AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
well techincally the core system is $299.

I wonder how ordering the fully loaded system works. Will there be an extra box with the HD or a box that includes everything and will those of us with preorders to to revisit the store and update them on which version we want?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Myself and some others mentioned MS has no reason to sell at $299. Not enough units and no next gen competition.

$399 is a bit higher than expected (Most though $350/$360) but the extra $50 is not a huge increase.

Of course I wonder how much a larger HD would cost...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Screw you MS. I was so hyped for this machine, but $400 was a bad move. Now they set the mark high, and you know PS3 will cost more.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Just wait for the PS3, the price will drop then. For me $400 is not much of an investment. Not after I was looking at video card upgrades last night.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am very disappointed that MS is going to fragment the market with 2 versions (1 with a HDD and 1 without).

Now developers won't be able to count on a HDD present for caching levels to create huge seamless environments. . .

Bummer :(

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobHT
I am very disappointed that MS is going to fragment the market with 2 versions (1 with a HDD and 1 without).

Now developers won't be able to count on a HDD present for caching levels to create huge seamless environments. . .

With the extra processors and such does it actually require an HDD to cache to for large levels? Can't it preload them to memory? I had heard that very few games actually took advantage of this on the original Xbox.

Since games won't be reliant on the HDD I don't see the market being fragmented as the HDD is now more like a super-duper memory card.

Honestly at $30 a pop for PS2 memory cards last time around, an HDD for $100 is a bargain.

Quote:
Screw you MS. I was so hyped for this machine, but $400 was a bad move.
I think like Frank said, there's no competition right now. Get as much as you can for the hardware since they will probably still be losing money even at $399 but I'm sure by the time PS3 arrives you will see at least a $100 price drop.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobHT

I agree but it has been rumored that HD 360s will still be able to stream while those without will just have more loads.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The price isn't the problem, it's the separation of the hard drive. Now we can be sure that the hard drive will just be for game saves and media capabilities. I think Microsoft just gave the industry to Sony. Now almost all games will not take advantage of the hard drive since it will not be there in most cases. And now Sony sees this and can add a standard hard drive, which is much more impotant than Blue ray. So I'm definitely not buying one now. I am going to wait and see if Sony includes one with a HDD, which is necessary for today's games. I don't mind the higher price, but the HDD should be standard, not an option, or it will not be used. I don't understand how these guys don't know that options never suceed in the console market. The only hope I can see is a free year of LIVE service with the $400 package making it hard to pass up as a better value. Otherwise, you know which version most people will buy. I have been an xbox fan since the beginning, but I think this is the end. It's normal, the hot console never stays with one manufacturer, it moves around. I think Sony coming in late is going to have advantages now that Microsoft has just shown all their cards.

Also, having a detachable hard drive also means that the 360 will be easier to hack, I hear the mod community has ways to cheat now on xbox live with Halo2. I heard the other night of a pistol that shoots sniper rifle rounds. Anybody seen this?

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
 http://www.majornelson.com/

Just look at all that you get with the system. I agree with Shahram, the price should not be an issue.

I personally would rather that be the only model but if the developers can program the game to stream or to cache then it might not really be such a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)

•Xbox 360 console

•Wired controller

•Detachable faceplate

•Xbox Live Silver membership

•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)

•Xbox 360 console

•20GB detachable hard drive

•Wireless controller

•Wireless Xbox Live headset

•High-definition AV cables

•Ethernet cable

•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)

•Detachable faceplate

•Xbox Live Silver membership

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)

• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)

• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)

• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)

• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)

• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)

• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)

• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)

• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

You guys are kidding right? I can understand if you have the money to pay for it (I do as well) but you have to see that this is NOT a good value. $100 for a seagate 20 gig HD? $40 component cables (they're the skinny rincky dink ones!!!) Wireless adapter $100??? I could go on, but there's no arguing that these prices are much higher than most expected. I've been foaming at the mouth for the 360 (as most HT enthusiasts have) but MS made a big mistake. They already have the argument against them that the'yre jumping the gun, then they have a less than impressive E3 showing, and now they're price gounging. And for those of us who want the PS3 as well, MS just gave them the nod to sell a $500 PS3. It will still be a better value cause it has a BR player...

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
forget the component cables for $40(monster sells them at this price all the time)

controller - $49.99!!! are you kidding me? $25 is about the max I would pay

memory unit - $39.99...that is just insane. These guys have no business selling memory cards for more than 19.99.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S
forget the component cables for $40(monster sells them at this price all the time)

You must not have seen the MS component cables. I've got dental floss thicker...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsguy
• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)

• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)

• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)

• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)

• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)

• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)

• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)

• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)

• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
Bloody OUCH!!

Can't wait to see the CAD price on this stuff :eek:

·
Registered
876 Posts
The fact that they're not including the HD, wireless controller, or the Xbox Live Silver service in the core package is pretty much disgraceful. I can see the HD being optional, but after hyping the wireless aspects of the console/controller and the fact that the XBL Silver service would be available to all, to not include them now is pretty crummy.

I'm now officially not picking up one of these units at launch. Especially since it's almost guaranteed that they'll drop the price by at least $50 when the PS3 is released in the US.

They've screwed themselves with this caper methinks.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
originally posted by Dean Martin:

I personally would rather that be the only model but if the developers can program the game to stream or to cache then it might not really be such a bad thing.
Sure, developers can do this, but the question is will they?

Devs are already moaning about the difficulty of coding for multi-core CPUs. Don't count on them to go out of their way to accomidate multiple versions of a console.

The main advantage of consoles over a PC is that they are a closed platform. The more versions of a console that you offer, the more you water down your main advantage.

As far as the pricing goes, I think MS may be pricing a little higher because they know they will surely sell all the consoles they can manufacture in the short term. Combine that with the fact that Sony has indicated a higher price point .

1 - 20 of 375 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.