the millions of us who own Sony consoles, I certainly hope they stick around.
 
1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top