AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an xbox 360 premium with a Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000 which is capable of 1080p. Can i ever play my xbox in 1080p with the hd component cables it came with? Would i need to get te VGA cables? will those support 1080p?

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Xbox will output 1080p over component, it is up to your tv to display it. I don't think the Sony will but a quick search will net you the correct answer.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your TV has to be able to do more than just display 1080p, it has to be able to accept a 1080p signal over the component connection. There are even a lot of 1080p TV's that don't accept a 1080p signal period, not over component, not over HDMI, not over anything.

Technically though your TV will "upconvert" the Xbox 1080i signal and display it as 1080p. But if your TV accepts a 1080p signal over the component connections then you could let the 360 upconvert and send 1080p directly to the TV. Would just have to see which one does a better job upconverting, the TV or the Xbox.

·
Registered
21,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklk132 /forum/post/0

I have an xbox 360 premium with a Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000 which is capable of 1080p. Can i ever play my xbox in 1080p with the hd component cables it came with? Would i need to get te VGA cables? will those support 1080p?

The only reason you would need a VGA cable is for 1080p Video and upconverting of DVDs. All gaming can be 1080p via component.
that is if you TV accepts it....

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like the look of the KDS-60A2000, but the issues above make me hold off a decision. Even the 720p over VGA seems to have limitations - it appears that the image has a wide black border wasting screen space.

Now if the Xbox 360 were to grow an HDMI cable, then I'd be

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Samsung DLPs do 1080p over component and VGA. I would comment on it further but I probably won't be getting my HLS6187W for a while yet since it's been on backorder forever.

However, from what I've heard you won't see a huge difference in running over component in 1080i vs. 1080p. I have heard a lot of people say that VGA in 1080p looks really nice though. Plus, as someone else mentioned, you get upconverted DVDs with VGA.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tried to set my 360 to output 1080p and it came up all distorted.

Strange.

Anyone with a JVC lcos 1080p tv that has this working?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete /forum/post/0

Tried to set my 360 to output 1080p and it came up all distorted.

Strange.

Anyone with a JVC lcos 1080p tv that has this working?

You're not going to get it to work at 1080p with this series. None of them are equipped to handle 1080p via component or VGA inputs. Until and if Microsoft, or someone else releases an HDMI adapter for the 360, you're not going to be able to get a 1080p signal from the XBox to the current gen. 1080p JVC D-ILA's.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenS7TT /forum/post/15628753

I have a Toshiba 42RV535U LCD HDTV. I only have the old Xbox 360 though with no HDMI. Is component my only option? Should I get the Xbox 360 HDMI Conversion Kit?

Stick with component until you get your next Xbox 360. Don't waste your money on any conversion junk.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
SaleenS7TT: I brought one of those conversion kits for $99. The graphics are alittle sharper, darker in dark areas, and brighter in bright areas. The only problem was when you start the xbox up, the screen will glitch for about 30sec. On and off. I guess it was doing the converting everytime I turned on the xbox. After that it was fine. I'm on VGA now b/c I couldn't stand it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know, dudes... but my understanding of the situation is this:

Xboxes manufactured before the addition of an HDMI slot cannot display 1080p, no matter what cables you're using. I also understand that component cables cannot carry a 1080p signal. This is the advantage of HDMI, it can carry the 1080p signal and also the convenience of merging three cables into one. If you have a 720p television, there is no benefit to using HDMI... other than to tidy up your cables.

Now, this does raise an important question... at what resolution are the games supposed to display? My answer to that one, though I am not certain it is right, is this: The older games display only 720p, they were produced before the 360 was capable of sending the 1080p signal, thus it would have made no sense for them to display anything other than 720p. If you play these games on a 1080p television set, it will be scaled to 1080p, not true, native 1080p. Newer games should (once again, I'm not 100% certain this is accurate) be native 1080p.

·
Registered
400 Posts
No, all Xbox 360's are capable of outputting 1080P over component (for games). It was a simple dashboard update that allowed this. The first Xbox 360 that was purchased can do 1080p. Most consumer televisions didn't accept 1080p over component though.....and this is probably what caused the most confusion. Also add in that Movies are not allowed to be outputted at 1080p over component connections (DVD limited to 480p by rules, not hardware and HD DVD limited to 1080i...again by rules, not hardware).

You can also you the VGA cable adapter and output 1080p from all Xbox 360s, and Movies are allowed to be outputted at 1080p over this connection so now DVD's could be upscaled to 1080p.

Component is easily able to carry a 1080P signal. HDMI was primarily invented to limit the consumers ability to copy a full digital hi-def signal by including copy protection (HDCP) that the movie studios were pretty much demanding.

To answer your question....games will display at what ever resolution you have your Xbox 360 set to output in combination of whatever your TV is able to display. The 360 uses a hardware scaler to scale the resolution to what your output setting is configured. If you use HDMI, it should read the display's "allowed" settings and give you the best one it finds.

Games can be whatever. What the game internally renders it's display at and what the 360 outputs can be completely different. The majority of games are sub 720p to 720p. A few are 1080p. The major limit on both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 is available ram in the system. It takes a lot of memory to hold and manipulate a 1080p image.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So according to what you are saying, there is not really an advantage to using a 1080p television with the Xbox 360? I did read elsewhere in this forum, though, that component cables could not carry a 1080p signal... It's pretty hard to decipher what is true and what is not with so many people posting information. At the time, that made sense.

I'm in the market for an HDTV to use almost exclusively with my 360. So, according my my needs, it would make sense to just buy a 720p TV? I won't be watching any HD programming, and I don't think there is a lot that broadcasts in 1080p anyway. I won't be owning a BluRay player any time soon; the only things I will be doing in HD are playing my games, using Netflix, and streaming stuff from my PC with Media Center. In this situation it would make sense to buy a 720p television, especially considering the size of the TV (37''-42''), also considering that an image scaled up to 1080p would not be as accurate as a 720p image displayed on a 720p TV. Is this correct?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Of course there is an advantage....depending on how large a screen you have. The 360 can scale everything (game wise) to 1080p for those games that aren't native 1080p, and then of course output 1080p rendered games directly to your TV's native resolution. Of course a 1080p TV is going to scale everything to that anyway.....so it's a matter of what is better, the 360's scaler or the TV's scaler.

Component can carry 1080p just fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.