AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My xbox 360 is around 1.5 years old. Treated well for the most part. I keep it cool and decently clean.. The problem is that for the last month or so my dvd drive doesn't want to load up games all the time.. It may take me 5 or 10 times of poping the disc in and out to get it to load. Once the game has loaded if I leave it in and leave the 360 on it will load the game no problem even if I go back to the play an arcade game or whatever..

Here is what has me totally confused.. I have a copy of the last remnant and it would not load up at all.. I'm talking 20 min of popping this sob in and out of my 360.. So finally I take the game out and give the area above the dvd drive a few taps with my knuckles.. Pop LR back in and BAM it works for the first time. Now after I did the knuckle thing my dvd drive made a different noise instead of a wierd kinda UUURRT (which means it's not going to load) noise it was smooth sounding and LR loaded up within seconds..

Any clues? Any idea's?

thanks

If it comes down to it I won't hesitate to pimp smack my 360 so I can play games. =)

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
it's the magnetic top piece inside the dvd drive that holds the disc in place. it's not making 100% contact, but i'd wager that hitting it helped it along a little.

my drive was doing the same thing, removing the dvd cover and manually putting the magnet on worked 100% of the time, i modified the inside of the drive a little, and it's been flawless since.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how much will microsoft charge me to fix this?

thanks for the help btw

·
Registered
349 Posts
Had an arcade console that replaced my launch console that was doing the exact same thing. Gave my oldest son the launch and picked up the arcade in June/July(also it has HDMI). Had the arcade console replaced last weekend at BB because it quit reading disks too. Word to the wise, send it in now, my launch console started scratching disks shortly afterwords. I went through 3 COD4 disks, a GOW, GH3, and RB62 because I waited too long to send it in.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not scratching any disks.. It won't even really load anything now.. So if this xbox red rings and I send it in will they send it back red ring free but with drive problems still?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most likely not because they'll give you a different shell. When mine red ringed, I got a different one back, which then got the DVD reading issue. It took some "I need to speak to your manager.." but I explained that if it was the same one they sent back, I would almost understand them wanting to charge for this issue, but since they sent me a refurbished one with its own problems which crapped out within a year, they can fix it. That was my logic anyway...

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
If you don't care about the craptacular "warranty" sticker, you can fix a bad drive in minutes.

The problem is likely one of two things...either Super-Glue the magnet or replace the laser. The former is free (who doesn't have some SG lying around?) and the latter costs a measly $10 online. If you have a recently refurbed unit from M$, simply kill it off with a towel and let them replace it free...as they should.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a new unit on the way here.. I don't have a problem opening up my gimped xbox 360 but with a new 360 arriving in a day or so do you think my best bet is to send this "rrod"/messed up dvd drive 360 back to ms?

I think it's finished.. I can't get it to load any of my games now.. I can hear it start to spin then I hear a click followed by a ERRT.. I have a Benq Lite ON drive.. I just wanted to play a little [email protected] . It won't read movies either.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Received new 360 in mail today from dell.. Appears to be a jasper.. Now watch me get a rrod with this one =)

·
Banned
9,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrheretic /forum/post/15607015

Received new 360 in mail today from dell.. Appears to be a jasper.. Now watch me get a rrod with this one =)

Unfortunately, it's not a question of if, but when.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts