AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find this addressed anywhere, but a friend told me he thought he'd seen something posted on this. Anyway, here goes:

I have an Xbox 360 Elite (Falcon
), HK AVR 745, and a Sharp Aquos LC-60C46U. The AVR is connected to the Aquos with an HDMI cable (24 AWG, bought through monoprice).

When I try to connect the xbox to the AVR via the included HDMI cable, I get what the Aquos claims is a 1080p signal. However, the picture is unstable (jumps) and has these purple, psychedelic-like moving bands running through it (the audio seems to come through fine).

When I change the xbox to 1080i, it displays fine. When I connect the xbox directly to the TV, it displays fine. I have made sure the receiver is set to "Bypass" for the HDMI input the xbox is connected to (I have tried the Faroudja processing too for kicks, didn't work). I have tried powering them on in different orders, no good. I have tried the other HDMI input on the receiver, same results. (And, just as a note, when I'm in the receiver settings while the xbox is broadcasting 1080p, it claims it's receiving and transmitting 480p, however, when the xbox is set to 1080i, the receiver shows receiving and transmitting 1080i.
)

I'm out of ideas, short of calling HK and/or MS and I'm not real hopeful of those ideas. I know I could go directly to the TV with the HDMI and run the optical to the receiver, but this should be working so I'd like to give it a solid try.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Manufacturer's Info: Digital audio meets digital video. Ready for the future, the AVR 745 is DCDi by Faroudja video processing flawlessly upscales all incoming video to 720p or 1080i high definition and outputs it through an HDMI jack. On the audio side, direct HDMI connection to compatible DVD-Audio players, USB playback from compatible digital audio sources and XM-Ready capability for digital satellite radio greatly expand your digital options. (Optional XM antenna module and subscription to XM service required. Hardware and service sold separately. XM service is not available in Alaska or Hawaii.) Our advanced EzSet/EQ II system, 7.2-channel capability, TC 30 remote and more make this the most flexible AVR we have ever produced.

Thats why you can't get 1080p through the reciever. Did you read the manual?

Quote:
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...%20745&sType=C

Digital audio meets digital video. The AVR 745's DCDi® by Faroudja video processing upscales all incoming video to 720p or 1080i. Two HDMI™ 1.1 inputs are available to decode audio for true single-wire connectivity. Digital audio extras include XM Ready® capability, iPod® playback through The Bridge docking station, and USB playback from compatible computers. Our EzSet/EQ™ II system, 7.2-channel output, TC 30 remote and more make this the most flexible AVR we’ve ever produced.

The website even specifies this info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, does the AVR 745 really not support 1080p?

I was thumbing through it and focusing on the HDMI passthrough info. It didn't really cross my mind that it didn't support 1080p since I've seen it in some of the online ads and it shows up as a setting in the On Screen Displays.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm having this same issue. I understand the AVR says it will 'upscale incoming video to 720p or 1080i' but I'm only interested in 'bypassing' the signal.

Either way - I had the exact same problem trying to get 1080p from the AVR 745 and had no luck with it. The only option I went to was pluging the video from the source directly into the TV and running fiber optic for sound... but then the XBox has the component plug with the fiber optics that when plugged in blocks the HDMI out - so instead of HDMI / Fiber Optics i'm now using component / fiber optics for the 360.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
You can either buy a M$ HDMI pack which comes with a HDMI cable and special slim A/V plug that lets you use both HDMI and digitial audio out or you can mod your existing component A/V plug to fit (instructions has been posted long time ago).

The new XBox slim has digital audio out on the XBox itself.

·
UHD Addict
38,222 Posts
You should be able to pick up the optical dongle cheap from gamestop. I have several at home and they would only give 50 cents for trade in so they must sell them rather cheaply when they have the used ones in stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never got it to passthrough and eventually, with the help of a Harmony for convenience, just went 'around' it. I have mine currently setup with HDMI directly to the TV with optical to the AVR.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I posted a similar issue with my Onkyo rc180 receiver, keeps losing video even on through setting. Did the same thing, hooked it straight to my TV with optical audio to receiver. It sucks, thought I had he issue fixed with my old 360 and messing with the 360 settings. I now have the slim and can't get it to work properly.

With my Onkyo I'm told even when set to pass through it still processes the video, there's a step with a series of button presses that turns it off completely and the 360 works fine but I lose my on screen display such as volume, etc. from the AVR.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Same issues with an HK 247, upgraded the firmware on the receiver as well. I also have it running through a monoprice HDMI splitter. I just set my 360 to 1080i, can't tell a difference. Anyways, arent most if not all 360 games native 720p, I can't think of any that are native 1080p. The 360 just upscales to 1080p, correct?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Actually, quite a number of 360 games aren't even 720p. The 360 upscales the game to whatever resolution you set it to if it needs to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts