AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been beat to death. I am just looking for a simple answer to a simple question.

If I rip a dvd into vob files (using dvdshrink, dvdfab), my 360 won't be able to play those files when used as an extender.

If I rip the dvd into one VOB file (unchecking the "split vob into 1 gig chunks" option) and rename the extention "MPG" will this work?

I don't want to transcode, reauthor, edit, recode, use tversity, handbrake, use mkv, H2.6.4. etc. I have about 600 dvds and don't want to spend hours converting video files.

Will this work?

thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With MPG you'll may issues pausing, fast forwarding and rewinding. You can use VideoRedo and convert them to dvr-ms? It's quick because it's not transcoding, just changing the container.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryV /forum/post/18162848

With MPG you'll may issues pausing, fast forwarding and rewinding. You can use VideoRedo and convert them to dvr-ms? It's quick because it's not transcoding, just changing the container.

vob2mpg is better, as in free, its only about 3-4 mins per movie.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Just renaming vob to mpg doesn't work very well because the time header is all screwed up. Try VOB2MPEG freeware, just point it at your vob rips and in about 5 minutes, it will create a single mpeg file from your vob folder. The file will have a proper time header and will play on any software or hardware player that supports mpeg2 (ie all of them). I have been doing this for years because my ancient Linkplayer2 HD media player will not handle vobs or isos but loves mpeg2.

BB

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked at the site for vob2mpg, looks great. Doesn't change the quality at all it seems.

Mymovies 3 will recognize and tag these mpg's? Should I have MM3 tag them as vob's before I convert them?

I will have ff/rw/pause capability?

xbox 360 as an extender will play these?

Will it keep all the surround sound options ac3/dts?

Any known issues with vob2 mpg?

Thanks guys, this turns out to be good news so far. I have been racking my brains out.

P.S.- Do you use vob mode or ifo mode?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It is freeware. Just try it on a few folders and answer all of your questions.

BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts