AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
what I would like to see be addressed is will this IPTV xbox version be available to everyone to purchase in the store. Possibly a stretched hint that there will be a revised version this holiday season. Or am I only going to be able to get one of these xbox's from an IPTV provider who will most likely charge me monthly equipment rental fees like with current cable and sat. companies. Unless this is just purely a software update to the current xbox. Only time will tell I guess

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Thanks for the lonk...i have lots of questions too, hopefully Majornelson will keep us informed ..he does have someone on this weeks show talking about it.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Like I said, probably will never become the standard. Too many people still on narrowband, don't own a computer, networking issues. There's too many problems that still need to be overcome. It's the same as 1080p. Too many issues in the way.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/0

Like I said, probably will never become the standard. Too many people still on narrowband, don't own a computer, networking issues. There's too many problems that still need to be overcome. It's the same as 1080p. Too many issues in the way.

After companies like verizon have spent billions upon billions bringing fiber to the home I don't think it is going to be replaced by anything in the near future other than an impossibly good wireless network. Fiber is very young and has huge potential, just look how far copper wire has come over the years. As far as using IPTV on the xbox goes, you just have to be lucky enough to have a provider that is going to carry it, I don't see it becoming too prevalent until very late in the 360's lifespan.

·
Registered
496 Posts
All I can say is WOW, that is incredible, it is going to bring an order of magnitude of more video channels and recordings directly accessible in the home, in HD quality. I wonder how much the cable/media companies plan on charging for those services. It's a whole new channel guide of on demand video. It makes PPV and VOD look like nothing.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I did hear him say it records to the HDD of the 360.. Also watch the video and look at the HDD on that 360.. Looks different than the one I have.. It looks alot taller.. And did he say people that have access to this in there area can get a 360 through them as the setup box?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My understanding of this service is that it will be offered by specific providers only in select markets initially. Customers who are fortunate enough to get IPTV service from a provider would then have an option to use a xbox 360 as a "receiver" or they could use a set top box from their provider. The network used to deliver the service is "managed" therefore you can expect a quality of service. IPTV is meant to replace your current cable/sat. providers like TimeWarner or Dish Network. I've read that a new xbox 360 is slated to be released late 2007 that will include a bigger hard drive, etc. It will probably coincide with the initial rollout of the IPTV service.

The biggest thing that gets me about all of this is that I feel like MS is all over the map when it comes to home entertainment. I mean, they have Windows Media Center Edition, the 360 video market place, I heard about an agreement with DirecTV and now this IPTV. Their strategy seems confusing but maybe I just don't understand how each of these services/products work?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.