AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say Happy Birthday Xbox 360. You've had a strong first 5 years. Still, I can't help but think... where's the next one? As much as I'm enjoying current 360 games, I'm start to see the seams of this generations graphics technology. I think we've pretty much seen what the 360 is capable of. You can have an amazing game on this hardware, but there are definitely limitations.

Peeps out there that have high end gaming rigs know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I don't have a high-end PC gaming rig. I'm stuck playing 360 and PS3 games.

I'm not saying that I'm desperate for a new console, but I just wish that I knew that one was coming at the very least by November 2012. On it's 7 year birthday.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Better chances of Nov 2014 than Nov 2012 IMO.

Of course high end gaming rigs can do more though. The top graphics card alone costs more than a 360.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
I really missed these wonderful threads that anthony1 starts.... where have you been the past few months?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/19531990

I really missed these wonderful threads that anthony1 starts.... where have you been the past few months?

Hey.... It's been awhile since anybody has discussed the possibility of a new console. Obviously, most people don't want to talk about it, because they know it isn't coming anytime soon. In fact, the more successful that Kinect is, the longer the delay for the next box.

Having said that, "first mover's advantage" is something that Microsoft very much enjoyed last go-round, and they have to know that Nintendo is going to have a new piece of kit soon.

Everybody is sleeping on Nintendo imo. Think about how much money Nintendo saved on their last console, by simply shrinking a GameCube and adding Wi-Fi and a new control method? They saved TONS of money. Sure, they spent alot of that working on the 3DS, but if you look at Nintendo's stock filings, they are spending huge amounts of $$$ on R & D. Alot of that is the 3DS, but you can bess believe that a good portion of that is for their Wii follow up. If you think about the power of various graphics cards now, and the amount of ram that could be included, Nintendo could come out with a relatively inexpensive Wii HD for $299.99, and it could make the PS3 and Xbox 360 look silly from a graphical standpoint. Nintendo is working with IBM, and of course ATI, so they definitely could come out of nowhere with a trump card, and have a huge first movers advantage to the next level.

I think MS is very much aware of this, and I'm sure they have a contingency plan in the works. The wildcard is Kinect. If Kinect is "too" successful, then the next console will simply be held back. That's my only concern.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Instead of a new console, how about better games?

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore /forum/post/19532166

Instead of a new console, how about better games?

and instead of releasing 480hz tvs how about focus on creating consoles and devices that output 120hz

·
Registered
7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/19532035

Everybody is sleeping on Nintendo imo. Think about how much money Nintendo saved on their last console, by simply shrinking a GameCube and adding Wi-Fi and a new control method? They saved TONS of money. Sure, they spent alot of that working on the 3DS, but if you look at Nintendo's stock filings, they are spending huge amounts of $$$ on R & D. Nintendo is working with IBM, and of course ATI, so they definitely could come out of nowhere with a trump card, and have a huge first movers advantage to the next level.

I think MS is very much aware of this, and I'm sure they have a contingency plan in the works. The wildcard is Kinect. If Kinect is "too" successful, then the next console will simply be held back. That's my only concern.

I think MS is only really watching Sony. Nintendo is easy to watch because they need to make a profit on their consoles immediately. They have no other business but video games. That's why Nintendo will never be bleeding edge because it cuts into the profits too much. They hype up the 3DS as high tech and it's a nice system but nothing is particularly high tech about it except for the fact that it uses a lenticular screen. Sure, the new Nintendo console will be a big improvement over the Wii and it'll most likely be out before sony and ms, but it won't make a generational leap over the 360 and PS3.

MS will wait as long as possible. They're making a profit and the 360 is successful. As long as they come out ahead for the next gen, they'll continue to cut into the Sony mindshare. Each generation, people will be less tied to the Playstation brand. To go from the 90% marketshare with the PS2 to where the PS3 is, is startling. It's amazing how far the 360 has come along since during the last gen, everyone was predicting a far distant third for the 360 and it's far exceeded all expectations.

I think MS will look deep for all signs of Sony moving and then go hard when there is some evidence of it. In the mean time, design the next gen system and update specs until it's time to commit and set the specs in stone. I think Sony will be more focused and go really hard to meet goals and deadlines in the next gen so MS has to watch out.

Besides, I could use the time off. My setup is getting a little crowded. The only systems I've boxed up are my Atari Lynx, SNES, PS1, and Dreamcast. My Xbox1 is on the verge of being boxed up (it's only still around for XBMC, Karaoke Revolution, Yourself Fitness, Outrun, and a handful of other games). My Atari Jaguar is still hanging around for NBA Jam and a couple other games. My PS2 is still around for the Guitar Hero mods (but also on the verge of being boxed). And my PS3 and 360 are mainstays. My brother's Wii still has a place here too. My PC setup could use some upgrading. It's been a couple years since I got a new graphics card.

That said, I think MS and Sony will announce new consoles at next year's E3 and set it for a couple years from now. Then it'll be a race to the finish line.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/19532383

I think MS is only really watching Sony. Nintendo is easy to watch because they need to make a profit on their consoles immediately. They have no other business but video games. That's why Nintendo will never be bleeding edge because it cuts into the profits too much.

Well, yeah, Nintendo was making a strong profit off every Wii sold from the beginning, but this is the first time in their History that they have made such a huge profit off their home console hardware so early in it's lifespan. The Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 both were probably sold at a slight loss initially (especially the N64). The GameCube was probably sold at a "break-even" point, initially.The Wii is actually the exception for them. Now, having said that, their shareholders would love them to continue along this track, but I think if Nintendo is smart, they need to understand that the Wii was a once in a lifetime type product for them, where everything lined up absolutely perfectly for them. It was the perfect storm. Nintendo's been in this game long enough to know that things can change swiftly in the home console wars from one generation to the next.

I don't expect Nintendo to sell their next console way, way, way below cost like the PS3, nor still well below cost like the Xbox 360, but I wouldn't be shocked to see their next console debut at $299.99, while having a slightly higher cost to Nintendo to bring to market (initially). Nintendo has to know that things aren't going be to as easy this next round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/19532383

Sure, the new Nintendo console will be a big improvement over the Wii and it'll most likely be out before sony and ms, but it won't make a generational leap over the 360 and PS3.

Obviously, I don't think the Nintendo hardware will be anywhere near as powerful as the PS4 or Xbox 3, but I think you might be underestimating the situation a bit. The 360 is OLD hardware at this point. The 360 was released in November of 2005. This means that the hardware design was pretty much locked down sometime in early to mid 2004. That's some really old technology by today's standards. Nintendo has their relationship with IBM and AMD (ATI), so I expect them to continue with this relationship. The follow up to the Wii should have considerably more horsepower than both the 360 and PS3. Just think of the ram part of the equation. Developers could do so much more with the 360 and PS3 if there was just some more ram inside the boxes. Nintendo will be able to have enough ram inside their box that even just that improvement alone would give them a huge advantage from a hardware standpoint. The GPU that they put in there should theoretically be capable of true 1080p gaming, even at 60 frames per second. Imagine Super Mario Galaxy 3 in all it's 1080p glory. I think Nintendo can easily win back all the hardcore gamers that really haven't been interested in Nintendo systems since early in the N64's lifespan. 3rd party developers should be able to put their Borderlands and Bioshocks and Grand Theft Auto's on the Wii HD, and those games will look much better than their 360 and PS3 counterparts. This, along with Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and everybody else running in full 1080p, should win back all the hardcore gamers that haven't lusted after a 3rd party game on a Nintendo platform since Shadows of the Empire and Turok back on the N64.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
nintendo is all about high volume and low cost.

if anything, the "wii hd" would match that of the xbox 360/ps3 and still try to play catch up.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh, NO! I want the current Xbox 360 to stick around until 2013 or at least 2012 -a.k.a. "The End of the World".

Why? Graphics are not going to improve that much. Sure 1080p will look better than 720p, but what studio or publisher has the cash to push those limits. Some current Gen. 720p games don't look as good as Resident Evil 4 or God of War II.

The DVD-Rom is great for streaming games with quick load times. Unless Microsoft resurrects HD-DVD or creates a new format, they will have to go Blu-ray. Sony will get a cut on all xbox profits; load times and updates will take forever.

The focus should be on Better Games with the current hardware advantages and limitations. Thank Kinect for at-least another FIVE years of Xbox360.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove /forum/post/19533194

The DVD-Rom is great for streaming games with quick load times. Unless Microsoft resurrects HD-DVD or creates a new format, they will have to go Blu-ray. Sony will get a cut on all xbox profits; load times and updates will take forever.

I know it sounds crazy, but I think the next-gen MS box will be cartridge based! And those cartridges will be some kind of USB stick with hardware encryption/copy protection scheme. That would take of the load times, storage capacity, and Sony royalties for BD all in one whack.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus /forum/post/19533344

I know it sounds crazy, but I think the next-gen MS box will be cartridge based! And those cartridges will be some kind of USB stick with hardware encryption/copy protection scheme. That would take of the load times, storage capacity, and Sony royalties for BD all in one whack.

