AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both an XBox360 and a Dell XPS 410 running MCE. I have tried numerous times to connect them. I follow all the directions on the Xbox and then go to the MCE machine and download and run the software, but it still will not see the XBox 360 as an extender.

When I run WMP I can stream MP3s to the XBox so I know there is connectivity.

I have tried opening ports in my firewall and even have tried shutting it off (McAfee) both with no success.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is your Xbox and computer on the same network, both on wireless or both on hard wire. I know linksys wireless routers have a setting where it can isolate its wireless connecitons so they can't talk to anything else on the network. Also can you ping your xbox from your pc you might want to check to see if you even have basic connectivity within your network before you try to troubleshoot the MCE conneciton becuase it might be more basic of a issue.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I'd suggest, if you haven't yet, you download Windows Mediaplayer 11......and do its "share" feature for media from within the LIBRARY tab.

That should find the 360 on your LAN as an available device to share to. If Windows Firewall is enabled, you need to change some settings on that as well. In the short term, try shutting off the Windows Firewall to see if that will open things up for you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both systems are hardwired and on the same network.

I have tried openign the ports on my firewall as well as completely shutting it off. Neither worked.

I am currently using WMP to stream MP3s. I would like to use the MCE Extender instead. Wouldn't the MCE extender give me more functinality especially with live and recorded TV shows on my MCE?

I can reach the computer from my xbox because I can stream mp3s with WMP. Also there is a ReplayTV right next to my Xbox360 on the same workgroup switch as my XBox 360 which talks to all my other ReplayTVs and to my DVArchive on my Dell. All systems can reach the internet fine. Because of all this, I do not believe there is a network level problem.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Make sure you have fast user switching enabled:

1.. Click the Start button on your Desktop

2.. Click Control Panel

3.. Click Administrative Tools

4.. Click Services

5.. Scroll down to Fast User Switching

6.. Right click on it, and select Properties

7.. If it is not set to Automatic start, change the startup type to

Automatic

8.. If the service is not started, click Start

9.. Close the Services window, and any windows opened while using it

10.. Click the back button on the top left of the screen

11.. Select User Accounts

12.. Select Change the way users log on and off

13.. Ensure Fast User Switching is enabled

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have downloaded and installed "Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 - Update Rollup 2". It still did not work. I am not at home right now. I will check later to see if .Net is installed.

Does it say in the instructions that .Net is needed?

I am 95% sure that UPnP is enabled on the router. I will also check that later.

I may actually have fast switching off. I will Check that tonight.

My windows firewall is disabled. I followed the directions on the XBox site to enable the ports on my McAfee firewall. When that did not work I actually disabled both firewalls. Still no connection.

·
Registered
674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kennedy /forum/post/0

I have downloaded and installed "Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 - Update Rollup 2". It still did not work. I am not at home right now. I will check later to see if .Net is installed.

Does it say in the instructions that .Net is needed?

Yes. My guess is you have it tho and just need to enable some services.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I will try all those suggestions tonight and hopefully post on my success tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one that had some trouble getting this connected.

Is there anything aditionaly I need to try on the XBox360. It almost seems that my MCE can't find the extender...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Checked my firewall settings AGAIN last night. All services that MS says are needed are allowed.

I had .Net 1.1 - installed .Net 2.0

Fast User Switching is/was enabled

Uninstalled and reinstalled Media Center Extender.

Still it cannot see my XBox360

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I had the same problem. Unfortunately, even though I just set it up last week, I can't remember what I did to get it working. I'll check my settings when I get home to see if something rings a bell.

Out of curiousity, after applying the settings, did you restart/reboot your router? I know that was something I was missing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok tried all of the responses and followed the whole process from the link above... Still no joy! My computer cannot find teh Xbox with the firewall on or disabled.

Any more suggestions?

I did look on my properties and the OS Version says MCE 2002, not 2005.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.