AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
Id read but its blocked from my job.. copy and paste?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/17018888


Id read but its blocked from my job.. copy and paste?

Here you go my good man


August 17, 2009 - If your Xbox 360 hasn't broken down yet or suffered from the dreaded red ring of death, then consider yourself pretty lucky.


A new survey published in Game Informer's print edition indicates the Xbox 360 failure rate has climbed to a shocking 54.2%. The magazine surveyed nearly 5000 readers, asking them about their experience dealing with broken consoles.


Here are their findings:

Console failure rate


Xbox 360 - 54.2%

Playstation 3 - 10.6%

Wii - 6.8%

Percentage of console owners who suffered a second hardware failure after the original repair.


Xbox 360 - 41.2%

Playstation 3 - 14.7%

Wii - 11%

Percentage of people who rate their customer service experience "very helpful"


Nintendo - 56.1%

Sony - 51.1%

Microsoft - 37.7%

Percentage of respondents whose friends have had console hardware failures.


Xbox 360 - 69.9%

Playstation 3 - 12.4%

Wii - 6%
The magazine also makes a few notes about their results:


The reason the Wii has the lowest hardware failure rate could be because console is played the least of the three. 41.4% of Wii owners surveyed said they play the console less than one hour a day, meanwhile the majority of Xbox 360 (40.3%) and Playstation 3 (37%) owners say they play their console on an average of three to five hours day.


Also, only 3.8% of respondents said they'd never buy another Xbox system because of the failure rates.


How have your experiences been?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/17018902


Here you go my good man


August 17, 2009 - If your Xbox 360 hasn't broken down yet or suffered from the dreaded red ring of death, then consider yourself pretty lucky.


A new survey published in Game Informer's print edition indicates the Xbox 360 failure rate has climbed to a shocking 54.2%. The magazine surveyed nearly 5000 readers, asking them about their experience dealing with broken consoles.


Here are their findings:

Console failure rate


Xbox 360 - 54.2%

Playstation 3 - 10.6%

Wii - 6.8%

Percentage of console owners who suffered a second hardware failure after the original repair.


Xbox 360 - 41.2%

Playstation 3 - 14.7%

Wii - 11%

Percentage of people who rate their customer service experience "very helpful"


Nintendo - 56.1%

Sony - 51.1%

Microsoft - 37.7%

Percentage of respondents whose friends have had console hardware failures.


Xbox 360 - 69.9%

Playstation 3 - 12.4%

Wii - 6%
The magazine also makes a few notes about their results:


The reason the Wii has the lowest hardware failure rate could be because console is played the least of the three. 41.4% of Wii owners surveyed said they play the console less than one hour a day, meanwhile the majority of Xbox 360 (40.3%) and Playstation 3 (37%) owners say they play their console on an average of three to five hours day.


Also, only 3.8% of respondents said they'd never buy another Xbox system because of the failure rates.


How have your experiences been?


Troll
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
I wouldnt say he's trolling. Although you could question what importance the article has in currently. As its addressing a problem that has already been addressed by the manufacter.


Im a diehard 360 fan and I've had 3 RRoD's myself. That said they were all 1st or 2nd year models which was very prone to failure. It wasnt a pleasant experience, but everytime I had a free replacement unit in less than 10 days and was able to continue playing without much distraction.


Im surprised the article didnt go on to say the numerous fixes MS has employed, the 3 year warranty, the $1 billion write off to address the problem and that the current crop of Jasper laden 360's are as reliable as any other console.


My problem with the article is: If your going to tell a story.. tell the whole story, not just the first half of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
Another interesting tidbit on this "study" from Engadget:

That said, there are some problems with this survey; as far as we can tell there was no verification made that respondents actually own the consoles that they indicated they did, and we all know how people like having fun at Microsoft's expense. Also, the survey was naturally only of readers of the magazine itself, who don't necessarily line up with the gaming world at large..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/17019283


Another interesting tidbit on this "study" from Engadget:

That said, there are some problems with this survey; as far as we can tell there was no verification made that respondents actually own the consoles that they indicated they did, and we all know how people like having fun at Microsoft's expense. Also, the survey was naturally only of readers of the magazine itself, who don't necessarily line up with the gaming world at large..

The joyous validity (or lack thereof) in regards to "surveys".


It'd be interesting to see how those failure rates stack up to hours utilized. As shown on "Mythbusters", you could say that a lightbulb will fail within 2 months of use - but that's only if it's turned off and on every 2 minutes for 60 days straight. If it's utilized normally, then it should last 5 years.


Regardless, I'm on #5 of my Xbox's, and I'll keep replacing them.



-JR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Hopefully MS learned their lesson and the next xbox wont have red lights flash when something breaks.



54% of people have had breakdowns and 69% of their friends have??? How does that make sense?



i also dont se whay the customer service is rated so low? No other company in history has handled a hardware problem as well as MS did thihs one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
I believe the stats in the article. I'm on my third 360, this first RRD, and the second had a bad DVD drive. I'm unusual because I only average 1-2 hours per week on my 360. However, I love my 360 so I didn't have a problem replacing. I also buy at Costco, quick replacement!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211 /forum/post/17020365


54% of people have had breakdowns and 69% of their friends have??? How does that make sense?

I'd interpret that to the power of hearsay. Actual users report a particular failure percentage, but people believe a much higher % just based on the stories of friends.


What's really amazing is the low dissatisfaction %. That would probably be much higher without the three year warranty. But it's a testament to the great gaming experience on the 360 that people are still happy even after a breakdown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,314 Posts
2 RRODs here.


Xbox premium ( day one release) lasted 11 months


Replacement lasted 3 weeks : scratched discs . Microsoft accused me of moving the console while discs were playing. I pointed out I was 35 not 11.


Replacement 2 lasted until last month then RROD.


Fixed it myself with aan Xclamp replacement kit from ebay.


Running fine now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Doesn't really matter if the past consoles had a 1% or 100% faliure rate, they are beyond the point where the cooling is not sufficient for the tech, IMO. Also, people keep buying them, on a more consistent basis than any other console.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/17022197


I'd interpret that to the power of hearsay. Actual users report a particular failure percentage, but people believe a much higher % just based on the stories of friends.


What's really amazing is the low dissatisfaction %. That would probably be much higher without the three year warranty. But it's a testament to the great gaming experience on the 360 that people are still happy even after a breakdown.

willing to back a product and customer service are 2 very different things. I spent hours and hours over a 2 week period with customer service getting kicked from person to person and when i asked for a manager the guy said no and refused to transfer me.. that is not good service...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/17019342


Ogre

Orc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Hmmm, 2 RROD's and PS3 hasn't broken... seems like you could say something from that statement along... BUT bought my first 360 over 18 months before the PS3 and the 360 gets at least 95% of my families play time. (which includes our Blu-Ray time)


For example we own 35 game titles and 34 of them for the 360.


So how would I have been able to explain that in a survey? If my PS3 is just sitting there idle it will no doubt last longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,339 Posts
Both my 360 and my PS3 died. My original 360 got the RROD. And my PS3's blu-ray drive died. At least MS took care of the RROD for me. Sony charged me $150 for the blu-ray drive replacement.


But I wouldn't put much stock in that poll. It doesn't appear to have been a terribly scientific one.
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top