AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in Gameinformer #178 February 2008: "Xbox 360's HD-DVD add-on peripheral has only sold 296,000 units in America, representing 3.4 percent of all 360 owners in this country".

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus67 /forum/post/12869210

in Gameinformer #178 February 2008: "Xbox 360's HD-DVD add-on peripheral has only sold 296,000 units in America, representing 3.4 percent of all 360 owners in this country".

A lot of 360 owners bought standalones instead. and it also shows that gamers aren't necessarily interested in movies... they're more interested in games. pops a hole in sony's "look at all the players" argument.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehalper1x /forum/post/12869301

A lot of 360 owners bought standalones instead. and it also shows that gamers aren't necessarily interested in movies... they're more interested in games. pops a hole in sony's "look at all the players" argument.

This is a catch 22 problem. Most people who bought it thought it would be convienent, such as myself, others probably wanted to experience something more with a stand alone player...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the 360 add on the first month when it came out, only because it was so much cheaper than stand alones at the time. If it were today, comparing prices of the stand alones, I wouldn't even consider the 360 add on. I'm considering a stand alone now for ease of use and the fact that my older 360 only does component

·
Registered
312 Posts
And when you consider that the 3rd place console (PS3) is actually helping Blu-ray sales you realize how niche the HDM market is right now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Everyone of those HDDVD players that MS sold for the xbox guarantees HD movies sales, and its hooked up to an HDTV.

Sony's 800 000 PS3's that where sold over the holiday (or whatever the numbers) don't guarantee movie sales , and how many of those PS3's are gonna be hooked up to an HDTV.... at least anyone that wanted a HDDVD player recognizes that they need an HDTV, where as the PS3 community may not.

for example I own a PS3 and Xbox with addon, my wife and I watched a movie tonight upstairs on our 27" SDTV and didn't bother with the 106" projector because we have a new baby and wanted to be upstairs. I told her I wanted to watch a bluray and she said , bring the PS3 upstairs, I laughed and explained to her that, that would be like hooking up a VCR to a HDTV and expecting a good picture.

I am sure alot of people think like that.

Sorry gotta little off topic near the end

·
Registered
791 Posts
There is a simple answer to that.

I bought a A2 just before the BB announcement. I would have bought a Xbox 360 with a HD player because cost wise they would have been close and I would have gotten a free game machine.

Lack of audio support stopped it for me. What good is HD-DVD if your only getting 1/2 the experience? Sound is more important than video for me.

The PS3 on the other hand is the best BD player on the market with support for everything.

So there is one lost Xbox 360/HD-DVD sale, and plenty more because when people asked me about HD-DVD and Xbox I told them the same thing, no support for hires audio and no point in purchasing. Your buying into a un-upgradeable piece of hardware that is lacking support for what even the cheapest HD-DVD player has.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As an Xbox 360 owner I don't care about HD-DVD, and many others don't, as the rate of add-on sales showed. Microsoft said earlier they weren't going to burden the Xbox with the cost of an expensive new unproven technology. Sony, as a hardware & media company and not a software company chose to burden the PS3, which lead to the PS3 struggling as a gaming console while helping the BD camp greatly. If you've read the other threads there was a link to an article that suggested Sony's action has effectively resulted in pushing BD at the expense of capturing game console share. Everyone agrees the PS3 has been hurt by its high price, but Sony is betting long here. It seems they weren't kidding when they said they saw this as a platform with 10 years of life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts