AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi community

I need some help on HD DVD playback . . .

When i try playback a HD DVD like KK or CSI:NY on my HTPC i get a scrappy image on the screen

Audio output via SPDIF is perfect, playback is running smooth, only a scrappy image on the screen . . .

It looks like a scrambled image with interchanged image lines

Playback of SD DVDs is running without any problems

my config:

Dothan P-M 780 ES @2.7GHz

1GB Dual Channel

Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis PRO Ultimate

ATI Catalyst 7.1

ATI HDTV Dongle

[email protected] via YUV to the LCD

XBOX 360 Drive

PowerDVD 7.1

Any hints ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I would first suggest getting at least an nVidia 7600GT and enable hardware acceleration. You might also need to update your CPU to a dual core.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmmmh, in this case i dont think so:

Playback of TS files with 1080i-DD5.1 encoding is running smooth on this machine with this configuration . . .

Only playback of HD DVDs show only green scrambled lines

any hints ?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I still say try a friend's nVidia 7600GT. According to Cyberlink's requirements, you need:

Display Devices

* HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compliant display for digital output

* TV or computer monitor for analog output (VGA or Component)

Graphics Card

* nVidia: GeForce 6600 GT, GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7800 GTX 512, GeForce 7900 GX2, GeForce 7900 GTX, GeForce 7950 GX2

* ATI: X1600 series, X1800 series, X1900 series

* Video RAM: Graphics card memory requires 256 MB or above

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have the same problem on both my systems, one with a Radeon 9700 PRO and the other with a Radeon X800 XT. It's probably because the pre X1600 Radeons are missing something (I don't know about the 1300 because Cyberlink Recommends a 1600). I have ordered a X1950 PRO.

I have a Core 2 Duo E6400 and 1 GB of RAM so my system is not the cause. It's the video card.

Here's a picture of what it looks like on my screen:

·
Registered
703 Posts
I didnt' think that your CPU, or your video card, would pass the test...and that PowerDVD 7.1 would give an error when starting with your config. Also, playing Mpeg2 files, even 1080i, don't come close to the processing power needed for VC-1.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahustvedt /forum/post/0

Here's a picture of what it looks like on my screen:

Wow, this is exactly my problem

So i think i have to change the video card too . . .

What do you recommend the purcase ?

Is should be a AGP card . . .

Thanks and best regards

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The name on the shop where I bought it is "PowerColor Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, EXTREME Edition, ViVo/HDCP". However, it's not HDCP compliant even though it says so. I didn't find out until I got it and tested. It's not a problem for me as I use a RGBHV cable anyway and not DVI-D.

Here's a link to the card on the Powercolor website: http://www.powercolor.com/global/mai...ail.asp?id=134

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.