AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me what the importance would be to having an HDMI port on an XBOX 360?

Also why does it give me an option to choose 1080p on my 360, I assumed that the highest quality was 1080i?

·
Registered
829 Posts
This has been discussed at great lenghts in the xbox section of this forum. I'd suggest a search in that area and you'll find answers to your questions.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
The biggest importance for some is that they couldn't get the 1080p signal on their set without a digital connection. They didn't have a set that could accept 1080p via VGA or didn't have the VGA port on their set. Plus they'll also have the option to upconvert DVD's to HD resolutions.

·
Registered
21,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/0

The biggest importance for some is that they couldn't get the 1080p signal on their set without a digital connection. They didn't have a set that could accept 1080p via VGA or didn't have the VGA port on their set. Plus they'll also have the option to upconvert DVD's to HD resolutions.

Dont forget about the ability to output the new HD audio formats

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:

It'll be awhile before most can afford a receiver that will deal with Dolby TrueHD. But true that is another aspect.

If the source HDMI device decodes TrueHD, old-fashioned HDMI 1.1 can carry LPCM uncompressed 5.1 sound to your receiver. I believe this is discussed in much more detail in the amps/receivers forum, but it was in the context of people thinking they needed fancy new receivers to get these new sound formats. You just need a receiver that receives uncompressed multichannel digital, and the player can do the decoding.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger999 /forum/post/0

If the source HDMI device decodes TrueHD, old-fashioned HDMI 1.1 can carry LPCM uncompressed 5.1 sound to your receiver. I believe this is discussed in much more detail in the amps/receivers forum, but it was in the context of people thinking they needed fancy new receivers to get these new sound formats. You just need a receiver that receives uncompressed multichannel digital, and the player can do the decoding.

You are correct. Most of the hi-def players on the market that have HDMI decode the audio streams and just pass the decoded signal onto the receiver.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
So besides the PQ improvement what was the purpose of HDMI 1.3? I thought the biggest thing was carrying the audio formats. I would enter the amps/receiver forums but I just know it will be weeks before I'll get that question answered. But even if the above post is true, what games are planned on being encoded in those new formats anyway?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:

Exactamundo ogbuehi!

My JVC HD-56FC97 is the low budget Costco variety that doesn't even have a VGA port. The slightly more expensive FN series does have a VGA port, but it's limited to 1024 x 768... wouldn't be useful for most HDTV purposes anyway, at least where XBox gaming and DVD watching are concerned.

I want the ability to do upscaling via my XBox 360, to 1080i. That way all my my JVC has to do is deinterlace it to 1080p. I know my JVC upscales all inputs to 1080p anyway, but I've heard the XBox 360's HD DVD does a better job of it. With an HDMI cable, I'd at least get a chance to check that out, not to mention have the chance to play native 1080p via the 360's add-on HD-DVD player.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's my setup up. What do I need to get 1080p

The posts here are over my head.

xbox 360

Marantz SR4001

Samsung HLS6767

Connected via component cables now. Will component carry 1080p?

If not what connection should I switch to?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago77 /forum/post/0

Here's my setup up. What do I need to get 1080p

The posts here are over my head.

xbox 360

Marantz SR4001

Samsung HLS6767

Connected via component cables now. Will component carry 1080p?

If not what connection should I switch to?

1080p for what? Games? Movies?

If you do not use your Xbox 360 for DVDs and already of an upconverting DVD player then you just need to set the video resolution setting to 1080p in the Xbox 360 menu. Try it and see if it works. I believe it should because I have the HLS5088 and VGA, component, and HDMI all accept 1080p.

But if you want to use the Xbox 360 to upconvert DVDs to 1080p and Games, and if you have it get 1080p for the HD-DVD Add-on then you will need to go get a Microsoft VGA cable from somewhere like Gamestop or EBGames (can get one for like $10 used) and then again set the resolution to 1080p.

I use VGA.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te /forum/post/0

Dont forget about the ability to output the new HD audio formats

Is USB 2.0 fast enough for both HD Video and Audio?

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick /forum/post/0

I got a Sony XBR960 do I care about HDMI?

Thanks

For Games and HDDVD's, No.

For upscaling dvds, maybe, but you could just buy a svideo cable and let your TV set do the upscaling or watch it at true 480P, both look great on this set, less visible scan lines at 960i (double) and 1080i though and better transfers look better at the higher res.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
If you request any further HDMI information, please use the HDMI forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.