Interesting idea - it has a lot of merit and makes a lot of sense. Is the economy of that medium similar to DVDs though? I mean, a DVD has to cost Microsoft, what? A fraction of a penny?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I thought the next gen games would come via the internet. No more hardcopies of anything. I know it doesn't cost much to produce a DVD but what about the box and cover cost? The USB is a great idea but does a usb cost less than a DVD? I would like the xbox to stay around for a while longer. I mean, Kinect just came out and they are talking about a newer more better version. Unless the Kinect can be use on the next gen console. I bet it will too.

But for now, I like my xbox 360S. I also have the PS3 and other then the blu-ray, the xbox is leaps and bounds compared to the online experience. I can't imagine what will be next. That's why Im a consumer and not a game developer. How many more buttons can a controller be? The wii is just good to have. I think it looks great next to the tv but that's about it. Remember Neo Geo? A $600 game console that only a few can afford. I rather go the arcade to play instead.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /forum/post/19533537

I thought the next gen games would come via the internet. No more hardcopies of anything. I know it doesn't cost much to produce a DVD but what about the box and cover cost? The USB is a great idea but does a usb cost less than a DVD? I would like the xbox to stay around for a while longer. I mean, Kinect just came out and they are talking about a newer more better version. Unless the Kinect can be use on the next gen console. I bet it will too.

But for now, I like my xbox 360S. I also have the PS3 and other then the blu-ray, the xbox is leaps and bounds compared to the online experience. I can't imagine what will be next. That's why Im a consumer and not a game developer. How many more buttons can a controller be? The wii is just good to have. I think it looks great next to the tv but that's about it. Remember Neo Geo? A $600 game console that only a few can afford. I rather go the arcade to play instead.

I agree with this, xbox 720 or ps4 will have the cloud in mind, no discs and maybe not even a HDD, maybe just minimal SSD drives. That's why I doubt we'll see the next consoles before 2016 or so. Xbox has Kinect and PS has Move to extend the current generation

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus /forum/post/19533344

That's a great Idea, too great..Microsoft would complicate it some-how.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove /forum/post/19533194

Oh, NO! I want the current Xbox 360 to stick around until 2013 or at least 2012 -a.k.a. "The End of the World".

Why? Graphics are not going to improve that much. Sure 1080p will look better than 720p, but what studio or publisher has the cash to push those limits. Some current Gen. 720p games don't look as good as Resident Evil 4 or God of War II.

The focus should be on Better Games with the current hardware advantages and limitations. Thank Kinect for at-least another FIVE years of Xbox360.

How about 1080p with 4xAA vs. 600p with 2xAA? Have you played Modern Warfare (either one) on the PC? Its not even close to a top tier PC game, yet it looks light years better on PC than it does on either console.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/19533823

How about 1080p with 4xAA vs. 600p with 2xAA? Have you played Modern Warfare (either one) on the PC? Its not even close to a top tier PC game, yet it looks light years better on PC than it does on either console.

I agree, but That's Activision/Infinity Ward, most developers won't go all out on native 1080p graphics.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
1) Me thinks 2012 or 2013.

2) Me thinks $60 Flash USB Games or $40-50 Downloadable Games. No optical disc whatsoever.

3) Me thinks 1TB+ harddrives, USB 3.0, and dumbed down versions of the fastest current chip technology (Nvidia & Intel).

4) Me thinks absolute 1080P support across the board. You need a DEFINITE reason to get people to upgrade from their current systems.

The above solutions punishes Sony on 2 fronts. By skipping BR again.. and by using current chip technology game manufacters will again have easier, more common tools to code with.. and will *again* have a cheaper & out-the-box headstart on whatever overly-sophisticated SuperCell components Sony will no doubtedly put into the PS4. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

·
Registered
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/19533865

1) Me thinks 2012 or 2013.

2) Me thinks $60 Flash USB Games or $40-50 Downloadable Games. No optical disc whatsoever.

3) Me thinks 1TB+ harddrives, USB 3.0, and dumbed down versions of the fastest current chip technology (Nvidia & Intel).

4) Me thinks absolute 1080P support across the board. You need a DEFINITE reason to get people to upgrade from their current systems.

The above solutions punishes Sony on 2 fronts. By skipping BR again.. and by using current chip technology game manufacters will again have easier, more common tools to code with.. and will *again* have a cheaper & out-the-box headstart on whatever overly-sophisticated SuperCell components Sony will no doubtedly put into the PS4. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

Hopefully Microsoft will engineer it properly as many will wonder what quality they are buying w/ a Rev 1 console. I know I would - I don't think I'd be first in line that's for sure. I'd be waiting to see how they function and behave before spending money.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.