AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a demo of the Xbox Kinect at the blue store I sold my ps3 and "Jumped In and I am addicted to it!!"

If you haven't tried it you owe it too yourself to, I cant begin to tell you how impressed I am with this young gaming platform(X and the KInect) and the possibilities it holds!!

Anyway, my problem is that netflix streaming to my 1080p projector at 106" is in a word, horrible and unwatchable to me. I am not trying to incite and flame wars I am just wondering if there is something I am not doing that I missed because it is unwatchable at its current state and coming from the ps3 it is very noticable.

That being said, I love it as a gaming machine.

Now, I just need to find a decent Bluray player that has internet Netflix streaming and I will be fine.

Does anyone else have this issue and what BD player did you get to resolve it?

Also who has a kinect and is what are the best games?

My gamer tag is: mesokewl

peace

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/0

So, after a demo of the Xbox Kinect at the blue store I sold my ps3 and "Jumped In and I am addicted to it!!"

If you haven't tried it you owe it too yourself to, I cant begin to tell you how impressed I am with this young gaming platform(X and the KInect) and the possibilities it holds!!

Anyway, my problem is that netflix streaming to my 1080p projector at 106" is in a word, horrible and unwatchable to me. I am not trying to incite and flame wars I am just wondering if there is something I am not doing that I missed because it is unwatchable at its current state and coming from the ps3 it is very noticable.

That being said, I love it as a gaming machine.

Now, I just need to find a decent Bluray player that has internet Netflix streaming and I will be fine.

Does anyone else have this issue and what BD player did you get to resolve it?

Also who has a kinect and is what are the best games?

My gamer tag is: mesokewl

peace

Just in case you are not aware... only some of the instant titles are available in HD and PQ is determined by connection speed. I have never thought of the PQ as terrible.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff /forum/post/19546931

Just in case you are not aware... only some of the instant titles are available in HD and PQ is determined by connection speed. I have never thought of the PQ as terrible.

Yea, I know that some are hd and some SD. The picture quality is only passable and good if you have never seen it on a ps3 or similar device. I am going to pick up a Sony bluray player on black Friday.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am watching on my ps3 now (I usually watch on the 360). The ps3 interface is horrible compared to the 360 but the 360 does take longer to buffer to get the best pq. It is only like ten seconds of so.

·
Registered
205 Posts
CONNECTION SPEED is the issue my friend

I have both an Xbox and a blurayer player, Samsung...

There are only small differences in pic quality between the two and on any given day, the xbox seems to buffer less than the bluray player. And as someone else mentioned, the xbox interface is MUCH better giving you the ability to browse categories, and even do text searches for a particular title..all impossible on the bluray.

I have had Netflix since day 1 and the Pic quality really is completely dependent on Connection speed AND Netflix's server load. eg. If you try to watch a movie at 7pm with a DSL connection and your xbox is hooked up using a crappy wireless G router from 10yrs ago....... YEs Adam Sandler's head will be represented by one HUGE SQUARE pink pixel

So check your connection speed with Speedtest.net and get a wired connection to your box with a good router like a Netgear WNDR3700 (gigabit wired, N-wireless) and you'll be watchin in HD...uuuh...most of the time!

·
Registered
19,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch42 /forum/post/19547676

I am watching on my ps3 now (I usually watch on the 360). The ps3 interface is horrible compared to the 360

This is not true. I have both platforms and have to say the PS3's new front-end is much better than the 360's plain-jane one (there are multiple versions of the PS3 app). Just the fact that you can search from the PS3 app kills it. Hopefully the 360 app will be updated soon, but given the fact you have to have a gold membership to use it, I don't see myself using it much.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/19548035

This is not true. I have both platforms and have to say the PS3's new front-end is much better than the 360's plain-jane one (there are multiple versions of the PS3 app). Just the fact that you can search from the PS3 app kills it. Hopefully the 360 app will be updated soon, but given the fact you have to have a gold membership to use it, I don't see myself using it much.

Umm, the Netflix app was updated in the latest Xbox Fall Update. You can search within the app now.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
For OP's question, I agree with everyone here that it's your connection speed that affects the PQ. XBox Netflix player implements bit rate shifting on fly technique rather than buffering up. So, if you connection is not up to par, your PQ will go to craps. There are a few ways to work around this: pause and let the movie buffer up or play it in party mode where the PQ stays constant.

OTOH, The recent PS3 update allows 1080p and DD 5.1 audio for Netflix. Not sure how many titles actually carry that kind of resolution and audio. But certain sounds better than we got on XBox 360 so far.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Netflix looks fine with Xbox 360 on my 67" HDTV. I only have 3Mbps internet speed, and am watching Netflix movies via wireless which is about half the speed of a wired connection.

If I ever have any serious video problem with Netflix, I'll just drag a long Ethernet cable to the Xbox.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm using it on a 120" screen and like others have said, it depends on your connection.

In fact, I was watching "Gamer" last Fri nite and noticed it looked DVD'ish when the movie started...then about 10 mins in the movie, I got a "your connection is being blah blah" and it rebuffered and suddenly, the picture looked way better (compressed HD).

Then I found back from my toddlers that they were both streaming videos from nickjr.com on 2 laptops at the same time. So make sure you home network is not conjested in the first place. I got Comcast cable BTW.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figured out the issue, it was connection speed. For some reason, attdsl was lowered to 1.5 and i called CS and finally the guy hit a switch and my speed was back up.

But even after that, my panasonic BD player has better picture quality than my xbox and the PS3 Netflix interface is way better than the xbox and faster.

The selling point of the xbox was games....Kinect pwns both the wii and ps3 move.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts