AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We have been looking to get a media streamer set up with our HD TV in our living room to stream movies from our computer upstairs, as well as to watch on demand movies from Netflix. My first thought was either the ViewSonic NexTV VMP75 or the Western Digital WD TV Live Plus based on some positive reviews I read. I then was considering the Logitech Revue with Google TV but was disappointed with the reviews it was receiving. I then stumbled upon the article on AfterDawn "Stream Multimedia to Xbox 360 with TVersity".

Since we just bought a Kinect for the TV down there, I thought this might be a viable solution since we would kill 2 birds with one stone. Any ideas on this and whether it is a good idea or not? Thanks for all of your help in advance!

·
Registered
432 Posts
The biggest issue I see is noise. We've had the first and second generation 360 and both are too loud to have running while watching a movie IMO. I don't know about the newest generation but I've heard they still make a lot of noise.

A lot of the noise is a the screaming DVD drive they use, maybe for streaming it would be tolerable. If you are planning to connect it anyway, there is certainly no harm in trying.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Another thing to look out for is putting it deep in an entertainment cabinet. The 360's need to be well ventilated. Especially if it's an older model. The newer models are better but still not that great dealing with heat. If you're going to have it on a lot, it better be in a WELL VENTILATED position because they are well known for it.

just FYI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it would be mainly for streaming and occasional gaming, I don't really see when the drive would come in to play.

Also I am not sure how to explain it but the TV sits on a glass shelf sort of thing with 2 shelves below it with the cable box and audio receiver that are well ventilated in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
noise only really comes into play when you're using the DVD drive. then again, I didn't get a 360 until the Jasper model came out. but it's pretty quiet when not using the drive.

but the new 360-S models are quieter still. and monsterenergy22 has that model.

TVersity is great and it's getting better. Can you link me to that guide?

I experimented with TVersity and liked the experience. But from what I remember about the process, you can't have Windows sharing and TVersity at the same time. You either went with Windows 7's sharing process or TVersity's process. I need WMC as a media center extender and have access to my PC for its DVR features and for its media sharing features. So I didn't want to mess that up with TVersity.

So I still keep my 360 setup entirely set up for Windows 7 homegroups and sharing. And use a WD TV for my other stuff.

as for ventilation, the 360 requires far less ventilation than my monstrous Onkyo receiver which throws off tons of heat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your PM's onlysublime.

Well if TVersity seems to do the job fairly well, it seems like I am leaning towards that. The main thing is for instant Netflix, and the occasional video streaming.

Does the 360 support Youtube or Hulu or any of those types of sites?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts