AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear people complain that the XBOX 360 is too loud while others say its barely noticable. Since loudness is very subjective I wanted to check the sound from my XBOX 360 with a digital sound level meter. You can get one of these meters from a variety of places like Radio Shack. A lot of others on this forum may have a SL meter and I encourage you to test your XBOX 360 and post your results here. I think this will help set the record straight as to how loud the XBOX 360 really is. :D

Sound Meter placement - 1 inch away and in the middle of the rear vents (directly inbetween the power cable and av cable connection). Sound Meter set to range 70. Response - Fast and Weighting - A.

XBOX 360 Position: Horizontal

XBOX 360 Born Date: 11-19-2005

Dashboard SL Reading: 61-62 dB

Playing Game SL Reading: 66-67 dB

(tested with PGR3)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard
How does that compare to the original Xbox from a similar distance, or a PC, or other components?

When you consider that reference range for home theater is 75db....the 360 is noisy. Another comparison: normal conversation is around 60db. A better test though would be to measure the levels from your sitting position...no one is listening to the thing from one inch away.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think measuring directly in front of the fans will throw off the measurements - sort of like when you blow into a microphone. My measurement from the front of the console with a game disk playing were around 54dB.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't even notice it. My pc with 5 fans about the same distance as my 360 drowns out any noise the 360 kicks out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
Sound Meter placement - 1 inch away and in the middle of the rear vents (directly inbetween the power cable and av cable connection). Sound Meter set to range 70. Response - Fast and Weighting - A.

XBOX 360 Position: Horizontal

XBOX 360 Born Date: 11-19-2005

Dashboard SL Reading: 61-62 dB

Playing Game SL Reading: 66-67 dB

(tested with PGR3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader
I think measuring directly in front of the fans will throw off the measurements - sort of like when you blow into a microphone. My measurement from the front of the console with a game disk playing were around 54dB.
I aslo get 54-55 dbs from the front of the console while playing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.