AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...date-5-07.aspx

Went live last night, dont know if you guys knew about it.

Heres the breakdown.

HD DVD Auto Update

If you have an Xbox 360 HD DVD player, you'll be prompted for an auto update the next time you watch an HD DVD movie (and your are signed into Xbox Live.)

Here are some improvements you'll notice after the update:

Added option for user to select from the following audio output formats via TOSLINK or HDMI:

o Digital Stereo (2 channel PCM)

o Dolby Digital 5.1

o DTS 5.1

o WMA Pro

Added "Dynamic Range Control" toggle for digital audio output

Improved HD DVD networking support

Improved HD DVD title compatibility

Improved performance with MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

1080p via HDMI is supported on the Xbox 360 Elite with HDCP compliant displays

Improved parental controls

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
This is a fantastic update. Kudos to Microsoft for their hard work!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, this is great news.

I read about it just a few minutes ago on kotaku.com

I'm going to try it out in another couple of minutes.

I'm very excited about the output to DTS. My receiver doesn't do anything but DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 since it's a few years old and I refuse to upgrade considering the price of my home theater altogether was around $2,000 and it still sounds excellent.

I never understood why there was no DTS in HD-DVD anyway. Why does HD-DVD rely so heavily on DD 5.1 when DTS 5.1 is clearly better? I don't get it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got the update this morning. DVE works fine now, but Relentless Enemies still can't be read
I am upset now, because it's far to late to return the movie. Any thoughts Chris or Amir? Has MS tested this movie with the new update? I am wondering if I actually recieved a defective disc, or if it's a problem with the HD-DVD add on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Call me an idiot but I've updated and can't find any way to output any HD-DVD in DTS like we're supposed to be able to do.

If I go to console settings and then audio I've got Stereo / Dolby Digital / and WMA Pro options, sure, but no DTS one.

I'm upset. What am I missing? I've got my 360 playing via Monster Component video to my 1080p tv (yes, playing in 1080p too) and the optical digital audio cable to my receiver.

If someone can figure out what's wrong and why I can't get the DTS output option, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantyr /forum/post/0

when you see a hd-dvd movie press RB and a info comes up...

Thanks...

I never used my controller for playback but always my media remotes.

I suppose it was too much trouble for MS to put the DTS option in the dashboard. Maybe they will with the next update.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0friends /forum/post/0

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...date-5-07.aspx

Went live last night, dont know if you guys knew about it.

Heres the breakdown.

HD DVD Auto Update

If you have an Xbox 360 HD DVD player, you'll be prompted for an auto update the next time you watch an HD DVD movie (and your are signed into Xbox Live.)

Here are some improvements you'll notice after the update:

Added option for user to select from the following audio output formats via TOSLINK or HDMI:
o Digital Stereo (2 channel PCM)

o Dolby Digital 5.1

o DTS 5.1

o WMA Pro

Added "Dynamic Range Control" toggle for digital audio output

Improved HD DVD networking support

Improved HD DVD title compatibility

Improved performance with MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

1080p via HDMI is supported on the Xbox 360 Elite with HDCP compliant displays

Improved parental controls

I'm confused, I didn't think toslink had the bandwidth for PCM

·
Registered
757 Posts
This update made a great piece of hardware outstanding.I wasn't expecting them to add all the new features and options they did, especially with all the new sound options.

1080P looks OUT OF THIS WORLD via one of the new 360 Elite's let me tell you.It easily rivals the image on my A20.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

tsyoo said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleyjj /forum/post/0

Call me an idiot but I've updated and can't find any way to output any HD-DVD in DTS like we're supposed to be able to do.

Press "Display" button on remote while watching movie. It will bring OSD.

I would say use your 360 remote to bring up HD DVD Menu. With a MOVIE in your HD DVD Drive hit the "B" button on your controller. The HD DVD Menu will pop-up. Select ADVANCE. Then scroll the options until you get "Audio Options" hit select 7 make your changes...

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.